Options

SDM Woes

SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
Hey guys,

I've got another issue with SDM. I've already solved my other issues with it by downgrading my java install. This problem is as I'm running though the site to site IPSec VPN config, it gets completely through the install and then when I get to the final stage where it's actually configuring the changes, it fails with an error that basically says that SDM stopped responding, and it then restarts. I don't have the exact error because I'm not at home but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this particular issue and what they did to fix the issue. I have to be able to run SDM for the ISCW, but I'm unable to completely configure at least that. Today was the first day I'm seriously sitting down and labbing, and I saw this problem. So anyone see this?
In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Can't say I have run into that one. Might want to play with some other Java versions. Are you using real routers or GNS?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hey guys,

I've got another issue with SDM. I've already solved my other issues with it by downgrading my java install. This problem is as I'm running though the site to site IPSec VPN config, it gets completely through the install and then when I get to the final stage where it's actually configuring the changes, it fails with an error that basically says that SDM stopped responding, and it then restarts. I don't have the exact error because I'm not at home but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this particular issue and what they did to fix the issue. I have to be able to run SDM for the ISCW, but I'm unable to completely configure at least that. Today was the first day I'm seriously sitting down and labbing, and I saw this problem. So anyone see this?

I had a similar issue with the sdm. I was able to fix it with a quick uninstall/reinstall (on both the router and computer). I was using real routers.
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Seems like we are always on the same tests and labs! Are you running the sdm from the pc or is it installed on the router(s)? If its on the routers, try installing it on the pc and see if that resolves the problem. Hows the studies going anyways? I have been doing those lame ol' sdm configs as well, fortunately they have been working fine for me. I would rather use the cli for P2P IPSEC configs anyday.
  • Options
    So far it's only been on PC. I havent installed SDM on the routers yet. I am using real routers, two 2600xm series.

• Options
    The exact error is this;

Connection lost.

SDM lost the connection to your router because of a communication error. SDM will shut down when you click the ok button.

Re-launch SDM to continue working. Enter the same URL you used to re-start SDM.

This pops up after attempting to finalize the configuration on at least the site to site vpn. I havent tried anything else yet.

• Options
    One more note, i've tried it on both routers, and on two different computers. I'm getting the same error. One machine is running Windows Server 2008, the other Vista.

It also appears to be anything I do using SDM. SDM just isnt working as far as configuring the router. I cant find any info on this error.

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The exact error is this;

Connection lost.

SDM lost the connection to your router because of a communication error. SDM will shut down when you click the ok button.

Re-launch SDM to continue working. Enter the same URL you used to re-start SDM.

This pops up after attempting to finalize the configuration on at least the site to site vpn. I havent tried anything else yet.

I had this exact issue. I fixed it by changing the cabling I use to connect to the router. I actually did an extended ping and I noticed some packet loss (about 25 percent, both ways). I reseated the cable to no avail. Finally I changed the cable and it worked. I was not setting up a vpn though but maybe that will help.

EDIT After reading you other post: Have you tried different cables? I have had several issues on my 1721. The first was simply that the sdm kept crashing whenever it launched (the resolution for that was an uninstall/reinstall). The second was the same issue you are having and I fixed that by changing cables. My OS is Windows XP.
  • Options
    I fixed this issue yesterday by enabling an enable password. Even though I had the username xxx privelege 15 password 0 xxx statement, it needed the enable password xxx statement as well. I didnt see that anywhere in the docs for setting the router up for SDM access, but that's what fixed my issue. Very strange...

• Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    SysAdmin...when are you sitting this exam by? I am hoping end of month myself. Got a ways to go still though.
  • Options
    I'm looking at December 6th, as long as I stay on the track i'm currently on. Doing well with the labs now, was having quite a few problems with SDM man. That's cool, I wish you luck. Looks like we're mirroring each other, we'll finish up just about the same time. Looking forward to moving on to the CCIE written.