Options

Books for the CCENT/CCNA

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Hello everyone,

I know there are many opinions but I would still like to ask this. I decided that I need to start working on the CCNA steadily while I am working on my BS. I want to split the Certification in two ICND1 then ICND2. What books should I get? Also, I own a 3550 but I see on here that almost everyone is told to get 2 switches and 2 routers. I don't mind that but I get a little nervous about what to buy with all the choices on eBay, etc. Money is tight and I don't want to waste it. Thanks again guys :)

Comments

• Options
    rterrasirterrasi Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone,

I know there are allot of opinions but I would still like to ask this. I decided that I need to start working on the CCNA steadily while I am working on my BS. I want to split the Certification in two ICND1 then ICND2. What books should I get? Also, I own a 3550 but I see on here that almost everyone is told to get 2 switches and 2 routers. I don't mind that but I get a little nervous about what to buy with all the choices on eBay, etc. Money is tight and I don't want to waste it. Thanks again guys :)

While people may have different opinions, I found that the Todd Lammle CCNA book from Sybex is not helping me much. While Odem's books are good and informative, it has the yawn->gag->snore factor. The one book I have found very useful is the CCNA exam Prep second edition by Jeremy Cioara. I am supplementing this with both Trainsignal and CBT Nuggets. Like I said, everyone has different opinions, and what works for one does not work for the other.

PS: Since money is tight, if you would like I would be happy to provide you with the PDF version of the Exam prep book. People have helped me out in the past. Let me know.
  • Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    I had odoms books from CP and the todd lammle CCNA study guide. I found Todd Lammle to be easier to read and explain things in a more clear and concise mannar.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    I thank you both for your help :)

What should I get as far routers though, and what would be a sensible price to pay?
  • Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    I used the devices in my signiture, minus the 3550, for my CCNA studies. you can get 12 port 2950s for about 50 to 75 $ and the 2621 for about 80 or less. 1721s are pretty cheap too, maybe $60. you might want to stay away from the 2509s and get something with more FA ports, like another 1721 or 26XX. The only thing about the 1721s is that they are not rack mountable.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If money is tight, the single best resource is by far the books by Odom.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I used the Cisco Press ICND1 and ICND2 books. I thought they were well drawn out and well explained. I didn't have any issues understanding the material. Everyone is different. If you get one set and don't like them, check out another.
  • Options
    I purchased this book yesterday:

Amazon.com: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide, 2nd Edition (9781587201820): Wendell Odom: Books

I think I may pick up the Exam Cram as well. Should I purchase some 2600s and another 3550 for the lab?
  • Options
    verbalaverbala Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I love my new CCNA Exam Prepbook, it's big and packed full of great info in an excellent format that makes learning easy in comparison with some other books...
  • Options
    lucifer_samlucifer_sam Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've recently picked up my CCNA study again after a break of nearly a year. I've got the Sybex study guide and the Cisco press OECGs for both ICND1 and 2 from last time and have to admit that I prefer Todd Lammles style of writing. But like others have already said, everyone is different.

I've just purchased the CCNA Exam Cram book by Que becuase I coudn't face reading nearly 1000 pages of text again! The Exam Cram book's great for me because it's written for revising, not learning and because of its smaller size, it's ideal for taking to work to read on the bus and during lunch breaks.

LS.
  • Options
    The ICND books were good for me to take to work :) LOL. Everyone in my department was like WOW are we studying for a certification? I was like YEP, CCNA. Then they all knew I passed because my boss sent out a message to everyone. Then they said what's next? I said well you're going to see me carry a bunch of more books in here toward the CCNP LOL.
  • Options
    The Exam Cram book's great for me because it's written for revising, ...

I agree. I am planning on buying one for the CCENT/CCNA as well. I have used it for the Network+, and now the Security+ that I intend on passing next month.

Thanks again for all the comments. Now if I can just figure out what routers and extra switches I need to buy icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Would a couple of 2600s and another 3550 be enough for the CCENT and CCNA studies? Also, how do I know what firmware I need on the device icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd try to get three switches. 2950s are fine. I believe you want two 3550s (or better) for BCMSN though, so you might want to add another 3550 and a 2950 or something.

I'm selling various 2500 and 2600 routers with various WICs/NMs if you (or anyone else) is interested.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'd try to get three switches. 2950s are fine. I believe you want two 3550s (or better) for BCMSN though, so you might want to add another 3550 and a 2950 or something.

I'm selling various 2500 and 2600 routers with various WICs/NMs if you (or anyone else) is interested.

