Options

2010 Certification Plans

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    UnixGeek wrote: »
    Things ended up staying fairly Linux centric, so I finished up the CCNA, and got part way through the CCNP studies before taking a break from work related certs to get my Amateur Extra ticket. Lots of fun, and as a bonus, it was a nice refresher on the electronics concepts that I don't get a chance to work with regularly.
    As in Amateur Radio Extra?
    Getting my Amateur Extra license is also on my plate for 2010. Gonna try to do it at Defcon 18 in August.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    2010 will be a tough year! I do not expect to complete all of these, but we will see how many I can accomplish. Lets see if I can seperate work, school, and personal goals

Work:
    CCNP, CCDA, CCDP in that order. Work has "required" that myself and one other obtain the CCNP and CCDA at a minimum by end of year if we want to see merit raises in 2011. The worst part, they won't even pay for the books!

School:
    Already in the WGU MS:Info Sec & Assurance as of Jan 1 which means for the year:
    CEH, CHFI, CWSP exam PW0-200, EC-DRP, GIAC 7799

Personal:
    ISSAP, CISM, OSCP

Of all of these, I know that the CCNP, CCDA, and ISSAP will take priority for me. I will have the BCMSN completed towards the CCNP before Xmas which will help, and possibly ISCW as well. That will leave ~12 for next year, which will be brutal.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I don't really know what I will actually get accomplished. I would like to do the following though:

GCIA
    GCFW (that's a bigggg maybe)
    CCNA: Sec
    CCSA (also a big maybe)
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    msft exchange 2k7
    finish up scna 10
    msft 2k8 related exams
    storage cert, not sure which... deal with emc/hds so may go snia to be a bit more "neutral"
    would like to hit vmware as well... wont get to all of these for sure.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    This December, I will finish my last exam 70-293 to finish MCSE 2003 and my plan on 2010:

yeah, I am so frustrated that I longed plan to finish this CCNA but I can't because of my busy work and I can't start CCNA without finishing my MCSE 2003. But after this 293 this dec., I will see to it that I will start on my CCNA certification ( a must )

After the CCNA (hopefully) then, the start of my quest for MCITP EA. argghhhh too many certs to study, time is really that gold...
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    The time has never been much of an issue for me. I can always squeeze it in.

Its the fact that certs are expensive and work doesnt help out with them, at all.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The certifications that I'm working on in 2010 would be the CCNA and the Project+ (if I didn't pass the beta exam). It'll be awsome because thats 15 credits right there for my four year. I hope to have my CCNA by the end of the school year so I can work on my Secuirty+ exam.
    I'll also have my AAAS in Network Administration by 2010 (winter).
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a very successful 2009, taking six tests, passing five of them and still waiting for the 686 results. I am pretty sure that will be a fail but I may be surprised.

For 2010 I expect to take a similar load of tests. I'm getting out of my comfort zone so I will be lucky to get these done.

Security+ (probably by Feb or March)

MCITP:EA - I have the EST so I'm 1/5 of the way on this one

Possibly 70-680 if I passed the 686 just to finish out the EA. I don't think I'll do this one though.

If my employer becomes generous this year I'll take the required VCP class and work on that exam for the end of the year. Really I'd drop everything to get it; I love VMware and have lead the project to move our servers to the virtual infrastructure. We set a goal to have it finished by 12/31/09 and (fingers crossed) we will have our final server transferred to VM this weekend.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    I'm going to attempt the below. I don't have as much time to study as some but I'm going to try anyways.

CCNA - Currently studying

CCNA:Voice

BCMSN

BSCI - Currently studying

Keith
  • Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    MCITP: EA before the end of 2009 (hopefully)
    Possibly finish out MCSE: Sec. I only have to take the 70-299.
    CCNA
    Then start on CCNP. Any suggestions on what order to take the exams? icon_smile.gif
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Getting my Amateur Extra license is also on my plate for 2010. Gonna try to do it at Defcon 18 in August.

A good goal. I keep thinking about it, but I don't know if I would ever spend much time on those additional bands. HF does intrigue me though :)
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well I took and passed the sans gcfw on Friday so I'm on to ccsp. Is it cheating to start in '09? ;)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    My 2010 certifications include:

CCDP
    CCIP
    Certified Fire Instructor II (my other careericon_lol.gif) LOL

Thinking about the CCNA voice/security/wireless certs do you guys think it is worthwhile for me to get them, I have not looked into them because I have been so wrapped up in my Professional level certifications
    Mike if your out there what do you think icon_study.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    Knives OutKnives Out Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    finishing off 2009 with Tandberg's TCAP and TCEP certifications, should have both by next Friday.

After that I am aiming at CCNA Voice or CCDA, either of which should count towards renewing my CCNA, then onwards to begin the Microsoft journey I've been delaying so long.

All of this goes hand in hand with the consulting and support services business I am preparing to launch. No rest for the wicked :P
  • Options
    jrmeulemansjrmeulemans Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MCITP:EA
    70-642
    70-646
    70-647

Security+

CCNA and CCNA Sec
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    You do know that the actual upgrade exam is retired, right?

Yup. Taking 290 and 291 to upgrade into '03, using my 2000 MCSE for electives.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    hill1221hill1221 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My 2010 plans are:

70-293
    70-294
    70-299
    Certified Ethical Hacker
    Certified Computer Forensic Investigator

I make technology work for people, not people work for technology!
  • Options
    Divine-AssaultDivine-Assault Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For my 2010 Certification path I'm hoping to:

Finish my MCSA
    Complete MCSE
    Get CCENT/CCNA
    Get Security+

Hopefully I will fulfill these goals. It will be tough because I will be a full time student but I think I can do it. icon_wink.gif
    Currently Studying for: 70-291

Life is too precious to waste...

