Options

Mcitp:sa

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Greetings ALL:

I am curious to know how difficult this cert is to get. I am thinking about doing this next year (for school) and I want to know if it is doable in about 6 months or less. I will work with Server 2008 everyday to get my knowledge up to par and I will set up a virtual lab.

Also what books are the best choice? I was thinking of these books.

Just to let you know, I am not an aspiring M$ admin, I want to get this done for school, however I do want to do more than get the cert, so if there are other books I should get (like one on powershell) let me know.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I did 620, 680, 640 and 642 in a really short amount of time (like 7 weeks or something)

So its easily possible. I havnt taken 646 but i cant imagine its too terribly difficult.

The MS Press books are good sources.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I did 620, 680, 640 and 642 in a really short amount of time (like 7 weeks or something)

So its easily possible. I havnt taken 646 but i cant imagine its too terribly difficult.

The MS Press books are good sources.

But you are an MS admin right? icon_wink.gif I am not. I am just a Noc guy icon_redface.gif.

But seriously like on a scale of 1-10 how difficult would you say the test are?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IMHO, everyone's going to rate the tests differently. Someone with a few years of experience might peg the difficulty at 5 while some greenhorns might give it a 8 or perhaps even a 9.

In the same breath, I have found the MCITP tests easier than the MCSE/A ones. The questions are to the point and the answers arent cryptic either. For someone whose passed the 642 and almost done with the 640, I'll give it a 5 or maybe a 6.

On a scale of increasing difficulty, 620 > 680 > 640 > 642.

MS Press have been good so far.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Took me from March this year to September with the longest study being for the 640 exam. 3 exams and that's with 3 kids and a wife, both working FT...

I was also a NOC guy for 5 years. You can learn a lot from in there.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    So 6 months may not be underestimating it?

I was thinking about trying to wrap this up next year before I go to WGU
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knwminus wrote: »
    So 6 months may not be underestimating it?

I was thinking about trying to wrap this up next year before I go to WGU

6 months will be a good amount of time. The trick is going to be getting as much hands on as you can.
  • Options
    6 months will be a good amount of time. The trick is going to be getting as much hands on as you can.

I can do that without a problem. I can get many copies of server, I can set up exchange, etc.

My whole thing is that I wanted to specialize in Linux and Cisco but it seems I won't be able to do that just yet...But that is ok.
  • Options
    I talked with a WGU rep and I know I will do this next year. Now I just need to find out if I am going to do the MCSA as well.