Options

2010 Certification Plans

Comments

• Options
    eduromereduromer Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok after a lot of consideration i decide the road im going to try to stick to:

1.-CCSP
    2.-CCNA Voice

And then depends on my job wheter i start with the CCIP or CCVP :S

Happy holidays everyone
    "Almost..... is as good as Nothing"
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Goals for 2010 include finishing up CCNP (ONT left), then getting CCIE written down. Depending on when I finish the ONT, I may even be making an attempt at the lab.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Must get new job.

Try to earn 8K more than I am now.

That will fulfil my goal of 2001.

Then I can move onto my goals of 2007 (not much happened between those years).
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I discovered that MCITP: Hyper-V is way more fun than CCSP...but that's just me. Now what am I gonna do with this ASA? There's only so much time!

Edit: before i get flamed too badly, I still plan on doing the CCSP. Just got a little sidetracked because of the way things are going at work :)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Edit: before i get flamed too badly, I still plan on doing the CCSP. Just got a little sidetracked because of the way things are going at work :)

You sure? I'll give you $20 for that ASA...
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    You sure? I'll give you $20 for that ASA...

Drat, I came into that last post to late.... I will give you $35 for it... :D
  • Options
    bar182bar182 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1. New Job
    2. Finally finish MCSA
    3. MCSE
    4. MCITP:EA
    5. VCP

If I get all that I will be pretty chirpy :)
    MCP | MCTS:Vista| CCA:XenApp5|
    WIP > 70-291 for MCSA
  • Options
    SumptuousSumptuous Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MCITP EA,SA ,Enterprise Messaging,CWNA and then CCNP.....
    2010 GOALS

MCITP,EA,SACWNACCNP
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Finishing off MCITP:EA, VCP3 and then completing VCP4 and ITIL foundation are the key goals for 2010. After those I'll likely need to do some Juniper stuff (JNCIA-FWV and JNCIA-EX) but as ever, nothing is set in stone and it'll largely depend on work requirements.

Good luck with your studies everyone, and all the best for 2010.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    redliviuredliviu Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CompTIA Linux+
    RHCT
    RHCE
    MCSA
    MCSE
    MCITP:EA

Lessons learned : "Don't hurry" neither on the exam nor in learning and sleep well the night before the exam.

Failed CCNA with 812 and needed 825
    Failed RHCE with 74.1%/66.7% from 70% needed,passing 2nd time with 100%/100% RHCT/RHCE

CCNA 2nd try
    CompTIA Security+
    CCNP
    SCSA
    SCNA
    VCP4

Good luck everyone

We are our memories and experiences and we take all the decisions(personal or work) based on them.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    1) New job making at least $8k/yr more (the job is required, the pay is the actual goal, I received my lay off notice, effective June 2011)
    2) ITIL v3 Foundation (hoping to take the exam in January)
    3) CCNA (been saying this for years, but will finally do it this time)
    4) Don't know? Maybe one of the sub-certs of CCNA(Security, likely), perhaps CCNP(I feel grossly underqualified to be holding it, but maybe I'm being harsh on myself). MCITP: Ent. Admin. would make me look pretty good, I think, but I'd like to move away from systems support.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    I'd like to take it easy for 2010 as far as certifications. Here are my goals:
    1) ITIL v3 Foundation
    2) CCENT (possibly CCNA in 4th QTR)

I want to spend most of 2010 reviewing the material I'm already certified in (we all have those weak areas) before tackling any advanced certs in 2011.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    apena7 wrote: »
    I'd like to take it easy for 2010 as far as certifications. Here are my goals:
    1) ITIL v3 Foundation
    2) CCENT (possibly CCNA in 4th QTR)

I want to spend most of 2010 reviewing the material I'm already certified in (we all have those weak areas) before tackling any advanced certs in 2011.

I would say doing all your ccna would go over all the information you learn in Network+ and beyond. I don't see the point in going over A+ and server + there not really valued.

Good Luck
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    thomas130 wrote: »
    I don't see the point in going over A+ and server + there not really valued.

Good Luck

Groan!! You know it really bothers me when I see statements like this with no supporting evidence. It would be better to state "in your opinion" for it is not the general consensus of the industry. CompTIA exams are supported by its members which represent all of the major and minor companies in the industry. They would not keep upgrading the exams if they were not worthwhile at roughly $200,000 a pop; it is not to make a profit although that is what many think about all certifications from anyone.

One example is EMC which until the MS only fans complained, Server+ was the only prerequisite that they accepted for their advanced SAN's courses. People that wonder why they fail technical interviews actually believe your statement. What certs would you recommend to pick up hardware knowledge? My friend, all the world is not a desktop PC or a laptop nor does it only run Windows or IOS.

Before you ask, yes besides many other certifications I also have a SNAILS+ I do them like most other ones just to learn as mental exercise. A Professor told me long ago never let school or anyone else stop your quest for knowledge. Many many years later I still consider this sage advice.

It is not my intention to pick on or to flame you . You are by no means the only one that has or will make comments like this. I just want people to think about how much this discourages some that may believe they had made a good decision.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TheShadow wrote: »
    Groan!! You know it really bothers me when I see statements like this with no supporting evidence. It would be better to state "in your opinion" for it is not the general consensus of the industry. CompTIA exams are supported by its members which represent all of the major and minor companies in the industry. They would not keep upgrading the exams if they were not worthwhile at roughly $200,000 a pop; it is not to make a profit although that is what many think about all certifications from anyone.

One example is EMC which until the MS only fans complained, Server+ was the only prerequisite that they accepted for their advanced SAN's courses. People that wonder why they fail technical interviews actually believe your statement. What certs would you recommend to pick up hardware knowledge? My friend, all the world is not a desktop PC or a laptop nor does it only run Windows or IOS.

Before you ask, yes besides many other certifications I also have a SNAILS+ I do them like most other ones just to learn as mental exercise. A Professor told me long ago never let school or anyone else stop your quest for knowledge. Many many years later I still consider this sage advice.

It is not my intention to pick on or to flame you . You are by no means the only one that has or will make comments like this. I just want people to think about how much this discourages some that may believe they had made a good decision.

Couldn't you use the amount of jobs (or lack there of) that mention a cert in its description as supporting evidence? The last time I looked there were 3 jobs that mentioned Server+ in its description. Lets see about now

server+ Jobs at Dice.com

There are now 11. A decent improvement. So there is some evidence. I guess you would also need to take into consideration that there are many many jobs that would like you to have "server+" knowledge.

There are also more than 400 jobs requiring A+ certification.
    http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/servlet/JobSearch?registerRemSw=0&SAVESEARCH=&op=300&caller=2&LOCATION_OPTION=2&AREA_CODES=&ZIPCODE=&RADIUS=64.37376&COUNTRY=&METRO_AREA=33.78715899%2C-84.39164034&TRAVEL=0&SORTSPEC=0&FRMT=0&DAYSBACK=30&NUM_PER_PAGE=30&N=0&EXPANDED_NE=&FREE_TEXT=a%2B&Ntx=mode+matchall

And about 100 network+ jobs.

http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/servlet/JobSearch?registerRemSw=0&SAVESEARCH=&op=300&caller=2&LOCATION_OPTION=2&AREA_CODES=&ZIPCODE=&RADIUS=64.37376&COUNTRY=&METRO_AREA=33.78715899%2C-84.39164034&TRAVEL=0&SORTSPEC=0&FRMT=0&DAYSBACK=30&NUM_PER_PAGE=30&N=0&EXPANDED_NE=&FREE_TEXT=network%2B+or+net%2B&Ntx=mode+matchboolean

So Shadow I agree with you, even though I doubt I will sit the exam, I will review Server+ material.
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    thomas130 wrote: »
    I would say doing all your ccna would go over all the information you learn in Network+ and beyond.

True. CCNA material is much more deeper than Network+, but reading a few TCP/IP and network security books beforehand would help me out quite a bit.
    I don't see the point in going over A+ and server + there not really valued.

At this point in my career, the A+ and Server+ certs are not valued, but that does not mean the information is worthless. Taking a few weeks to go through A+, Net+, Proj+, Serv+, and Sec+ material hasn't killed anybody. Besides, it won't be strictly CompTIA approved resources -- most of the time, they explain the 'what' but not the 'why'. I want to know how to configure LDAP instead of giving a textbook definition about it. I want to learn how to setup Kerberos and authenticate to it. I want to perform complete penetration tests on my lab network and thereby make it stronger using a NIDS or HIDS. I want to be able to write effective and concise disaster-recovery and acceptable use policies.

So you see, little projects like those are just some of the things I want to experiment with before jumping back into the cert game. I haven't even mentioned what projects I have lined up for Java, VMware, and Microsoft :D
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
  • Options
    Sunshine_54Sunshine_54 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Taking a long break and then I'm going to try my hand at the VCDX.
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    oopsss I want that ASA firewall...
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    I'm a router so my plan is either to go and jump right into CCNP, or take my time and establish a good fundamentals 1st through work.

CCNA: Security
    CCDA
    CCNA:Voice
    CCNP

This is what I am targetting for the year 2010, I am in the process of trying to obtain a L3 switches and an ASA firewall, I am sure I will come short with this list, but if I get the OOMPH like KINAMYD does it will not hurt to debate with CCSP/CISSP track.

My other plan is to get a new job working as a full capacity network engineer by 3rd or 4th quarter, or earlier depends if the opportunity is there.

We'll see...
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will be more than happy to finish my Bsc Hons degree and continue on the CCNP track. hopefully get them done as the degree takes up most time.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    For those of you planning on pursuing the CCNP track, keep your eyes peeled for the supposed changes that are around the corner. It may not affect anyone during 2010, but no one wants to be blind-sided because they didn't catch some important news. As far as I am aware Cisco has still not yet made an official statement.
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    i'm optimistic for 2010. I'll be turning 31 and hopefully I will get a job in IT. Certification goals: CCNP.

