Options

So Now That I'm Certified...

TXOgreTXOgre Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
With 10+ years of technical experience, and my new certs, I figure I'm pretty employable now. I finished up my MCSE in mid September, after about 5 months of hard core studying and testing, and hit the job market again. It's been a lot more promising this time around.

I've been getting more interviews since certifying, and interviews for better jobs. Employers sure are being picky lately though. I've got the overqualified declination a few times already (I'm working on that overselling thing), and have even been told that I live too far away (45 minute commute, average in this town), they wanted someone who could be in within 15 minutes.

But with the increase in interview activity, I'm sure to land a job soon. It's been almost 2 months back on the market, but I remain optimistic. I'll be hearing back from 2 prospects this week, and have another 2 interviews in the scheduling phase. Some lucky company is going to snatch me up soon, I'm sure of it.

Anyone else cert up in this declining economy? What's your story?
A+ Net+ Sec+ MCSE

Comments

• Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep, I've had the same luck. I wasn't really moving anywhere in my last position (application support for a bank), so I decided to start getting certified so people would notice me. I spent the following year earning A+, Network+, and MCSA. As soon as I earned the MCSA I started applying everywhere. Two months and several interviews later I landed my current job as a
    sys admin.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Ive gotten about 6 or 7 certs in the last 4ish months and ive only paused because im refinancing my house so moneys on lockdown.

There really isnt much in the way of windows sys admin jobs around here lately, so Its been hard going. I do have an interview monday for an IT consultant position, though.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's a good point. I'm pretty sure each market is different. My luck may not be the norm.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Well I also already have a very good and stable job, I just feel grossly underpaid for what I am doing so I am tossing out resumes to see if i can get some bites.

If i were unemployed I would be driving door to door asking to speak to the CIO/CTO and try to find a job, haha.
  • Options
    dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    TXOgre wrote: »
    But with the increase in interview activity, I'm sure to land a job soon. It's been almost 2 months back on the market, but I remain optimistic. I'll be hearing back from 2 prospects this week, and have another 2 interviews in the scheduling phase. Some lucky company is going to snatch me up soon, I'm sure of it.

Yes, that's the spirit. Just hang in there and keep sending out your resume. I'm sure that you'll eventually get a job soon.

Getting lots of calls is great to practice your interview skills. Just think of these "failed" interviews as stepping stones to having your dream job.

Good luck.
    Focused and Steady.
  • Options
    I just thought I'd update here. I got an offer today, decent money (about 5k less than my last job, but times are tough), and a good fit for me. I start on the 1st.

Keep your heads up out there, your time will come!
    A+ Net+ Sec+ MCSE
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Congrats on the new position!
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Congratulations !! Hard work paid off :)

It's good to know that Certs are still well recognized by employers and actually help getting jobs, specially when backed up with the right experience and qualifications icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With 10+ years of technical experience, and my new certs, I figure I'm pretty employable now. I finished up my MCSE in mid September, after about 5 months of hard core studying and testing, and hit the job market again. It's been a lot more promising this time around.

I've been getting more interviews since certifying, and interviews for better jobs. Employers sure are being picky lately though. I've got the overqualified declination a few times already (I'm working on that overselling thing), and have even been told that I live too far away (45 minute commute, average in this town), they wanted someone who could be in within 15 minutes.

Anyone else cert up in this declining economy? What's your story?

Congratz!
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif

Always good to hear a success story in today's economy.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    With 10+ years of technical experience,

Is that paid experience? I used to put personal experience years on my resume and when employers asked about it they kinda shunned at those years. Ive been working on pc's and small networks since 1998 but I only have about 6 years of paid experience. Thats the stuff that really counts.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Is that paid experience? I used to put personal experience years on my resume and when employers asked about it they kinda shunned at those years. Ive been working on pc's and small networks since 1998 but I only have about 6 years of paid experience. Thats the stuff that really counts.

Yes, it is professional experience.

I was contacted about this job through LinkedIn. If you don't have a profile there, it's not a bad idea to get one up there. I have a lot of recommendations on my profile, and that helped a lot.
    A+ Net+ Sec+ MCSE
  • Options
    benchodbenchod Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, it is professional experience.

I was contacted about this job through LinkedIn. If you don't have a profile there, it's not a bad idea to get one up there. I have a lot of recommendations on my profile, and that helped a lot.

Is it worth pursuing MCSE 2003 or go straight for MCITP 2008 track ?

Currently working as tech support, kind of at a stall in career without a boost.

It seems like many of you have benefited from certifications.

I will be preparing to take Network + and Security + , is A+ still valuable ?

Thanks
    Ben