Options

Server for learning

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
Hello techy's Im in need of your help. Currently Im looking to get a server, I just got out of high school and only have my A+ but I want to get a server to use at home and get some hands on experience, since ive never really set one up. So I wanted to know what you guys would recommend as a server for home not too expensive, I want to learn how to use it to use the Active directory and do policies and scripts and also maybe use it has a web hosting server and stuff like that. Your input would be appreciated, and if you know any sites where I can buy one for a reasonable price or build one. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you thought about going the virtual machine route? This would save you a lot of money on server hardware, and you'd still be able to accomplish all of the goals you listed.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Synthros wrote: »
    Have you thought about going the virtual machine route? This would save you a lot of money on server hardware, and you'd still be able to accomplish all of the goals you listed.

+1

What are the specs of the machine(s) you have now?
  • Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    If not a virtual machine, just about any [spare] relatively modern PC should be more than enough to play around with.
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i have been thinking about doing the same as the OP....i recently built a new computer in hopes of the same goal. It has an E5200 Intel Dual Core processor and i have 4gb of ram. I was looking to run a couple vm's and install Windows 7 for the base OS. Do you think this will be enough? What VM's should i run? Thanks all
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    i have been thinking about doing the same as the OP....i recently built a new computer in hopes of the same goal. It has an E5200 Intel Dual Core processor and i have 4gb of ram. I was looking to run a couple vm's and install Windows 7 for the base OS. Do you think this will be enough? What VM's should i run? Thanks all

More ram is always better, but you should be able to run a few vm's with that. As far as what you should run that depends on what you want to learn. Do you want to run Windows desktop, server, Linux, BSD, Solaris? There are a ton of choices out there. Just depends on what you are into.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    4 gigs should get you 6 or 7 servers running comfortably out of the deal, depending of course on what you are wanting to run. If it is just for studying for the MCSE or MCITP that would work fine. Exchange will be great as well. Some other items may be more resource intensive though, such as SBS 2008. If you can, cram as much ram into it as possible, as silentsoul mentioned.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Silentsoul wrote: »
    More ram is always better, but you should be able to run a few vm's with that. As far as what you should run that depends on what you want to learn. Do you want to run Windows desktop, server, Linux, BSD, Solaris? There are a ton of choices out there. Just depends on what you are into.

Thanks for the quick response. A lot of jobs are asking for experience with AD, Exchange and/or group policy....which i have none of. So i was thinking about trying to learn as much as i can. I wont to get into a jr. admin position soon. So i was thinking about loading my base os as win 7 and do 1 vm with 2003 server and maybe another vm with xp and one with vista....does this sound good? Thanks all
  • Options
    Use whatever you want for your host OS. I'd try to get 2-3 servers going and 1-2 xp clients. I wouldn't bother with Vista, especially if you're already running 7 as the host.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Use whatever you want for your host OS. I'd try to get 2-3 servers going and 1-2 xp clients. I wouldn't bother with Vista, especially if you're already running 7 as the host.

Thanks for the advice.... You mean 3 different vm where each of them is running server server 2k3 or are u saying one vm will have its own type of of server (ie file server, mail server, etc)? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on good reading material (book, website, etc) Thanks everyone
  • Options
    Both. It's going to be a waste of resources to have each server have a single role, but you're also going to want multiple servers for DNS zone transfers, replication, child domains, separate sites, etc.

Check out the 290 and 291 MS Press books or Server 2003 Inside-Out. Technet is the best web resource.
  • Options
    Both. It's going to be a waste of resources to have each server have a single role, but you're also going to want multiple servers for DNS zone transfers, replication, child domains, separate sites, etc.

Check out the 290 and 291 MS Press books or Server 2003 Inside-Out. Technet is the best web resource.

Thanks! icon_study.gif
  • Options
    OK so if i read right, you guys would suggest I get my own computer and run VMware with various clients, like 2 VM with server os and 2 or 3 client OS? if that would get me to learn what I want, id do it, and ill just buy more ram for my home PC. Thanks.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I would suggest 2 things.

