Options

Windows 7 install is 25 GIG!!!!

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Just installed RC1 to a snazzy 30Gig OCZ SSD and it has taken up almost the full drive

Googled the install size for Windows 7 and users report 12-15Gig

also what google found is the page file is 1.5 times the amount of RAM, so could the page file be the culprit as the system has 8 GIG

I could move the pagefile to a SATA / IDE but would that reduce performance??

Any help would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Firstly, why are you using the RC? The retail version is out now.

Go look at what directories and files are taking up the space.

The pagefile and hibernation file are kept in the root of the boot drive usually. You can alter it via the settings. It *can* grow up to the default of 1.5x your memory but it usually won't be that big.
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    not to thread jack but is it ridiculous to anyone else that the install size is 12-15 gigs as reported by the OP. I mean i know we are in the day of cheap hard drives and more space than we need, but COME ON!
  • Options
    Silentsoul wrote: »
    not to thread jack but is it ridiculous to anyone else that the install size is 12-15 gigs as reported by the OP. I mean i know we are in the day of cheap hard drives and more space than we need, but COME ON!
    Not particularly. 12GB is the size of the 64bit RC or ultimate install which installs absolutely everything including a bunch of 32 bit compatibility libraries. If you want less disk space consumed then don't use the ultimate edition. The regular 32bit edition should be smaller.

If you're just generally complaining about the disk usage which is measured in GB then what would be an acceptable size? Localization resources take up a significant amount of space. Ditto for the various drivers for hardware out there. Everything adds up.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□

A vista 64 install with all the goodies is over 20gb so it's not like there is a huge jump.

There are striped down versions that can be installed and you can un-install tons of features to bring it down around 10gb. If you want it fast and compatible you have to sacrifice something.
  • Options
    I guess I have been on Linux to long. Had just forgotten how much room it takes to run windows.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Oh well, now you have an excuse to get another SSD and bust out RAID-0 icon_cool.gif
    I guess I have been on Linux to long. Had just forgotten how much room it takes to run windows.

Tell me about. It's like, Windows 7 Live DVD? Try Windows 7 Live Dual-Layer BD!

No, nothing? Ok, I'll get off the stage now...
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Oh well, now you have an excuse to get another SSD and bust out RAID-0 icon_cool.gif

Tell me about. It's like, Windows 7 Live DVD? Try Windows 7 Live Dual-Layer BD!

No, nothing? Ok, I'll get off the stage now...

Yea not bashing Windows 7 at all, from what I have seen and used its a very promising OS. i will be moving to it at work since we have some users moving to it so i will be able to support them. Just use linux as my primary server OS, and home OS. I believe in using whatever is best for you, unix, mac, windows. For me its nix.
  • Options
    Yea not bashing Windows 7 at all, from what I have seen and used its a very promising OS. i will be moving to it at work since we have some users moving to it so i will be able to support them. Just use linux as my primary server OS, and home OS. I believe in using whatever is best for you, unix, mac, windows. For me its nix.
    Good attitude and how it should be! :) Although if you're an OS/2 user then well yeah... you're beyond hope... :D

I guess I'm too used to Windows/OSX where a typical install is massive. A full GUI desktop of Linux is fairly big still tho.

I use Windows as my desktop OS. Linux as my server OS. OSX is actually running on my Mac mini which I use for Plex as a DVD player...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used Win7 through the beta and RC stages, but I switched over Ubuntu 9.04 a week ago icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    vintage_69vintage_69 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you do not plan to use hibernation disable hiberfile.sys you'll probably get back 8 GB which will have been reserved to accomodate the contents of ram.

Run command prompt as admin and I believe the command is "powercfg.exe -h off"
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I used Win7 through the beta and RC stages, but I switched over Ubuntu 9.04 a week ago icon_cool.gif

I am sticking to LTS releases from now on.

Weird I had more typed out but I kept getting a 403 error.
    Short and sweet I guess.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hard drives are cheap as dirt. Hell I have a 500gig in my Playstation 3 and I'm using like 30 gigs of that space. I don't see why this is an issue.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Hard drives are cheap as dirt. Hell I have a 500gig in my Playstation 3 and I'm using like 30 gigs of that space. I don't see why this is an issue.

Can I send you some dirt in exchange for an equal volume of 2TB WD Caviar Blacks?
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Think the issue is coz he only has a 30GB disk, albeit SSD granted.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is a big reason I don't have SSD's in my rig yet. With my resources on drives, I was able to source 4 500GB Seagate 7200.12 series drives to configure a RAID 10 array for my boot drive at a cost less than a single 60B OCZ Vertex drive. Results are not quite as impressive as SSD's would be, but they are very fast and meet my needs just fine with plenty of space.

Other than the SSD issue though, I don't see what the big problem is. My co-worker was griping about this same issue yesterday. He has a 160GB boot drive and was concerned that after Windows 7 and all of his app's were installed that he only had ~100GB free (not to mention the two 250GB drives he has for storage and VM's).