I think i'll seat the BSCI next week, and im currently unemployed, although I got a call and an offer for a project management role in my current career, civil engineering. I think I should take it because money is not abundant around here. Secondary goals:

-MCITP: SA (Alredy read and study Active Directory books and Testout, and fractions of the network infrastructure book).

-CCIP

-CCDA

-CCDP.

-Some linux.

Most of what I end up doing will depend mostly on the job requirements, but it wiill have to be cisco related.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Last year on certs for me. Diminishing currency. They opened doors for me but today it doesn't makes sense to invest so much time in them when there is so much work to do on good rates. Would much rather spend the time doing own research for projects handed to me at work and hang out more with my family. CCIE by end of 2010 or Im packing it in.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Same here, except I need the 70-680 (hopefully taking it this week, I've postponed several times already due to work schedule icon_sad.gif). Also I need to learn SCCM, so I might do the 70-401. If I don't pass the 70-686, I might retake it at some point.

VMware - VCP. This is my top priority for the beginning of 2010. I don't have much experience with VMware, so I will learn it while preparing for the VCP. I'm going to dedicate 3 months to this.
    Red Hat - RHCE. I passed Linux+ in 2005, and have been using and working with Linux for years, so I want to take my knowledge to the next level and get the most prestigious Linux cert. I think 3 months will be sufficient, and I'm hoping my employer will pay for the RH300 course which includes the exam (the exam is $800 now!!!).
    Citrix - CCA (various). VDI is exploding in popularity, so I'd like a cert to support my experience with XenDesktop. I might take additional CCA exams (Provisioning Server, XenServer), but no definite plans yet. I have minimal XenApp experience, so going for the CCEE would be difficult. One month per exam should be enough since I have experience with the products.

This is what I am fairly certain of doing. Other than these, I'd like to continue learning Cisco at some point... I passed the CCNA in January, and I want to continue toward the CCNP in late 2010 and into 2011. It's mainly for my own interest, so I might have to skip it for other certs (trying to get the CCEE, for example) more relevant to my career.
    So I passed 680 (finished EA) and 686 (finished EDA7), and started on 401, but the virtualization betas changed my focus... I'm taking 659 today and 693 in a couple weeks.

Anyway, now that I'm done with MCITP: EA, I'm considering MCSE 2003. I'm still going for the VCP first, but I could postpone the RHCE and do the MCSE first. Is this worthwhile, pointless, or just crazy considering I have the EA?
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    HugbearHugbear Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First off I have never seen a more certified bunch of guys.... Congrads to you all...

2009 Certs (done):

MCITP Server
    MCITP EA
    VMware VCP4

My Certs (Planned) for next year:
    ITIL (Foundation)- Feb
    CISSP - June
    Prince 2 - Sept

Somewhere in between do a Certified Architect, we will see...

Any thoughts on that? Hope to maybe migrate to Auz in a couple of years... What's the demand like over there?

Hopefully I will still have a wife at the end of it......
    If at first you don't succeed, try and try google.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Revising my plans as I've gotten everything sorted out to start on my Master's degree which will include study towards some certifications as part of the curriculum.

CCNA - This is one I've been casually working towards for a long time and keep getting side-tracked. I'm going to finally crank this one out.

CCNA: Security - One that would fit my career goals and a step towards starting down the CCSP path at some point (probably late in the year or next year).

CWSP - PW0-200 is required as part of the curriculum for my Master's program, might as well knock out PW0-104 on my own time to earn the CWSP.

GIAC ISO-17799 - Another part of the Master's program.

CEH - Master's requirement as well.

CHFI - Master's requirement, although it may or may not be fit into 2010 depending on how things work out through the year.

Other than the cert's, I am going to work hard to try and make a move into an organization where there is room for more growth. Where I'm at now we run things quite poor and I've been battling for a couple years trying to get change implemented with no success, and I've essentially hit the plateau for career growth so it's time to move on.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm having a hard time deciding in what order I'm going to do them, but these are the plans for the next year. Trying to ramp up my studies as I'll be in the job market again in 18 months..

-Finish CCNP (taking the last test, ONT, Jan 5th)

-CEH

-CCNA: Security

-QoS exam (for CCIP)

-CCDA

-CCDP

-CCIE R&S written (late late next year...maybe...)

Got some ambitious goals, basically trying to just continually study and hammer out the certs..
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My plans for 2010 would be

CompTia Sec + - Having been studying on & off for months and months

Getting my MCSA done - couple of exams left (icon_spiderman.gif - the beast needs to be slayed )

ITIL ( Foundation )

Windows 7 - 680

hopefully my MCSE

Well want to set up a lab and get some hands on Exp on Ubuntu

Well we will see how it goes

All the best everybodyicon_study.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hugbear wrote: »
    Hopefully I will still have a wife at the end of it......

If your avatar is a picture of the Mrs. I would advise scaling back on the certs for a while.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO