Options

Passed CCSA

JstnJstn Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed it about an hour ago. I studied from the official course material and also the syngress book. If anyone has any questions let me know. :)

CCSE in the next couple of weeks most likely.

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jstn wrote: »
    Passed it about an hour ago. I studied from the official course material and also the syngress book. If anyone has any questions let me know. :)

Congrats!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Yes I have a few. First of all congrats on the pass. Passing CCSA without the course or course books is quite a challenge regardless of production experience. I have worked with a number of very timeserved Checkpoint support professionals who would most probably tank this test because they are not using all the features in the field which are laid out in the course material.

Historically Checkpoint like Novell exams were cake if you had the course books and put time in with them. There was a run on used Novell 'White Books' back in the day when the CNE was hot. Courses are expensive.

To what extent did the syngress book help with test prep? I notice there is a Boson practice test but the free examples look rubbish. Have you tried any testpreps at all? I briefly chatted with someone on transcender.me about a test prep but it turns out transcender have a subsidary ********** which are **** so I wont be buying those.
  • Options
    Thanks for the congrats!
    Turgon wrote: »
    Yes I have a few. First of all congrats on the pass. Passing CCSA without the course or course books is quite a challenge regardless of production experience. I have worked with a number of very timeserved Checkpoint support professionals who would most probably tank this test because they are not using all the features in the field which are laid out in the course material.

Historically Checkpoint like Novell exams were cake if you had the course books and put time in with them. There was a run on used Novell 'White Books' back in the day when the CNE was hot. Courses are expensive.

To what extent did the syngress book help with test prep? I notice there is a Boson practice test but the free examples look rubbish. Have you tried any testpreps at all? I briefly chatted with someone on transcender.me about a test prep but it turns out transcender have a subsidary ********** which are **** so I wont be buying those.

I read the courseware first, then studied from the syngress book which was a little less dry, and then I went back to courseware for any details that I needed. I think what the syngress book did was make what I read in the courseware seem more practical. I didn't try any test preps, I looked online for one of those practice tests that are web based like techexams does, and I found one that had like 5 - 10 questions, but it was no where even close to the actual material.

Best of luck on your exam though :)
  • Options
    brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    Where did you get the courseware? I was under the impression that it was given the people signing up to the course and not available otherwise.

Oh and congrats btw :)
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • Options
    broc wrote: »
    Where did you get the courseware? I was under the impression that it was given the people signing up to the course and not available otherwise.

Oh and congrats btw :)
    Course materials to help you prepare for CCSA and CCSE certification can be purchased from ATCs designated as Check Point Courseware Distributors. Email us for a list of approved distributors in your area.

Other product courses and training materials can be purchased directly from Check Point through our Courseware Order page.

Training and Certification FAQs

You don't have to attend training to get the courseware. I personally recommend finding second hand courseware as it can be expensive.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Training and Certification FAQs

You don't have to attend training to get the courseware. I personally recommend finding second hand courseware as it can be expensive.

Second hand courseware would be good. Rather that than going blind on CP PDFs on the website. Those coursebooks are the best shake and bake way to a CCSA.

$300 on the CP website.
  • Options
    brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    Well that's not cheap for a pdf... even if it's a good one :)

I saw $400 on the CheckPoint website personally, definitely worth looking at the second hand market!
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • Options
    BobMeadBobMead Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□

Congrats and welcome to the club!
    Press RETURN to get started

:roll: