Options

Anyone use ESXi to create a study lab for MCSE?

lespaulman74lespaulman74 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
By chance has anyone setup a test/study lab using ESXi to create a Win2K03 Enterprise server and several XP clients?

I know it can be done, was just wondering if anyone already had something setup? bst practices?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    By chance has anyone setup a test/study lab using ESXi to create a Win2K03 Enterprise server and several XP clients?

I know it can be done, was just wondering if anyone already had something setup? bst practices?

Thanks

Certainly possible, I have an ESXi host at the office that I setup with intention to use for study. I also had Hyper-V Server 2008 running on two hosts at home with intention to study. However, I usually resort to using VMware Workstation on my notebook since I always have it with me and do not have to mess around with remote access. I also like some of the features that I can setup on Workstation such as simulating slow links between sites.
  • Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    I have but I changed it to workstation because I just like workstation better for home use.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah, I did it for fun. Also used XenServer too. In the end though, I would just use Vmware workstation since I didn't want to give up my quadcore to a ESXi.

If you are just looking for free, look at Virtual Server/PC or Virtual Box.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    ESXi is free as well, has been for a while.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab