Options

Is the CCNA set to change anytime soon + are my study materials sufficient?

starwolf43starwolf43 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm considering going for the CCNA as my next certification, but first I want to make sure that the CCNA is not set to change any time soon, so has Cisco announced any upcoming changes to the exam and how long of a notice does Cisco usually give before making changes?

Secondly, after reading the FAQ, these are the materials that I plan to buy and use for studying:
-One 2501 router
-One 2950 switch
-One transceiver
-Boson Network simulator
-Sybex Study Guide as my primary study guide to read cover to cover
-Cisco Press Study Guide as my secondary study guide to skim through after I'm done with the Sybex book

Will these materials be sufficient for somebody that does not have much experience with Cisco? Should I really get more than one router even though I'm also getting a simulator (I don't have much money)? Also, is using the Sybex book as my primary study guide and the Cisco Press book as my secondary study guide the best method or should I reverse it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Not that I am aware. It is still fairly new from the last change. CCENT-> CCNA -> CC*P
    The CCNP courses are due to change next year though.

If you are wanting a router just to play with you may be better with a 1721 (very cheap) as it has a more modern IOS command syntax in accordance with what you will be tested on.

Don't forget that this site has some very good technotes and search through the forums for info on particular topics.
    Kam.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Not that I am aware. It is still fairly new from the last change. CCENT-> CCNA -> CC*P
    The CCNP courses are due to change next year though.

If you are wanting a router just to play with you may be better with a 1721 (very cheap) as it has a more modern IOS command syntax in accordance with what you will be tested on.

Don't forget that this site has some very good technotes and search through the forums for info on particular topics.

+1

Good info Kam.

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker