New here

KrzeKrze Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all. New guy here, I've been browsing these forums for maybe two weeks here and there. I really want to join the I.T. scene and I'm making some moves to learn more. I will be starting school in Dec. and wanted to try to knock out some Certifications during school, at least the easier ones.

Anyway, I wanted to start with the A+ Cert and was wondering which book I should get to help study? I read here that the Mike Meyer's All in One sixth edition is the way to go, but I'm still not clear if it would still be good choice with the new 701/702 test that are out. And with school starting soon, not sure if Ill be able to cram it in to be able to make the 601/602 deadline. Or will I be fine studying for the 701/702 with Mike Meyer's sixth edition?

Thanks for any help. icon_thumright.gif Any tips would be appreciated as well, for a first time Cert taker. :)

Comments

• MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Krze wrote: »
    Hey all. New guy here, I've been browsing these forums for maybe two weeks here and there. I really want to join the I.T. scene and I'm making some moves to learn more. I will be starting school in Dec. and wanted to try to knock out some Certifications during school, at least the easier ones.

Anyway, I wanted to start with the A+ Cert and was wondering which book I should get to help study? I read here that the Mike Meyer's All in One sixth edition is the way to go, but I'm still not clear if it would still be good choice with the new 701/702 test that are out. And with school starting soon, not sure if Ill be able to cram it in to be able to make the 601/602 deadline. Or will I be fine studying for the 701/702 with Mike Meyer's sixth edition?

Thanks for any help. icon_thumright.gif Any tips would be appreciated as well, for a first time Cert taker. :)

Up until a week ago I had no certifications and recently started to study for the A+ and passed it. Since you are going to school soon, I would recommend going with the newer version 701/702 exams. I would recommend the Sybex book for the new test as there is not a Mike Meyers book out yet. Much of what you'd read in the Mike Meyers All in one will be on the newer tests, however you'd want to pick up knowledge on Vista if that is the only book you'll use.

Keep in mind that the older test is only available to take and pass until 2/28/2010.
  • KrzeKrze Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick response. Which Sybex book would be the best to study? I see there are a few. (Complete review guide, Complete study guide, Complete deluxe study... etc.)

Thanks.
    Krze wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response. Which Sybex book would be the best to study? I see there are a few. (Complete review guide, Complete study guide, Complete deluxe study... etc.)

Thanks.

Myself, I used the "Review" book. But unless you have real world experience and are very familiar with computers and the issues, it wont' work for you.

I would suggest anyone who is not entrenched and working in a rather broad support role now to get the complete book. I forget what the ISBN is, but it has something like 1100+ odd pages and should retail at Borders for around $60 US.

While the Review guide did help me out quite a bit, there was alot that it did not cover that I knew from experience. Your mileage may vary. :)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to TE!
    Thanks veritas.

My real world experience isn't too in depth into I.T., I don't work in I.T. I have been working in graphics (Adobe, Solidworks, AutoCAD etc) but I don't really love doing that. It just gets the bills paid. My real hobby is computers, I built my first one when I was 18 and built about 6 since. All bought piece by piece, from the OS to the Case, and I have fixed hardware problems with each of them and took them apart and rebuilt again. That's what gets me going. =] Just can get expensive, haha. So I'm not sure where I stand in A+ experience but Ill probably be safe getting the bigger one I'm guessing.
    I would absolutely get the bigger one for sure. Issues you run into at home won't generally match up with what you will need to know for the A+. Most of us don't have laser printers at home and all the parts that make them work to do well on that section.

And if you are new to this type of IT, then you will want that bigger book as a guide to use whenever you may get stuck.
    Here's the ISBN of the book that should work for you.