How many routers should I get then? Two? I know I am repeating my question, but how do I know what IOS to use? Would the standard ones be fine?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello everyone,

I know there are allot of opinions but I would still like to ask this. I decided that I need to start working on the CCNA steadily while I am working on my BS. I want to split the Certification in two ICND1 then ICND2. What books should I get? Also, I own a 3550 but I see on here that almost everyone is told to get 2 switches and 2 routers. I don't mind that but I get a little nervous about what to buy with all the choices on eBay, etc. Money is tight and I don't want to waste it. Thanks again guys :)

If money is tight get yourself a few 2500 series routers with tranceivers. They are going for a song these days but it's real gear. I have 11 at home in a rack and with 12.x installed I can do IGP/BGP stuff, multicast and a lot of IP services things. Some things in IPv6, QoS etc give me difficulty because I dont have the features I need and lack of subinterfaces is a bind. But you can still do a lot of useful stuff.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You might want to get something like a 2520 for frame-relay and then 2-3 on top of that.

CCNA is pretty basic, so even older IOS images should do everything you need. You might miss out on something like SSH support, but you shouldn't have any problems with anything major.
  • Options
    The stuff you guys are telling me is going right over my head... icon_rolleyes.gif Once I get the books I ordered I will probably understand what I need even better. So how I am interpreting it I need at least two routers and two switches. I think I will probably get a couple 2500s (maybe one that has frame relay) and a couple more switches (just cheap 2950s).

Now a router with Frame Relay also does all the normal router functions right? So I could just get two routers and one them could have Frame Relay functions correct?
  • Options
    I would recommend a 2500 for your frame-relay switch and two routers, possibly the 2600xm series, you can get 2610xm's for about $90 each, and then two 2950's. These will be useful also if you decide to go on beyond the CCNA. The reason I say this is you can practice with more than one router on frame-relay. If you only have two one is going to be your frame-relay switch, you can't do much practicing with only one router. Plus the 2600xm's will support mostly all the newer features that you need.
  • Options
    I would recommend a 2500 for your frame-relay switch and two routers, possibly the 2600xm series, you can get 2610xm's for about $90 each, and then two 2950's. These will be useful also if you decide to go on beyond the CCNA. The reason I say this is you can practice with more than one router on frame-relay. If you only have two one is going to be your frame-relay switch, you can't do much practicing with only one router. Plus the 2600xm's will support mostly all the newer features that you need.

Thanks Bill, I think I will do exactly that.
  • Options
    Well I bought the equipment at last:

2 2501s at $20 each.
    1 3524XL at $60

Now I just need to find a place to buy rack mount kits at cheap price. I think the $20 price on eBay is a little ridiculous. Anyone have any ideas?
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    back to the topic of books, I've just gotten a copy of a CP book from a co-worker, the CCNA Self-Study CCNA INTRO Exam Certification Guide which I believe is from 2005 .. It mentions the intro exam as the 811 exam and the ICND as 822.. I'm not sure what's what..

I'm looking to not get overwhelmed and to get my feet wet with the ICND1, but I have a couple questions: A) is this book still current enough for the 822 exam and B) is this too much info for the CCENT or not enough?
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Piers wrote: »
    A) is this book still current enough for the 822 exam and B) is this too much info for the CCENT or not enough?
    A) No
    B) Not Enough.

About 25% of the 640-802 CCNA is "new" compared to the old 640-801.

When talking about the "old" INTRO exam -- you learned a lot of the networking trivia, subnetting, and the IOS CLI and maybe ACLs for the INTRO exam. Now for the ICND1 exam you blast through the trivia, must master subnetting, and must know the CLI, ACLs, AND be able to setup a small network with routing. Big difference -- a bunch of the "old ICND" info "moved down" to the first exam to make room for the new stuff in the CCNA (and ICND2 exam)
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Mike, I see that I probably couldn't have had a more qualified person answer icon_lol.gif

I figure I'll get through this book as a base and then find another source to complement and finish the objectives..

Many thanks!
    P
    mikej412 wrote: »
    A) No
    B) Not Enough.

About 25% of the 640-802 CCNA is "new" compared to the old 640-801.

When talking about the "old" INTRO exam -- you learned a lot of the networking trivia, subnetting, and the IOS CLI and maybe ACLs for the INTRO exam. Now for the ICND1 exam you blast through the trivia, must master subnetting, and must know the CLI, ACLs, AND be able to setup a small network with routing. Big difference -- a bunch of the "old ICND" info "moved down" to the first exam to make room for the new stuff in the CCNA (and ICND2 exam)
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    I am almost done with the Odom book on the CCENT. I feel like the CCENT builds very well on top of the Network+, I am confident about my understanding of the CCENT concepts that are non-command related. I figure I should be ready for the test by the beginning of March.
  • Options
    ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    I have the Odom ICND1 & 2 books, Lammle(back from the 640-801) and cisco ccna commands study guide. I was planning on buying CBT nuggets but the budget was low and bought Palaestra training all I can say is I wish I waited and bought CBT. I picking up CCNA 640-802 Network Simulator its about $40 cheaper in amazon. I'm putting these together and see how it goes ICND1 test mid-late January 2010.
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
  • Options
  • Options
    ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    trying to get it all in.!!!
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."