Options

Do I need to install Win08 to install Hyper V?

lespaulman74lespaulman74 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know if I need to install Windows 2008 Server before installing Hyper V?

Unfortunately my hardware does not support ESXi (my preference) so Im stuck with looking at another alternative.......looking for a "bare metal" hypervisor

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes to 2008 being required.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    well actually no.

Hyper-V Server 2008 is a bare metal hypervisor. Its install is basically the same as 2008 server though.

If you dont meet the requirements for ESX i doubt you would for hyper-v
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    well actually no.

Hyper-V Server 2008 is a bare metal hypervisor. Its install is basically the same as 2008 server though.

If you dont meet the requirements for ESX i doubt you would for hyper-v

+1

You will need a capable CPU either Intel VT or AMD VT
  • Options
    as well as hardware data execution prevention and a 64 bit processor.
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Hyper V's install IS Windows Server 2008. Its a server role, like DHCP or AD. It requires first a base install of either full or core installs of WS2k8 and then you install the Hyper V role. It has hardware requirements, very similar to ESX though, so if you dont have the qualified hardware for ESX, then you probably dont have the hardware for Hyper V. Again, Hyper V is just a server role, and is a part of Windows Server 2008.

There is apparently an alternative, which is Hyper V Server 2008 R2. Apparently it is a stand-alone version of Hyper V, that is also free. I have no experience with it, but it does exist.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was remembering the earlier, pre R2 release when I replied, HyperMe is correct
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    lets be clear here

hyperv server is a role in 08 and 08 r2, but there are also standalone versions that are baremetal and run only hyperv. The baremetal versions are free of charge.