Android OS and Exchange Activesync

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was wondering if anybody has been able to get an Android phone to sync with Exchange

Comments

• wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Would like to know too.
  • slideoffslideoff Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Which Android Phone? Verizon Droid has exchange support built into the Android 2.0 OS.

For the Tmobile G1 (and some of the other HTC android phones) you can root the phone and install custom Android that includes the native exchange client from the HTC Android Builds (see Dream android development - xda-developers).

Or you can buy a 3rd party app like NitroDesk Touchdown
    "Jeez louise, I can't wait to get my MCSE and quit this job." - Nick Burns
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    On the G1 Nitrodesk Touchdown has worked flawlessly and also RoadSync works great as well. The e-mail app that ships with the MyTouch also works just fine as we have a number of clients running on that. Can't comment on the Droid as our customer base is T-Mobile for a very good reason. RoadSync is free the last that I saw, though I've been using Touchdown on my G1.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    undomiel wrote: »
    Can't comment on the Droid as our customer base is T-Mobile for a very good reason.

There's a good reason to be a T-Mobile customer?

I ordered my Droid for my Verizon personal account and it should be here tomorrow. According to the Verizon rep I spoke to on Friday, you have to have $45 per month unlimited data add-on to be able to use ActiveSync with Exchange. Since work already gives me a T-Mobile BlackBerry, I won't be paying extra for ActiveSync. The unlimited browsing / personal email account add-on will be enough for me.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Claymoore wrote: »

I ordered my Droid for my Verizon personal account and it should be here tomorrow. According to the Verizon rep I spoke to on Friday, you have to have $45 per month unlimited data add-on to be able to use ActiveSync with Exchange. Since work already gives me a T-Mobile BlackBerry, I won't be paying extra for ActiveSync. The unlimited browsing / personal email account add-on will be enough for me.

I want one, but I just don't want to spend $45/mo on a data plan, but if I get one, i want ActiveSync.

Oh well, another year of my sucky Moto q9c... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    I want one, but I just don't want to spend $45/mo on a data plan, but if I get one, i want ActiveSync.

Oh well, another year of my sucky Moto q9c... icon_rolleyes.gif

I don't use exchange for my personal phone, but I can confirm through another individual with a Droid that you do not have to spend $45 for your data plan. Exchange works perfectly fine with a $30 data plan, if you are technically supposed to use that or not is up to question. For what it's worth, two Verizon rep's I spoke to (one through a reseller, Best Buy, and the other at a Verizon Corporate Store) both said for personal use you can use the $30 plan even if you have your own Exchange server.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Claymoore wrote: »

Best customer care in the world
    $50 unlimited calling and text
    $25 data plan, unlimited, no restrictions
    great phones
    Coverage anywhere/everywhere I travel (the entire country)

What?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I use NitroDesk's Touchdown and it works great with SSL!
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Basically, the $45 dollar plan is for businesses with IT Departments who pay the bill and control everything. I've been seeing a number of articles saying that the "unlimited" plan is capped at 5 gigs a month and no exchange. It's simply not true and I challenge you to find a Verizon customer with the $30 plan that has had an overage. I have my work exchange account on the phone and pay $30 a month. It synced within 3 minutes and I've been getting e-mails ever since. My job really makes out because I received an e-mail about a login problem at 7 am this morning and I cleared it up right then before leaving for work.

Get the Droid it is the best!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff