Options

Connect 2 swich with Access Port

new2netnew2net Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering what would happen if you connected 2 switches and manually set the each port between them to be an Access Port (no port security and both switches have all ports in VLAN1). Thinking it through, it seems that information will still be passed as each switch will learn about MAC addresses through broadcasts (even though we have manually set an Access Port to something that should be a Trunk). It seems to me that the only problem will occur if different VLANS were introduced on both switches. ... can anyone tell me if I have thought it through wrong (no lab to test on)?

Comments

• Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Access:
    • This is the access mode in Cisco IOS Software that specifies that the port never become a trunk, even if the neighbor tries. This mode puts the LAN port into permanent nontrunking mode and negotiates to convert the link into a nontrunking link.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    new2netnew2net Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    miller811 wrote: »
    Access:
    • This is the access mode in Cisco IOS Software that specifies that the port never become a trunk, even if the neighbor tries. This mode puts the LAN port into permanent nontrunking mode and negotiates to convert the link into a nontrunking link.

...but frames will still be passed between the 2 switches even though both connecting ports have been set to Access Mode, right?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You are correct. Access doesn't mean that its for a host, it just means that it will only pass traffic for that Vlan.

I would just use a trunk and prune all the other Vlans off personally though. That way if you ever do need more than one Vlan to ride across you can do it with no down time by changing the allowed list.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.