1) If you're a gamer, I would say build your own rig. Lots of RAM. 64-bit OS, Win7. I would say skip Vista, the industry has. It'll be forgotten like ME imho.

2) Virtualize. Virtual PC is free. Microsoft also has lots of preconfigured .vhd's for you to download...so you can just download trial versions of W2k3/2k8 with Exchange or SQL on it to get familiar. With a few .vhd's, you can have your own little domain and network setup.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb738372.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualserver/default.aspx

The key though is to have a beefy system. Good proc, lots of ram. You can allocate RAM to each VHD you have running, so the more you have, the more you'll enjoy working with it. With those links, you can do what you want.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    brad- wrote: »
    I would suggest 2 things.

1) If you're a gamer, I would say build your own rig. Lots of RAM. 64-bit OS, Win7. I would say skip Vista, the industry has. It'll be forgotten like ME imho.

2) Virtualize. Virtual PC is free. Microsoft also has lots of preconfigured .vhd's for you to download...so you can just download trial versions of W2k3/2k8 with Exchange or SQL on it to get familiar. With a few .vhd's, you can have your own little domain and network setup.

Run IT on a Virtual Hard Disk

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

Microsoft Virtual Server TechCenter

The key though is to have a beefy system. Good proc, lots of ram. You can allocate RAM to each VHD you have running, so the more you have, the more you'll enjoy working with it. With those links, you can do what you want.

Also: http://www.dreamspark.com and Students get Windows 7 for $29.99 - Sweet Deal! Hurry - Get it Today
  • Options
    Well how much is a lot of ram for you guys, so would you suggest, just adding ram to my current system which is an Asus p5q mohterboard with a Q6600 cpu and 2gb ram, and 2 75 gb HDD and one 500 gb. or should i build a new one?
  • Options
    Well figure out how many VMs you want to run and how much RAM you're going to allocate to them. I typically do 256MB for Servers and 128MB for clients. You're going to have to bump that up if you want to add Exchange, SQL, etc. Figure in what you need for your host as well as the overhead of your virtualization and anything else you're going to have running.

If you have a 32-bit OS, toss in another couple of gigs (you'll only be able to get 3.25-3.75 total usable, depending on what other devices you have in your system). If you have 64-bit, see what your mobo supports.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That motherboard has a max of 8GB (as does mine). I've got mine maxed out, 8GB cost around $100 total. Now I need to get a decent quad core CPU...I got my money's worth out of my $70 E2160 (1.8Ghz OC'd to 2.9Ghz).
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    Well Arwes actually my MOBO supports up to 16gb... but is it really needed 16 gb? Also how do i know if my mobo supports ECC registered ram?
  • Options
    Depends on your needs. I use over 12GB when I fire up my full lab, but I have 20-30 going for a pentesting lab...

Just check the manual or look up the board on New Egg or something.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys...my last question...do u think i should be using 2k3 or maybe 2k8? I have played around with Server 2k3 a little bit but i wonder if it would be a waste to start with a OS/system that is old and people are going to be moving or already using another one. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    What are you goals? What are you trying to achieve?
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Darian929 wrote: »
    Well how much is a lot of ram for you guys, so would you suggest, just adding ram to my current system which is an Asus p5q mohterboard with a Q6600 cpu and 2gb ram, and 2 75 gb HDD and one 500 gb. or should i build a new one?

2GB is definitely not enough. If you get a 64bit OS and you know you're going to be using virtualization to learn with, I'd get 6GB. If I start up 3 servers and only allocate 512 to each, they're going to run like crap (at least mine do).

As far as whether you should use 2k3 or 2k8, I would go with the newer unless you have a prospective employer that specifies otherwise.
  • Options
    What are you goals? What are you trying to achieve?

Honestly, just trying to learn and gain marketable skills. I have been doing hardware support for a while in my local community and have a some formal IT work on my resume, but i find when i go for interviews, everyone says they like my resume and I did a good interview i just dont have the hands on experience they are looking for (usually AD, exchange or group policies) My thought pattern is since i cant get experience in a job yet, i can teach myself via a home setup. Im looking to go the route of a systems or network admin. So if there is anything else someone can suggest me learning im all ears and truly grateful. Thank you