Options

2010 Certification Plans

Comments

• Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    As for 2010...

I'm taking the 70-270 exam in December, so 2010 will be taken up with mostly MCSA/MCSE certs. I also wanted to obtain the Linux+ cert by the end of 2010.

I really hope to fit in enough time with a wedding next year and my company's merger taking place, I will be busy.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    OMG, then what will we do!?!? A valuable member will become deified and none will be able to solicit his aid without the sacrifice of a virgin and the poring of much libation.

And while on a geek forum virgins might be in greater supply, they are probably not the type that would please you.

I just want a few minions that I can direct to spend their nights and weekends migrating mailboxes so I don't have to. A few weeks ago my company responded to an RFI for a massive email migration project that had a 3 year timeline. While all the execs and sales guys were dreaming of billable hours and bonuses, I was having nightmares about spending at least 2 years of nights and weekends migrating mailboxes. Still, I would love a shot at designing that system...

Blargoe brought this up in his post, but I also think I am done expanding my skillset for a while and would rather get better at what I already do. Achieving a Master certification would also align my certification goals with my career goal of being the top Exchange consultant in my company. I may have to travel a little more between doing dog-and-pony shows with the sales force and designing/auditing Exchange projects, but I shouldn't be gone as long. If the Master starts getting the recognition it deserves, I should also be able to continue to support my family with a single income while my wife pursues her dream of opening her own business. That would be worth the time and effort.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow, some great goals here.

I just got my first MS certification on Friday and it was like taking Ecstasy for the first time (ex-raver here). My goal for 2010 is to continue towards the MCITP:EA path as it aligns very well with my job. After I complete that I will ask my employer what they think I should focus on and if I agree that will become my q3/q4 goals of 2010.

I initially thought it would take until the end of 2010 to acquire the :EA but now I think August/September is feasible. I'm not too worried about what I attain in 2010 as long as I continue learning.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Nothing too exciting for me. I'd still love to pursue that RHCE but I'm not sure when I'll find the time to do it. Next year is most likely CCNA followed by MCITP:EMA in either 2007 or 2010 depending upon what the company decides to deploy. I'm excited about the Cisco stuff I just hope that the deal goes through. I also am hoping that we'll get on the 2010 bandwagon as it looks pretty exciting to me as well.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rsutton wrote: »
    I just got my first MS certification on Friday and it was like taking Ecstasy for the first time (ex-raver here).

There is no way we've taken the same exams...
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I think I'll be focusing solely on the CCIE. I hope to have at least the Written done in 2010. A lab attempt would be nice as well.
  • Options
    coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Plans for 2010:

Cisco
    640-816 = CCNA

VmWare
    VCP

Micro$oft
    70-299
    70-680
    70-649
    70-647

Comptia
    Security +
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Claymoore wrote: »
    If the Master starts getting the recognition it deserves, I should also be able to continue to support my family with a single income while my wife pursues her dream of opening her own business. That would be worth the time and effort.

Well, all I have to say is if you manage it you will not have to worry about getting the recognition YOU deserve. This will quite simply be huge for you. The certification is not highly sought because there are so few who have it. Once you put that on your resume you will be able to do some major leveraging on a salary negotiation.

I honestly believe you will be above mere mortals! :D
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Claymoore wrote: »
    If the Master starts getting the recognition it deserves, I should also be able to continue to support my family with a single income while my wife pursues her dream of opening her own business. That would be worth the time and effort.

A worthy goal. Are you paying for it out of pocket?
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Certification Goals A+ 701(May) 702 (July)
    Network+(October)

I put a huge time frame on the certifications because I work full time, and go to school part time.

I failed the A+ last time, but this time I’m reading each chapter, doing the review questions, taking notes, and making note cards.

Another goal I have is to find a volunteer or internship position before I finish my A.A.S in IT degree.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A worthy goal. Are you paying for it out of pocket?

I heard he's using what he finds in his couch...
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Wow, how time changes interests and needs. These were my goals for 2009:

Certifications/Exams:

GMAT (passed with score I was okay with)
    CEH (got it)
    CAPM (cancelled cause I hate PM theory and have no interest in PMP)
    RHCE (got it)
    CCDP (cancelled)
    SNIA SCSP (cancelled)
    ITIL v3 Foundations (got it)
    MCTS: Microsoft Small Business Server 2008 (got it)
    CCNA Voice (cancelled)
    6 MBA courses (of which I did complete 4)

I think I came out pretty well overall, considering I got married and am buying a new house along with working 40+ hours/week.

I typed this whole spiel up about stopping studying networking technologies for a while, then remembered for my Cisco partner account I have to do two certifications to get Small Business specialization. These are:

SMB Solutions for Engineers (650-180)
    SMB Specialization for Account Managers (650-175)

These are some of the other classes and certifications I probably will be getting in 2010 to Mid-2011. (paid for by Louisiana, woohoo!)

RHCA (Red Hat Certified Architect)
    MCITP: SA (just the SA, we don't use EA technology)

Bakbone - Netvault Certified Administrator

IBM Bladecenter Fundamentals course

I still want to go back for the SNIA SCSP to learn more about storage, but we'll see.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CISSP,GPEN,Sec+08 by feb then MIS. If i have time GPEN gold.
    2011 will be up to CCSP,GCIH or if i crack the schools I want mba.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I heard he's using what he finds in his couch...

I never have enough change for it to fall out of my pockets icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    About 6 months ago, I decided to get back into the cert game. It was looking like my workload was going to shift a bit away from Linux/Unix into more of the Cisco realm, so I was planning on:

• CCNA (Reinstatement)
    • CCNP

Things ended up staying fairly Linux centric, so I finished up the CCNA, and got part way through the CCNP studies before taking a break from work related certs to get my Amateur Extra ticket. Lots of fun, and as a bonus, it was a nice refresher on the electronics concepts that I don't get a chance to work with regularly.

For 2010, I'm looking at:
    • LPIC Level 1
    • Ubuntu Certified Professional
    • RHCE
    Lower on the priority scale, but also possible are:
    • Security+
    • CCNP
  • Options
    UnixGeek wrote: »
    Things ended up staying fairly Linux centric, so I finished up the CCNA, and got part way through the CCNP studies before taking a break from work related certs to get my Amateur Extra ticket. Lots of fun, and as a bonus, it was a nice refresher on the electronics concepts that I don't get a chance to work with regularly.

As in Amateur Radio Extra?
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SANS GCIH (Incident Handling)
    CISSP
    CCSP
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Well, I missed some of my goals for 2009, but I did get my butt back in school and am now working full time, so I'm not so down over not getting all the certs I'd hope I'd get this year.

As for 2010:
    - main focus is school. If I can do 3 classes this spring + work, then I'll be well on my way to my goal of graduating mid 2011.
    - finishing my MCSA. For this I "just" need the 291, but I've got woefully little experience with the topics on that exam, so that's more of a long term goal that will take some hands on practice and prolonged studying, with the more intense study sessions during breaks from school.
    - Security+: I might get work to foot the bill for this one. It's been submitted for approval, and I'm waiting to hear back.
    - CAPM: I know it's no PMP, but again, work might foot the bill for this one, including some insanely expensive multiple day training session. Sounds kinda like a mini boot camp to me, but I'd do reviewing outside of the training as well to round out the studies. Besides, I'm not certain I meet the training/experience requirements yet for PMP, so once I take a (required) project management course at school, then I might consider doing the "upgrade" to PMP.
    - mayyyybe CCNA, or perhaps just CCENT for the time being. Either way, I'd go the two exam route to make it a bit less stressful for me. I already have the Network+, so the CCENT wouldn't be too bad. For the second exam, if I can get my hands on some good sim software, then I'll consider doing that in late 2010.

