Options

Prepaid data enabled SIM in the US

RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
Hey,

I’m heading off to the States for 2 Months in a few weeks and I was hoping to get some advise on which mobile Telco I should so with while I’m there.. First time in the US.

Roaming charges from New Zealand are just insane so I’m hoping I can get some sort of prepaid T3G connection for my blackberry. Would love to be able to pull down a few emails or at least get Google Maps while I’m there..Think I will need it!

I know a lot of people on here are from the states so hoping someone may know of a good deal :) Cheaper the better! Spending NZD in the US is a sure way to lose all your $$ very fast icon_sad.gif

Appreciate any assistance :) Looking forward to exploring that side of the world!

Cheers,
Rev.

Comments

• Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    If you're going to be in urbanized areas, then T-Mobile may be your best bet. When I was with them, I had a $5/month (T-Zones) add-on that added unlimited tethering to my account. This wasn't an official feature, but I never had an issue with it. T-Mobile also has great service. Their only issue is that their coverage outside of urban areas is lacking.

In more rural locations, Verizon seems to offer the best coverage area, but they're also among the most expensive providers, and aren't GSM. Your best bet on Verizon's network may be to get a cheap prepaid phone, and activate it with Page Plus, which is a Verizon reseller. I'm using them right now, and see my balance track my phone usage, but am yet to see them deduct anything for data usage.

ATT is a middle ground. They're GSM, and are going to generally have better coverage than T-Mobile, but will cost more than T-Mobile.

Btw, I'm assuming that New Zealand's cell services are GSM based?
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah all GSM here.

I was looking at Boost Mobile (Boost Mobile Monthly Unlimited and Unlimited Mobile Prepaid Plans)
    just to get the full deal for data services and calling but definitely will look into T-Mobile as it looks a lot cheaper!

Thanks for your help, Always good to hear others opinions.

Cheers,
    Rev
  • Options
    hmm Cant seem to find any $5/Month plans.

Most are $1\day with unlimited wireless web (Im asuming this means internet, Facebook, Gmail, Google maps etc) which is reasonable for what im doing :)
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    I just checked, and it looks like T-Mobile's prepaid route is $1/month to get a line activated with T-Zones. That's a good bit more than I paid, but I guess being under contract helped:

T-Mobile

IIRC, Boost uses Sprint's network, which is CDMA, so you'd have the same problem with them as you would with Verizon's network.

This link should help you narrow down your options:

List of United States wireless communications service providers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    UnixGeek wrote: »
    I just checked, and it looks like T-Mobile's prepaid route is $1/month to get a line activated with T-Zones. That's a good bit more than I paid, but I guess being under contract helped:

T-Mobile

IIRC, Boost uses Sprint's network, which is CDMA, so you'd have the same problem with them as you would with Verizon's network.

This link should help you narrow down your options:

List of United States wireless communications service providers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Awesome, Thanks for that. T-Mobile looks like the way to go.

Boost wont let me take any other phone on their network.

Cheers!