Options

Studying for CCSA R70?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Ive started a new job and we have a ton of checkpoint and Juniper SSG firewalls. so i thought it would be good to get certed up and learn about them, so i have Just a few questions about studying for this exam from the research ive gathered.

Right i take it i can use a vmware splat image of the trial version of R70? which is great news for me as i wont have to fork out for extra equipment around the flat. Besides, i have plenty of cisco gear for that! Do you need any additional hardware to enable this to work? any extra physical nic's for example?

Secondly, how hard is the CCSA R70? or previous versions for that matter.

thirdly, study materials. When are there any books being released for the R70? would CP documentation be enough? ive looked at purchasing the course material from CP but the material is $600!!! way out of my budget at the moment.

lastly, from what i gathered the cert expires when the product does, similar to MS certs. is that correct? or do you have to recert every 3 years or something?

As always, thanks for the help in advance guys.
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nel wrote: »
    Hi,

Ive started a new job and we have a ton of checkpoint and Juniper SSG firewalls. so i thought it would be good to get certed up and learn about them, so i have Just a few questions about studying for this exam from the research ive gathered.

Right i take it i can use a vmware splat image of the trial version of R70? which is great news for me as i wont have to fork out for extra equipment around the flat. Besides, i have plenty of cisco gear for that! Do you need any additional hardware to enable this to work? any extra physical nic's for example?

Secondly, how hard is the CCSA R70? or previous versions for that matter.

thirdly, study materials. When are there any books being released for the R70? would CP documentation be enough? ive looked at purchasing the course material from CP but the material is $600!!! way out of my budget at the moment.

lastly, from what i gathered the cert expires when the product does, similar to MS certs. is that correct? or do you have to recert every 3 years or something?

As always, thanks for the help in advance guys.

Best way to pass CP exams is to get the course book. Everything you need to know to pass the test is covered in class. Other than that PDFs on the website and as much hands on as you can get really.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Turg,

Thanks for the response.

Damn, the course books are a little over priced for me and cant see me being able to afford them for the next several months. Guess theres no harm in reading documentation and VMware until i get them i guess.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Its my understanding that the course materials for R70 wont even be available for at least a few more months. See my thread on my impressions on the R70 vs R65 exams.

As much as I recommend the coursebooks, there are 3rd party vendors (sybex?) that have materials at a much more reasonable cost. Also, R65 (and R70) trials are free to install and are fully functioning. In fact, they are free forever as long as you dont reboot/install a policy! lol
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    Its my understanding that the course materials for R70 wont even be available for at least a few more months. See my thread on my impressions on the R70 vs R65 exams.

As much as I recommend the coursebooks, there are 3rd party vendors (sybex?) that have materials at a much more reasonable cost. Also, R65 (and R70) trials are free to install and are fully functioning. In fact, they are free forever as long as you dont reboot/install a policy! lol

I think you will need a referal from a CP reseller to get an R65 evaluation licence. At least that's what I did. Also R65 isn't available for download for evaluation on the CP site anymore, you get redirected to the R70 eval ISO download. Try ebay for an R65 media kit!