Options

Power Usage Software

crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
Does anyone know of a software utility that will monitor power usage (voltage or wattage) in real time? Or does such a utility even exist?

*Edit: I know I can estimate the amount of power I would need from a power supply during full load, but specifically we are looking for something that can tell us what it uses at idle.

Thanks!
MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Buy a Kill-a-watt or whatever the equivalent is for your country. A decent UPS should be able to tell you the relevant details as well.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a software utility that will monitor power usage (voltage or wattage) in real time? Or does such a utility even exist?

*Edit: I know I can estimate the amount of power I would need from a power supply during full load, but specifically we are looking for something that can tell us what it uses at idle.

Thanks!

Sounds like you are looking for an SNMP compatible device.

Monitoring Power Consumption
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    tiersten wrote: »
    Buy a Kill-a-watt or whatever the equivalent is for your country. A decent UPS should be able to tell you the relevant details as well.

Ya looks like we might have to go with a Kill-A-Watt, even though it will be a one use wonder. The CIO wants to know what our current computer workstation power usage is at idle to compare it to the mac-mini which only uses 14w at idle.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Good idea...then you can spend all that energy trying to fix the mac mini.