That's about it for me. I feel like I should be more ambitious, but I'll keep the list of certs to a minimum until I figure out how the work/school load is going to go next semester. I have a feeling I won't be getting a ton of sleep or having a lot of free time on my hands...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    eduromereduromer Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I missed most of my goals for this year, but i was able to finish an important one, now im CCNP. after setting an unrealistic set of goals last year i should probably think about this seriously cause i dont wanna miss it again.

so i'll be back.....
    "Almost..... is as good as Nothing"
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    As in Amateur Radio Extra?

Yup. I got a chuckle out of some of the data modes. X.25 lives on!
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was going to set goals for 2010, then realized no matter what I did, we're only two years away from 2012 and the end of the world. What's the point???!

Seriously though...

Finish my MCITP:EA upgrade. Probably January 2010.

CCNA

Some MCSE/MCITP electives to round out my portfolio:
    70-284
    70-285
    70-401

Probably should do MCITP:EMA and I want to get my CCA as well.

So 10 exams for 2010.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    UnixGeek wrote: »
    Yup. I got a chuckle out of some of the data modes. X.25 lives on!

Yes it does! I still enjoy Packet and A.P.R.S. I would never have gotten interested in computer networks and servers if hadn't been for Amateur Radio.
  • Options
    Hi Y'all,

I am very thankful for finding TechExams.net this year. I enjoy talking to everyone as well as hopefully contributing something back to the community :)

So far this year I have graduated with my A.A.S. in Computer Networking technology, and passed the Network+ certification. Next week I hope also pass the Security+ certification. [Update: Passed]

My plans for 2010 (Isn't there a SciFi movie named that?) is to gain the following certifications:

1. CCENT
    2. CCNA
    3. CCDA or CCNA:Security (Not sure which)
    I will also be starting on a Bachelor degree in Information technology in the Fall. I am hoping to knock off three certifications before my classes start since college will begin taking over most of my study time.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Doesn't look like I'll get my MCSA upgraded to 2003 this year, so it may lag into next. After that would be 2008 MCITP:SA.

More Novell certs and SQL-related certs would be nice, but given how crazy '09 has been I don't want to get my hopes to far up for 2010. . .
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not sure to be honest. I am at a toss up between LPI/CISA/MCITP:SA

CISA is only offered twice a year so I might have to give that one a whirl. I am preparing for an internal and external audit so this project might be my big project for end of 09 early 10. A CISA would be a nice feather in my cap due to that. LPI or MCITP is something I might have to think long and hard on.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    petedude wrote: »
    Doesn't look like I'll get my MCSA upgraded to 2003 this year, so it may lag into next. After that would be 2008 MCITP:SA.

You do know that the actual upgrade exam is retired, right?
  • Options
    pespi_manpespi_man Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I want to do my 70-642 and 70-646 in the next 2-3 months for the MCITP:SA.
    Then maybe go back and do the 70-291 for my MCSA 2003. (Which I am kinda thinking whats the point but from a job perspective it would help me.)
    Then finish off the MCITP:EA.
    I really want to do VCP4 for Vsphere, its a awesome product also Sharepoint and Exchange 2007/2010.
    Maybe even SBS2003/2008 as they also seem to be in demand.
    Oops, I forgot I want that windows7 cert, just failed last time in the beta. Want to nail that this year.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    He Y'all,

I am very thankful for finding TechExams.net this year. I enjoy talking to everyone as well as hopefully contributing something back to the community :)

I see through your blatant attempt at getting + rep! And give you some any way!icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    I see through your blatant attempt at getting + rep! And give you some any way!icon_thumright.gif

Actually I was serious, but hey! If I can get more rep than all the better icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Priorities for 2K10 would be CCDA, CCDP, CWNA, CCNA Wireless. Perhaps delve into CCIE writtin towards the end of 2k10. The goal is set , time to travel down the road to completion. icon_smile.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX