Options

errors in BSCI official exam cert guide?

trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
Im reading this book BSCI official exam cert guide fourth edition and it has some errors imo

for example:

chapter 3 (EIGRP) "do i know this already?" quiz

1. Which of the following describes how a reply to an EIGRP query is sent?

a. Multicast
b. Best effort unicast
c. A reliable unicast
d. A reliable multicast

it says that correct answer is B, but from other sources i have learned that every packet except hello and ack are acknowledged so i would say C should be correct answer?

or

8. The neighbor table contains which of the following information?

a. The administrative distance
b. The metric of neighbors
c. The feasible distance between neighbors
d. The status of the links between neighbors

the correct answer is marked as D though im pretty sure EIGRP is not link state protocol and thus does not hold info on status of links.

Am i misunderstanding something or should i really doublecheck every word a book says? :)

Comments

• Options
    tigerplugtigerplug Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As far as I can see there are typos all through this book. Just read the introduction and couple of pages before that and you'll see exactly what I mean!
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have no time for mistakes like this in books if this is the case. This book and any other learning book has only one purpose.... to teach. What is the point in teaching the wrong stuff? Awful quality workmanship! icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    We had this debate a little while back on questions 1.

When a router receives a Querey it will reply with an ACK first which is sent as a best effort unicast. Therefore the reply to a Query is sent as a best effort unicast. If it were to ask how is an EIGRP Reply packet sent then it would be a reliable unicast.

Question 8 you just have to think whats in the neighbor table. There is no AD, no FD and no metrics in the neighbor table. The neighbor would not be in the neighbor table if the link was down, so the only possible answer would be D.

I don't think either of these questions are an error. Not the best worded questions, but the answers are the correct.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ahh ok, thanks for clearing that up :)
  • Options
    mrmcmint wrote: »
    I have no time for mistakes like this in books if this is the case. This book and any other learning book has only one purpose.... to teach. What is the point in teaching the wrong stuff? Awful quality workmanship! icon_sad.gif

Well how about you write us a technical book that covers that much material and is mistake free icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just look at the mistakes as little mini-challenges. If you're forced to go and verify in the information, you're going to learn much better.

Also, most of these resources do have errata sheets that you should keep handy while going through the books.
  • Options
    We had this debate a little while back on questions 1.

When a router receives a Querey it will reply with an ACK first which is sent as a best effort unicast. Therefore the reply to a Query is sent as a best effort unicast. If it were to ask how is an EIGRP Reply packet sent then it would be a reliable unicast.

you know, i thought about it some more, and i again tend to think its more on the mistake side of things :) I see your point, but the question says "Which of the following describes how a reply to an EIGRP query is sent?" the question doesnt ask "how an ack to a query is sent" it specifically asks "how a reply to a query is sent" and reply to a query is sent as reliable unicast.

because imo if you use correct terminology then you cant say that ack is a reply, ack is an ack and reply is a reply. reply is "reserverd" term so to speak in EIGRP-s RTP.

the terms are:

hello
    update
    ack
    query

its not correct to use the term reply and actually refer to an ack.

If this is not a mistake then it is VERY misleading question to say the least :)
  • Options
    That is where the debate comes in. Is the word reply referring to the packet type or just to what the router replies to the query with?

What does a router reply with when it receives a query is what I would ask myself for this question. And the answer to that is an ACK which is sent unreliable. I doubt you will see a question this convoluted on the actual exam though.