Options

64 bit printer drivers from a 32 bit server

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a 32 bit Windows 2003 server that served as my print server. I need my 64 bit workstations to be able to grab there drivers from that server. Does anybody know how to do this?

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Under the properties of the printer you can specify additional print drivers for other architectures. You can add 64 bit drivers there.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Under the properties of the printer you can specify additional print drivers for other architectures. You can add 64 bit drivers there.

Ive tried that and it doesn't seem to work. I downloaded the drivers for Windows 2003 x64 and try to add it and I get the following error:

Selected Printer Driver not found.

The specified location does not contain the driver E-7100 PS US for the requested processor architecture.

The printer that im trying to setup is a Ricoh MP C6000. Im not even sure im using the correct driver.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Well, you need to use the right driver for the printer, or it wont work. :)
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Well, you need to use the right driver for the printer, or it wont work. :)

Very funny. Im on Ricoh's site and have tried every 64 bit driver on there site thats listed for my printer and i still get that same message.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You have to be sure the x86 and the x64 drivers match... if it's a PCL5e x86, then it needs to be PCL5e for the x64. If you're using one driver direct form the manufacturer, don't try to use a driver off the Windows Cd for the other architecture... etc.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, I have found in rare cases... maybe 1 out of 30 or 40 or so... the only way I can get it to install is to log on to a computer with the same processor architecture as the one I'm trying to install a driver for, navigate to the print server's Printers and Faxes share, and add it remotely.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    Also, I have found in rare cases... maybe 1 out of 30 or 40 or so... the only way I can get it to install is to log on to a computer with the same processor architecture as the one I'm trying to install a driver for, navigate to the print server's Printers and Faxes share, and add it remotely.

Your solution worked for my 2 HP printers but not for my Ricoh MP C6000.
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    my discription sucks, but:
    on the 64bit machine try and open the printer via the server, then it will ask you for the drivers.. Install the printer and it should upload the drivers to the server

edit: sorry that was already posted! should have read the whole thread