Options

Windows 7 upgrade question?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys
I looked all over internet and have some questions.

1. I have build 7100 of windows 7 can I do an upgrade to windows 7 pro straight from the windows 7100 buid I have?

2. If not, then I do have windows 32/64 bit both with license keys
legit keys (surprised ahhah) but yeah I have legit keys for both vista
ultimates 32/64. And I want to put the vista 64 on my laptop
and vista 32 u on my desktop.

question. i want the windows 7 pro 32/64 to go on each respectively
upgrades that is which are cheaper but do I have to get the
windows 7 ultiamte for both since they are ultiamtes to begin with
to do the upgrade to windows 7 ??they must both be ultiamtes in windows 7? and are there 64 and 32 differentiated on the boxes?

Thanks
icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Google much?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just kidding... you can't upgrade directly from pre-release versions of 7...

(seriously, google... the answer to all of your questions were like the first result in google.)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    kind of thought that but was wishing otherwise.

and yeah
    so I was right about ultimate to ultimate only?
    219 for upgrade from ultimate vista 32 and 64 to windows 7 ultimate
    right....sometimes I just need a 2nd opinon that is all. I have seen just a mix of and match of sorts that is alland and wanted your guys take on it.
    thanks
  • Options
    sweet thanks ;)))
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You're not supposed to upgrade from the RC or beta to the retail version. Microsoft have not done full testing on that particular upgrade path and it is possible you'll end up in a weird unsupported configuration due to that.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tiersten wrote: »
    You're not supposed to upgrade from the RC or beta to the retail version. Microsoft have not done full testing on that particular upgrade path and it is possible you'll end up in a weird unsupported configuration due to that.

It's probably not ethical either.
  • Options
    It's probably not ethical either.
    Why not? You can't transfer the free RC/beta license over to the retail version. They just don't want you doing that because it is an unsupported configuration.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tiersten wrote: »
    Why not? You can't transfer the free RC/beta license over to the retail version. They just don't want you doing that because it is an unsupported configuration.

I have a funny feeling the EULA for the upgrade states that it has to be a certain version for the upgrade. I will have to look at it to be sure though.
  • Options
    I have a funny feeling the EULA for the upgrade states that it has to be a certain version for the upgrade. I will have to look at it to be sure though.
    If you've got an upgrade only copy of Windows then yes, that is against the EULA. itdaddy appears to have/want upgrade copies so you're correct. If you've got a full install copy of Windows then its fine but unsupported however.
  • Options
    tiersten

yeah, you see I have 2 copies of licensed vista 32 and 64 flavors
    hate both and well going to have to buy 2 upgrades to both. will be getting pro. I have the 7100 build of windows 7 that expires in march
    but was wondering if I can upgrade that...I have pro now and wont do it.
    I know of a hack that will/might override it but 300.00 wont set me back too much now that my son has graduated high school and that is about how much he ate in $$$ a month. hahhah I really like w7 compare to vista it is the same as when we have windows ME (remember that piece of crap OS?) and then we got 2000 pro and windows xp wow! same diff.

windows 7 is fast and nice but I have encountered bugs but not too bad. like sharing printers after you turn off windows 7 firewall. you have to turn it back on share your printers then you can turn it back off and they can be shared. weird but it works..

yeah I have found some hacks to the upgrades but this year I feel sort of honest (somebody slap me will you ! ) hahaaha hahah ;)
    icon_cheers.gif....but the reason i am honest is I have the money to buy real keys..
    but in the past yeah when money was tight, people can do some really wacky things; if they just made them 49 dollars cheaper like around 100 each for upgrade that is fair but life is about pushing your profit margins bigger than last year! yikes!
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    itdaddy wrote: »
    tiersten

yeah, you see I have 2 copies of licensed vista 32 and 64 flavors
    hate both and well going to have to buy 2 upgrades to both. will be getting pro. I have the 7100 build of windows 7 that expires in march
    but was wondering if I can upgrade that...I have pro now and wont do it.
    I know of a hack that will/might override it but 300.00 wont set me back too much now that my son has graduated high school and that is about how much he ate in $$$ a month. hahhah I really like w7 compare to vista it is the same as when we have windows ME (remember that piece of crap OS?) and then we got 2000 pro and windows xp wow! same diff.

windows 7 is fast and nice but I have encountered bugs but not too bad. like sharing printers after you turn off windows 7 firewall. you have to turn it back on share your printers then you can turn it back off and they can be shared. weird but it works..

yeah I have found some hacks to the upgrades but this year I feel sort of honest (somebody slap me will you ! ) hahaaha hahah ;)
    icon_cheers.gif....but the reason i am honest is I have the money to buy real keys..
    but in the past yeah when money was tight, people can do some really wacky things; if they just made them 49 dollars cheaper like around 100 each for upgrade that is fair but life is about pushing your profit margins bigger than last year! yikes!

*cough* Microsoft Action Pack *cough*
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    heropsycho,
    yeah you are right I could or should do the action pack that way
    i can get a lot of software..I will look into that true dat! better use of
    my money true!

- thanks...cough! haha ;)