Options

XP or 7?

ronzillaronzilla Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been studying for about a week now for the 70-270 exam. I am on the chapter for deploys. Now I have been a desktop/network support tech for almost three years now, and I have never used RIS, MS's VPN configuration, RAS, MS remote software,etc... I also do not know anyone who has. We use Ghost, cisco vpn, dameware, and lots of other utilities and I think most companies use others as well. So, I find myself a little discouraged studying for something I will never use. My goal is the MCSE and I want to start with an easy exam since I am very familiar with AD, SMS and XP. I figured XP would be the easiest test but I am finding a lot of the questions and scenarios don't exactly exist on the job, or at least not anymore. Although a client OS exam is needed, I also see an option for the windows 7 exam, but I don't see a lot of study aides for it. So I am hoping to get some insight from some people who have some experience with certs, or someone who has taken both. I took a practice test on transcender and scored a 71% should i continue with XP? Or just go for win7?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I am on the fence about the MCSE now days. It's fading away along with XP/2003. 2008 is a winner, and so is Windows 7. Additionally if the economy keeps moving as it is, there should be a surge in IT spending as ignored infrastructures start getting much needed updates.

It can't hurt of course...

The easiest exams for the MCSE are 70-620 and Security+. Though, given your background you might want to knock out the MCDST first. Just to get a feel for Microsoft certifications as give your resume a quick, cheap jump start.

I guess i am saying XP, MCDST >> MCSA >> MCSE then go and snag the MCITP in 7.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel - thanks. The only thing is that I really do not want to stay in deskside support. I really want to get into a more server sided role. I have considered CCNA but I really like learning the microsoft soft stuff more and find it a lot easier for me.

I am not to sure on the MCDST route for 3 reasons:

1) I have no interest in desktop support anymore
    2) I don't see it being a requirement or even see it recognized for many jobs.
    3) 2 exams for one elective to count towards MCSA/MCSE.

Time is also of the essence, I may possible be getting laid off at the end of the year. I know its coming, just not sure when. So I would like to get something going ASAP.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Why not take both XP and Windows 7? You can use XP as the client requirement for MCSE and then use Windows 7 as both the elective for the MCSE and the client for the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator. Here is what the path would look like:

70-270 - XP Client
    70-290 - MCSE Core
    70-291 - MCSE Core
    70-293 - MCSE Core
    70-294 - MCSE Core
    70-297 or 298- Design Exam
    70-680 - Win 7 Elective/MCITP Client
    70-649 - MCITP Upgrade Exam
    70-647 - MCITP Enterprise Administrator

9 Exams - $1125
    If you take Win 7 as your MCSE client exam and Security+ as your MCSE elective, add another $125 because CompTia exams cost about $250. You could take the Win 7 exam after you take XP to give you both an MCP and an MCTS for your resume if that will help you. The 70-680 MS Press Training Kit is out now, as is the Resource Kit, and I am sure there are practice exams available. Check out my sticky post at the top of the forum - many of us used that when we were studying for the beta exam when there was no other material.

We all know Win 7 and Server 2008 are the future, but if I were starting out on the cert path I would still get an MCSE. It' not just the name recognition for the HR folks, although that can be important, but knowing more than one OS will help you. It will be several years before 2003 is completely replaced so knowing how to manage 2003 servers will still have career value for you.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    CCNA isn't going to do much good for you really on the server side that I know of. If you want to get into the server side I would shoot for Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP), as far as I have heard it is pretty much the new game that will eventually replace the MCSE and MCSA
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Why not take both XP and Windows 7? You can use XP as the client requirement for MCSE and then use Windows 7 as both the elective for the MCSE and the client for the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator. Here is what the path would look like:

70-270 - XP Client
    70-290 - MCSE Core
    70-291 - MCSE Core
    70-293 - MCSE Core
    70-294 - MCSE Core
    70-297 or 298- Design Exam
    70-680 - Win 7 Elective/MCITP Client
    70-649 - MCITP Upgrade Exam
    70-647 - MCITP Enterprise Administrator

9 Exams - $1125
    If you take Win 7 as your MCSE client exam and Security+ as your MCSE elective, add another $125 because CompTia exams cost about $250. You could take the Win 7 exam after you take XP to give you both an MCP and an MCTS for your resume if that will help you. The 70-680 MS Press Training Kit is out now, as is the Resource Kit, and I am sure there are practice exams available. Check out my sticky post at the top of the forum - many of us used that when we were studying for the beta exam when there was no other material.

We all know Win 7 and Server 2008 are the future, but if I were starting out on the cert path I would still get an MCSE. It' not just the name recognition for the HR folks, although that can be important, but knowing more than one OS will help you. It will be several years before 2003 is completely replaced so knowing how to manage 2003 servers will still have career value for you.

LOL, you talk about getting an MCSE like it's as easy as picking up a bag of crisps. That's a solid 6 - 8 months of work, study and exams. I'm finishing my MCSA, mainly because of how much time, money and effort I already put into it, and because it's still very highly respected in most places.
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    zen master wrote: »
    That's a solid 6 - 8 months of work, study and exams.

Hmm. There's no way I could get through MCSE in that timescale. I guess it all depends on how much you know when you start out, and how much time you can devote to studying. I would say 12-18 months is much more like it - especially to make sure that you have a good handle on all the topics.

Just my thoughts :)
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    if the MCSX is so popular, maybe I should pop off the 2 tests it would take for me to get the MCSA 2003 (290 and 291)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    if the MCSX is so popular, maybe I should pop off the 2 tests it would take for me to get the MCSA 2003 (290 and 291)

I would agree with that... Knowing your background and current certs I have wondered a few times why you have not already done so.
  • Options
    Its something to consider, and perhaps I'll do that. Crap time to find another 250$, thanks robert! ;)
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Its something to consider, and perhaps I'll do that. Crap time to find another 250$, thanks robert! ;)
    If it's any help, 290 and 291 are 15% off until the end of the year:
    Microsoft Career Offer: Get up to 25% off Select Microsoft Certification Exams
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    647, 290 and 291 by the end of the year? Sheesh. lol
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    647, 290 and 291 by the end of the year? Sheesh. lol

hmmm. I'm in a similar boat - 293, 294 and 298 by the end of year icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    zen master wrote: »
    LOL, you talk about getting an MCSE like it's as easy as picking up a bag of crisps. That's a solid 6 - 8 months of work, study and exams. I'm finishing my MCSA, mainly because of how much time, money and effort I already put into it, and because it's still very highly respected in most places.

I just quoted a price for the exams - the time and materials are something else entirely! It's not going to be easy, but that's good. If what we did were easy, everyone would do it and we wouldn't be compensated as well.

Windows 7 can be used as an elective exam for the MCSA and MCSE, as well as the client exam for the MCITP:EA. If you chose to use Win7 as the client for the MCSE, what would you use for an elective?
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just because 7 is out now you shouldn't overlook the Vista 70-620 exam, it cover client requirement for both MCSE and MCITP paths...
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Claymoore wrote: »
    If we were easy, everyone would do it and we wouldn't be compensated as well.

That's how I read that the first time. Needless to say, I've since upped my caffeine intake considerably. icon_eek.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    ronzilla wrote: »
    I have been studying for about a week now for the 70-270 exam. I am on the chapter for deploys. Now I have been a desktop/network support tech for almost three years now, and I have never used RIS, MS's VPN configuration, RAS, MS remote software,etc... I also do not know anyone who has. We use Ghost, cisco vpn, dameware, and lots of other utilities and I think most companies use others as well. So, I find myself a little discouraged studying for something I will never use.

Welcome to M$ testing. I dont think most people use everything they test on. There's probably 20-40% of material that I know I'll never need to know, that you just have to wade through and do it.
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    That's how I read that the first time. Needless to say, I've since upped my caffeine intake considerably. icon_eek.gif

Get-Coffee | Insert-in -Orifice 'HeroPsychos mouth'
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    MCSX are still very highly respected in the HR realm. Most hiring managers dont know what the MCITP track is yet. Some even refer to it as the the MCSE 2008 lol. I would say get the MCSE 2003 as it will TEACH you quite a bit about Windows Server systems. Then build on that knowledge by taking the exams towards the MCITP EA, which is pretty much focused on the differences between Server 2003 and Server 2008. You will not learn quite as much as with the Server 2003 track of the MCSA/MCSE. And it is still highly respected. And most enterprises arent even considering the switch yet. Some still have Windows 2000 Server.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    MCSX are still very highly respected in the HR realm. Most hiring managers dont know what the MCITP track is yet. Some even refer to it as the the MCSE 2008 lol.

You're right about that. The preliminary interviews are whats killing me cause HR doesn't know a thing about IT, they just screen for the certs it seems. I am asked about certs occasionally because my resume has so many things. I learned most of it on the job with no training and it seems to me HR isn't buying it.