What Next?

MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Well, I just recently passed the A+ exam (2009 objectives) and am debating on what my next cert should be.

Right now, I know that the only jobs I have experience with are Desktop/help desk support roles so that will be positions that I'll be targeting right now.

What I would like to get into is a server/system administration type of role, but I know that will likely be a year or so down the pipeline due to my lack of experience in that type of role and being with a company where I can grow into that type of position. Now, should I focus short term on getting the MCITP in Server Administration? (the 640/642/646 tests) Or would I be better served to go for the Microsoft desktop support MCITP's in the short term? (the 620/680/etc)

Or should I look at the Network +? I don't want to rule out network admin as I may enjoy that as well. I do have a bachelors in CIS, so I have that too. I'm 3 years into my career and know that I want to eventually move out of the help desk type of roles and move into a different type of role. I am just not sure what will help me now, and what I'd be better off putting on the back burner for the time being until I'm getting closer to moving forward.

I appreciate any advice that you all may have here and thanks!

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    It may be helpful to get good with the client stuff before moving to server.

I was exceptionally good at windows client support when i started looking at server stuff, and knowing what i did about the clients helped me understand what the servers were....serving. :)
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1 Comptia Network +
    2 MS 70-620 or 70-680
    3 Comptia Security +
    4 MS 70-640
    5 CCENT
    6 MS 70-642
    7 Linux +
    8 MS 70-646

Best path for you right now, as I see it. Keep an eye open for free voucher and other deals posted online. Get experience with are Desktop/help desk support roles and move up as you can.
    Free Reading : History Books
  • NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    Well, I just recently passed the A+ exam (2009 objectives) and am debating on what my next cert should be.

Right now, I know that the only jobs I have experience with are Desktop/help desk support roles so that will be positions that I'll be targeting right now.

What I would like to get into is a server/system administration type of role, but I know that will likely be a year or so down the pipeline due to my lack of experience in that type of role and being with a company where I can grow into that type of position. Now, should I focus short term on getting the MCITP in Server Administration? (the 640/642/646 tests) Or would I be better served to go for the Microsoft desktop support MCITP's in the short term? (the 620/680/etc)

Or should I look at the Network +? I don't want to rule out network admin as I may enjoy that as well. I do have a bachelors in CIS, so I have that too. I'm 3 years into my career and know that I want to eventually move out of the help desk type of roles and move into a different type of role. I am just not sure what will help me now, and what I'd be better off putting on the back burner for the time being until I'm getting closer to moving forward.

I appreciate any advice that you all may have here and thanks!

Not sure if I can help but here has been my plan. Back in July I decided I wanted to get my A+, Network+, Security+ and Server+ before the end of the year. I got my A+ in August. My Network+ in September. My Security+ I recently failed the first time last Tuesday but jumped right back on the horse and passed it this Tuesday (and yes it hurt my bank account).

I'm 3/4 of the way there. After I get those four I want to use my A+ & Network+ as the elective for my MCSA. So I will have to take 3 exams for my MCSA. I want one of those to be the Vista exam so I will be MCP and MCTS:Vista. After I get my MCSA One more security exam plus my Security+ gets me the MCSA: Security specialization. Then I can worry about turning the MCSA into MCITP I guess.

There are also a few other CompTIA certs I want just because I want them (Convergence+) not because I expect to make more money having them.

I think the trick is having small goals to reach before you jump into something heavy like the MCSE or CCIE. The small victories build up your confidence.
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1 Comptia Network +
    2 MS 70-620 or 70-680
    3 Comptia Security +
    4 MS 70-640
    5 CCENT
    6 MS 70-642
    7 Linux +
    8 MS 70-646

Best path for you right now, as I see it. Keep an eye open for free voucher and other deals posted online. Get experience with are Desktop/help desk support roles and move up as you can.

I would like to second this path but suggest you take the 680 and forget the 620.

I would also suggest that you consider adding the Server+ or subbing it for the Sec+. Comtia exams are not cheap.

All-in-all, this puts you on astrong path to be a good, well rounded, Jr. Admin.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    1 Comptia Network +
    2 MS 70-620 or 70-680
    3 Comptia Security +
    4 MS 70-640
    5 CCENT
    6 MS 70-642
    7 Linux +
    8 MS 70-646

Thanks for the path here. I have had 3 years of experience as help desk and desk top support, so I am at least not wet behind the ears. I had put off certs because I thought they were not needed, but I found in my job search that I was being excluded from interviews or selections for jobs by not having the cert.

I'd pass on the Vista cert in favor of the Windows 7 cert as most companies will be skipping Vista and going to 7 when it comes to updating. Also I have been playing with Windows 7 Ultimate the past month and enjoy it so far.