Check out my Blog! :D
    www.oreillybookreviews.blogspot.com
  • Options
    A worthy goal. I keep thinking about it, but I don't know if I would ever spend much time on those additional bands. HF does intrigue me though :)
    I'm doing Extra just to force the knowledge into my brain. I really have no interest in talking on phone, and at the rate I'm learning Morse I'll be ready for CW five years after I'm dead. But the LEO and EME stuff looks really interesting to try, especially at QRP levels.

Oh, and as for certs, I'm doing the OSCP next, maybe renewing my CWSP, and taking the CCENT->CCNA->CCNA:Security route. I also want to take a few computer forensics classes next year, so it's anyone's guess where most of my time will be spent.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I'm doing Extra just to force the knowledge into my brain. I really have no interest in talking on phone, and at the rate I'm learning Morse I'll be ready for CW five years after I'm dead. But the LEO and EME stuff looks really interesting to try, especially at QRP levels.

Oh, and as for certs, I'm doing the OSCP next, maybe renewing my CWSP, and taking the CCENT->CCNA->CCNA:Security route. I also want to take a few computer forensics classes next year, so it's anyone's guess where most of my time will be spent.

The LEOs and Packet is what intrigues me about the HF bands. I would love to learn CW (My Grandfather was a radio man during WWII) but with everything else it won't be happing anytime soon. I also have found great interest Icom's D-Star system. If you haven't had experience with this then I think you would enjoy learning about it JD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-STAR
  • Options
    That is very interesting. A 128 kbit/s data connection means playing FPS and RTS games over Ham radio!

My next great experiment will be with Software Defined Radio, and hopefully with a QRP rig from FlexRadio Systems.
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    I'm doing Extra for the knowledge as well. Realistically, everything that I plan to do can be done with just a General.

The data modes are my primary interest. For now, I just have a handheld 2m that I'm experimenting with by connecting it to a PC's and PDA's audio ports. D-Star and HF packet are things that I'd like to experiment with, along with doing things with ISM band transmitters that they were never intended to do.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    UnixGeek wrote: »
    I'm doing Extra for the knowledge as well. Realistically, everything that I plan to do can be done with just a General.

Hah, but what's the latency?
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Well, since I passed the 71-685 and the 71-686, I've decided to ask for a 70-680 book for Christmas so that I can add that to my list.
  • Options
    Jamesm3Jamesm3 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I pass 70-680 tomorrow, I will have obtained MCITP:SA / EA this year.

I will then have a break until after xmas were I start

- Windows SBS 2008 Exam (Should only take me a week or two)
    - VMWare ESX exams
    - Hyper-V Exams and related
    - Was thinking about CEH just for something different.
    C|EHv9, Security+, MCITP:SA - MCITP:EA - MCTS - MCSE - MCSA - MCP - MCP+i - Network+ - A+
  • Options
    Deltah_Deltah_ Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't satisfy my plan for 2009 because I began a certificate in Telecommunication at University last autumn and it's eating a lot of my own time.

But, for 2010 I will be back on certification track with:

SNRS, maybe January, already 3 months of study in the head.

CWSP - April-May and maybe CCNA Wireless at the same time

SNAF Exam - August

IPS Exam - November

And maybe continue with ARCH exam to be a CCDP.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe ITIL. Maybe 2008 R2 track and bypass the 2008 R1 track. We'll see. I haven't cared much about certs other than my Exchange and OCS certs for a while now.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    royal wrote: »
    Maybe 2008 R2 track and bypass the 2008 R1 track.

Since when will there be a new track for R2??

There wasnt one for 2003 R2
  • Options
    wheezwheez Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmm, I didn't really give this a lot of thought so far but I'm seeing lots of great suggestions in this thread!

I'll be focussing to finish my graduation project for my BS in ICT for the remainder of 2009, so hope to graduate late 2009 or early 2010. When that's done I'm going for the MCITP:EA. I've got two exams left for that one.

After that, I don't know really.. At the moment I think I should probably take a break and pat myself on the back.. icon_smile.gif Don't know how I long I could keep doing nothing though, cause in some way I find getting certs etc. is pretty addictive.

I'm thinking of maybe doing a MS or MBA track. On the other hand I'm really interested in project management, so I'd might look at that. Virtualization (VCP or Microsoft) is also possible, so to be honest really have to think this through!
    WIP: Considering cert path.. :-)
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rhermans wrote: »
    Hmm, I didn't really give this a lot of thought so far but I'm seeing lots of great suggestions in this thread!

I'll be focussing to finish my graduation project for my BS in ICT for the remainder of 2009, so hope to graduate late 2009 or early 2010. When that's done I'm going for the MCITP:EA. I've got two exams left for that one.

After that, I don't know really.. At the moment I think I should probably take a break and pat myself on the back.. icon_smile.gif Don't know how I long I could keep doing nothing though, cause in some way I find getting certs etc. is pretty addictive.

I'm thinking of maybe doing a MS or MBA track. On the other hand I'm really interested in project management, so I'd might look at that. Virtualization (VCP or Microsoft) is also possible, so to be honest really have to think this through!

Am I reading your certifications correctly? Does that say "ITIL v1 Foundation"?

MS