Options

2010 Certification Plans

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Certification goals for 2010:

EMC Proven Professional Associate
    MCITP for Exchange 2010

May start going for a Master's degree in business, not sure yet...
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155

VCP 4.0 vSphere
    70-646 Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator

Possibilities:

General more learning but not certifications but additional reading and testing and learning:

Exchange 2k7
    vSphere

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    bugsybugsy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□

ITIL Foundation
    MCITP: Server Administrator
    CCDA
    CCNP

Might do CCIP instead of MCITP:SA, but it depends on what my tasks will be at work this year. Not quite sure about that yet. Hopefully more networking... :)
  • Options
    al3ph.oneal3ph.one Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oscp

cisa

crest
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    MCSA 2003
    MCSE 2003 (Maybe Messaging too)
    Security+
    Linux+

I think work will pay for it all too!
  • Options
    cory011202cory011202 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have so far have completed my A+ and Net+ and I will be taking my Security + this Friday. How did you all prepare for your exams?
    I chose to use CED Solutions based in Atlanta.
    So far I have scored a 875 on the 220-701 test and a 835 on the 220-702 test and the Net+ test I got a 834.
    I thought about self studying for this but after attending the CED Boot camp I would suggest that when training funds are available that you look at them as a test preparation tool. They put me up in a hotel covered travel expenses provided breakfast and lunch and they were still cheaper than all other options. I am currently looking to return to take some of their Microsoft exams as well. Any pointers on preparing for the Microsoft exams? Should I push for the Server 2008 training or go for the Server 2003 based training?
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My goals for 2009:

Was to complete the MSCE 2003 track...I thought I could do it but I only got MCSA 2003

I acquired my A+...I always wanted to get this but never got around to it so I finally did.

Goals for 2010:

Get a new job...first and foremost.

Finally attain MCSE 2003, I dont know what to go for after that. Exchange or Security...which holds more value?

Do some MS 2009 exams (dont know how far I will get into that for 2010). I dont know which direction to go in that either
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I would like to get:

MCTS: Windows 7 (only because I need a client for EA in the future, and we are switching to 7 soon enterprise level)
    MCTS: AD 2008
    MCTS: Network Infra 2008
    MCITP:SA

Then find a new job /maybe get Sec+ before end of the year so it won't expire.

and hopefully then knock out the last 2 for the EA, and if not, finish those up at the beginning of next year.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    phobophilephobophile Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm looking to rack up a few certifications this year. I probably won't knock off as many as alot of you, but I tend to over study (not that there is anything wrong with that, the more I know, the better icon_cool.gif).

Currently studying for MCDST, almost done with 70-271.

In order (roughly)

MCDST >> MCITP:EST7 (when 70-682 becomes available)
    CCENT
    Security+ (need to get this before the end of the year..)

If I have more time, I'll start with ICND2, but probably wont complete by the end of the year.

For 2011, I'll probably focus heavily on security and MCITP:SA/EA.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    MCSA: Finishing on 3/6
    MCSE
    MCITP:EA
    VCP - Possibly

Perhaps ITIL Foundation and working towards my Bachelor's in Network Design and Management. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Hmmm for me ( I just finalized this a couple of days ago, thanks, unixguy)

Linux+
    Security+
    SCSAS/SCSA (we use a lot of solaris at work)
    SCSP (storage)
    If possible: (Start) CCNP and/or Server+
    Oh how things change. My new plan is Linux+, Security+, CCNA:Voice and Wireless, Route, maybe ITIL or CCDA (probably both if I have the time/money) and starting Switch. I hope to have the CCNP done early 2011 and I want to start the SP and complete SSCP next year so I also want to build a firm foundation in Security.
  • Options
    bar182bar182 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mcitp:ea
    mcsa
    vcp
    MCP | MCTS:Vista| CCA:XenApp5|
    WIP > 70-291 for MCSA
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    VCP-410 2/26/2010
    70-647 3/13/2010
    BS IT 3/31/2010 (i know this thread is for Certs but figured i would add it)
    SCCP 4/17/2010 hopefully
    Start masters ~9/2010
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My goals this year:

CCNA: Wireless (about 75%)
    CWSP recert
    CCDP

Otherwise, just trying to keep out of the line of fire with budget cuts.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • Options
    ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
    For me I would be really happy if I got my MCSE 2003 by the end of the year.

My ultimate goal is to have my license plate say:

MCSECCIE

Of course I find myself wondering about a PHd and Project Management too.

~Obdurate~
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    -Finish CCNP (taking the last test, ONT, Jan 5th)
    -CEH
    -CCNA: Security
    -QoS exam (for CCIP)
    -CCDA
    -CCDP
    -CCIE R&S written (late late next year...maybe...)

Finished the CCNP..got the CCDA...going straight to the CCIE written, not touching the others. Since I'll be in the job market right after my first attempt, it really is "CCIE or bust", because if I don't pass, I'll be a CCDA/CCNP, but if I pass, obviously it will pay.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well I had some goals set for 2009 and not one of them actually happened. The only cert I got last year was Server+ 2009 because it was free and I figured I would take it because of that. All Cisco studies halted completely (because I got married) and have not resumed and they won't for some time. I have been studying for the Security+ every now and then but who knows when I will actually take it. My direction in certs\study has changed. I wanted to be a net admin awhile back but now all I can think about is security. So here is what I want to do in 2010. Will it happen who knows.

Sec+
    SSCP
    GSEC
    finish MCSA
    and maybe if I get off my butt I will do more. The wife keeps saying she wants to buy a house so I guess I need to make more money.
  • Options
    JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I have a lot to do this year. Primarily because I got a nice kick in the ass to do so.

This year: A+ ---> Network + ----> Security + ----> CCNA

I think mid-range after that I would like to start working on my MCSA
    Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Man I planned to have 5x certs by April. 2x months gone and I've only passed CCENT.

I've now been thrust into a contract where I need to immediately know all about Exchange 2007, Blackberry Server, CRM4 and Sharepoint. So much for planning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2010 Certification Plans:

Sec+ (Scheduling for Next Week)
    MCSA
    CCDA
    CCNP (Potentially by the end of the year)
  • Options
    zippie666zippie666 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks like I'm the biggest noob around here, because I'll be going for my very first cert and it's going to be MCTS: Configuring Windows 7 icon_lol.gif

It actually started because of interest, I'm still studying for a professional bachelor applied computer sciences but since I only have 14 hours of class each week I'm trying to get myself to study for that exam. I tend to postpone a lot, but I have a deadline because in June the free second shot and 52% discount for students will wear off, so I'll do it as quickly as possible.

After that, I have no clue yet icon_redface.gif
    Current cert:
    MCSA: Windows 7, 8 & Server 2008
    EXIN ITIL v3 Foundation
    EXIN ISO 27002 Foundations
    CIW Web Professional
  • Options
    ScriptMasterScriptMaster Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    2010 Certification Plans:

VCP
    70-284
    MCSE upgrade exam to 2008
    70-431
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    My certification plans were blown out of the water, I wanted to take things easy with just finishing my GCIA and it turns out I'm making it harder for myself:

I'm still on track to finish my GCIA by May.
    I'm also going to SANS SEC505: Securing Windows training and will have the associated GCWN cert by July.
    I am also eventually going to be doing Offensive Securities - OWSP.
    And last but not least, I've been planning the GSEC, which may be moved next year...
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am also eventually going to be doing Offensive Securities - OWSP.

It's almost entirely WEP cracking. While it's interesting, it's really not that applicable anymore. I don't think I'm even going to bother with the certification exam. Go the GIAC route if you want a serious wireless pen testing cert. CWSP is decent too, but it's more from an architecture approach, rather than pen testing. It seemed like half the exam was knowing the various EAP implementations.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    It's almost entirely WEP cracking. While it's interesting, it's really not that applicable anymore. I don't think I'm even going to bother with the certification exam. Go the GIAC route if you want a serious wireless pen testing cert. CWSP is decent too, but it's more from an architecture approach, rather than pen testing. It seemed like half the exam was knowing the various EAP implementations.

Glad you mentioned that since I eventually want to take the CWSP, and was considering the OWSP in the future. Are Offensive Security's certifications lifetime?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Glad you mentioned that since I eventually want to take the CWSP, and was considering the OWSP in the future. Are Offensive Security's certifications lifetime?

I haven't seen anything that says they aren't.

This is the syllabus: http://www.offensive-security.com/documentation/wifu-syllabus.pdf

6.7 on the very last page is all that they do with WPA. It seemed a bit misleading to advertise it as a course that deals with WEP and WPA cracking. I guess it's my fault for not researching it more before I purchased it. They actually do a really good job covering 802.11, but I was already a CWNA, so that was just review for me. I wouldn't have purchased the course for the WEP cracking alone. I'd get Hacking Exposed: Wireless, or as I previously stated, go for the GWAN.
  • Options
    Paule123Paule123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    2010 is the year I fanially get round to doing something productive!!

Feb 2010 - ISO 27001 Lead Auditor - Passed
    April 2010 - TOGAF 9 Foundation
    May 2010 - CCENT
    July 2010 - Data Protection Certification
    December 2010 - CISSP (maybe....)

Bit of a mixed bag really, only real concern is finding the time to study for CISSP
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MCITP: ES is set for the 19th of this month. I will be doing my MCITP: SA then EA other tahn that none.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »

OWSP, sorry. That is the WiFu class. I'll probably be taking one of the other classes, maybe Pentesting with Backtrack. I'm still undecided.

I probably all ready picked up most of the skillz with my GCIH and CEH.. but, it's free. I figured I may be able to work on my Linux-fu. I'm not going to complain. :)
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    Paule123 wrote: »
    2010 is the year I fanially get round to doing something productive!!

Feb 2010 - ISO 27001 Lead Auditor - Passed
    April 2010 - TOGAF 9 Foundation
    May 2010 - CCENT
    July 2010 - Data Protection Certification
    December 2010 - CISSP (maybe....)

Bit of a mixed bag really, only real concern is finding the time to study for CISSP

5 months is decent for preparing for the CISSP. More time would be required if you actually want to have a life while you study.
    -un