Free CD writer software?

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
Guys,

I need to burn a Windows eval to CD so I can do an install. I have a hp cd writer but no software to do the writing. Can anyone recommend a free download to get this thing working?

Thanks

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    Guys,

I need to burn a Windows eval to CD so I can do an install. I have a hp cd writer but no software to do the writing. Can anyone recommend a free download to get this thing working?

Thanks

Try this one Turgon: The Official ImgBurn Website
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks lads I will have a little look at these when I have finished the latest lab.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Try this one Turgon: The Official ImgBurn Website

+1... I use imgburn and magiciso way too much!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use ImgBurn as well.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • 94jedi94jedi Member Posts: 177
    another vote for ImgBurn here.
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Another vote for isorecorder over here.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I use CDBurnerXP. Can do more than just image burning, like the flexibility of it.
    Good luck to all!
    I managed to burn a Windows Server eval right enough with imgburn. No dice since. I have tried cdwriter now. With either app the response is the media isn't writable. Wierd. Wondering if I need a driver update for the hardware?
    I have tried to find a driver for a hp cdwriter cd16f with no luck. Im now downloading Roxio to see if this burner makes in a difference. The unit is old now, while a flagship PC back in the day, we are down to motherboard, case, CD and CD writer now and processor. Harddrive, memory, keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers added or replaced over time. HP..2000 dollars new at yesterdays prices. It looked nice but when you add up what I spent on those other things since 2002...Gotta love it, had intermittent problems over the years and several reinstalls.
    I have tried to find a driver for a hp cdwriter cd16f with no luck. Im now downloading Roxio to see if this burner makes in a difference. The unit is old now, while a flagship PC back in the day, we are down to motherboard, case, CD and CD writer now and processor. Harddrive, memory, keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers added or replaced over time. HP..2000 dollars new at yesterdays prices. It looked nice but when you add up what I spent on those other things since 2002...Gotta love it, had intermittent problems over the years and several reinstalls.

I just did a Google search on that Turgon. I was surprised by how common complaints are on that HP drive.
    Yes its a drag. I cant say it was ever really reliable *shrug*.

Ok I downloaded Roxio and tried to install and it says it needs a licence key..hehehe.

Better think of something else! HP drivers for the CD writer and what not I guess if I can find them *grumble*
    Better think of something else!

Buy new PC? :D
    Buy new PC? :D

hehehe..I think I will just take the iso on a 4G flash and have someone burn the CD for me :)
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Sounds like something wrong with the actual drive itself or something like the ASPI layer if its an older version of Windows.

Good job that you didn't actually install Roxio though. That software is crap and tends to install parts everywhere.
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't seen anyone recommend Active ISO Burner: Active@ ISO Burner. Data CD DVD burning software. Write ISO image to CD,DVD,CD-RW,CDR,DVD-RW.

This is what I've been using for the past couple years and it's been working great. Just burned a Server '08 ISO to DVD a few weeks ago with it.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    in addition to some of those others posted: cdrtfe - open source CD/DVD burning program
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!