Options

GNS3/VMWare

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
Well,

It's sunday morning, and i'm floating some crazy ideas about how I could possibly study for a CCVP using only GNS3 and VMWare.

I know it is possible to run routers with Voice IOS in GNS. Well, it is an assumption, so far I have only been running the standard ones.

I also know however, that it is possible to run Cisco CallManager in VMWare.

Therefore, would it be possible to combine the two, with some physical switches and some telephones, and run a full lab with just the above?

I am running a very hefty computer though, so I know that VMWare is not a problem. For example, last year I ran 8 VM'd Servers for my Exchange 2007 exam. Total overkill, but hey, I really learned.

Here are the specs: -

Intel Q6600 @ 3.2GHz
8GB PC8500 RAM
DFI X48 UT T2R
GeForce GTX 295
1 x 150GB Raptor X HDD
1 x 1.5TB Samsung F1
Dell 30" Display
Windows 7 Professional X64

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Well,

It's sunday morning, and i'm floating some crazy ideas about how I could possibly study for a CCVP using only GNS3 and VMWare.

I know it is possible to run routers with Voice IOS in GNS. Well, it is an assumption, so far I have only been running the standard ones.

I also know however, that it is possible to run Cisco CallManager in VMWare.

Therefore, would it be possible to combine the two, with some physical switches and some telephones, and run a full lab with just the above?

I am running a very hefty computer though, so I know that VMWare is not a problem. For example, last year I ran 8 VM'd Servers for my Exchange 2007 exam. Total overkill, but hey, I really learned.

Intel Q6600 @ 3.2GHz
    8GB PC8500 RAM
    DFI X48 UT T2R
    GeForce GTX 295
    1 x 150GB Raptor X HDD
    1 x 1.5TB Samsung F1
    Dell 30" Display

Might be worthwhile pinging Mike about this. I have heard that CallManager can be run in VMWare although it might not be wise. Generally for emulation dynamips seems to be run ontop of windows or linux without VMWare involvement. But Im not speaking from experience here as I never used the stuff. I think a combination of a PC CallManager with some Voice hardware and emulation may get you to where you need to be. Im not sure to what extent you need hardware for the PSTN cloud vs emulation with dynamips as I haven't looked into it.

But from what I recall from the PM Mike kindly sent me over a year ago (I have since had no time for Voice studies) fairly significant outlay in hardware is required.
  • Options
    Well I am fortunate enough to have a full CallManager and Unity installation where I work, so a lot of the real world stuff I can see configured for real.

In fact, in the next few weeks I am working on a new warehouse installation where I am installing: -

ISDN30
    Cisco Voice Router - thinking about a 2801
    MPLS and PSTN (ADSL) backup will be provided for us
    Layer 3 switched environment

All of the above I manage day to day anyway, but I am salivating the prospect of a new install.

Anyway, back to the original question, I know that you can bind dynamips to real network adapters (in fact I'm going to do this today and have some fun with BCMSN), but I know that VMWare can also be bound to adapters too.

Should be an interesting experiment.

Actually, I'm not even sure I'll do a CCVP at the moment.

I am stuck in two minds about where I want my career with Cisco to go.

Considering going CCNP -> CCIP -> CCIE R&S...

CCIP would cover the QoS, MPLS, BGP and so on ready for attempting a CCIE.

Either that, or I'd go CCNP, IP, VP, then CCIE R&S/Voice....
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well I am fortunate enough to have a full CallManager and Unity installation where I work, so a lot of the real world stuff I can see configured for real.

In fact, in the next few weeks I am working on a new warehouse installation where I am installing: -

ISDN30
    Cisco Voice Router - thinking about a 2801
    MPLS and PSTN (ADSL) backup will be provided for us
    Layer 3 switched environment

All of the above I manage day to day anyway, but I am salivating the prospect of a new install.

Anyway, back to the original question, I know that you can bind dynamips to real network adapters (in fact I'm going to do this today and have some fun with BCMSN), but I know that VMWare can also be bound to adapters too.

Should be an interesting experiment.

Actually, I'm not even sure I'll do a CCVP at the moment.

I am stuck in two minds about where I want my career with Cisco to go.

Considering going CCNP -> CCIP -> CCIE R&S...

CCIP would cover the QoS, MPLS, BGP and so on ready for attempting a CCIE.

Either that, or I'd go CCNP, IP, VP, then CCIE R&S/Voice....

Good luck with your installation work, any hands on you can get in the field is always worthwhile. A lot of people get less hands on these days which is bad if you find yourself one day wandering into strange massive datacentres with your new career as a contractor.

So far as the market is concerned I would be inclined to bash out NP/IP and VP. Those three certs combined will litmus test you for 90% of the exposure you are likely to need in the field. The certs are not the answer to everything, we know this, but they will ramp you up in 90% of the stuff your likely going to need to at least have a handle on. If you do go for IE someday this variety will be useful whichever track you go for. So far as the market is concerned right now, with the economy flat it's pretty greedy so employers and looking for a rounded skill set. Wireless, IPT, MPLS, Storage particularly asked for now. Banks are hiring but you really need years of fulltime banking experience. MOD are hiring but you need clearance. For main street service providers they are asking for everything, for bricks and mortar they are asking for more than usual. Rates and Salaries down everywhere. Lots of people looking for jobs, lots of people with many skills, lots of people passing themselves off as very skilled when not. Aggressive.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dynamips won't do everything you need..... but
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Check out my post in this thread to find out what you can't do.

Then check out How to build a voice lab with GNS3 and VMWare on blindhog.net to find out what you can do. It does cover adding a REAL Router to the Virtual Lab to deal with the limitations. Make sure you follow the links over there to get to the "beginners links" with the Videos that will talk you through individual pieces that you'll need to understand, build, and link together.

Also check out the CCVP Forum FAQ
    You probably would want at least 2 real routers so you could at least configure the MFT-T1s back-to-back.... A lot of learning goes into building your own Phone Company (PSTN Cloud) for your home lab -- so you'll have to make that up somehow if you have just the minimum hardware to do the minimum analog and digital interface configurations.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□

Intel Q6600 @ 3.2GHz
    8GB PC8500 RAM
    DFI X48 UT T2R
    GeForce GTX 295
    1 x 150GB Raptor X HDD
    1 x 1.5TB Samsung F1
    Dell 30" Display

You can run a cluster of UCM servers on the above machine with no problems. All of the Cisco voice server stuff can be run in VMWare assuming you have access to the software.

VMWare Workstation (at least) can be bound to phisical or virtual NIC interfaces so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with GNS3.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys.

I know what Turgon means about the market - I've been looking for new employment and the area where I live there is practically nothing.

I am grateful that my current job pays well and I am quite secure. Maybe I am wrong to be looking, I don't know.

Anyway, regarding my PC - The only thing I wish I could have more of is RAM, unfortunately I am capped to 8GB with the X48 chipset.

I might go and get myself a P45 motherboard and 16GB RAM but then if i'm going to start throwing money into motherboards I might as well go look at i5/i7 and then the potential for 24-32GB installations... (tasty)
  • Options
    Sorry, hadn't forgotten about this thread, that link above wouldn't work for me a week ago.

Have had a look at it, looks great!

Thanks!