Options

Question

LeuryLeury Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone I am curently going to college going for a Degree in Network Administrator. I want to get the network+ certification but I'm only 19 so I was wondering if you guys though it was possible for me to get it at my age? I bought 2 books about the exam and taking a networking course in college at the moment. Just wanted to hear on your opinions to see if you guys think it would be possible for me to aquire this certification.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sure you can get it at your age. Its not a beer icon_wink.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Leury wrote: »
    Hello everyone I am curently going to college going for a Degree in Network Administrator. I want to get the network+ certification but I'm only 19 so I was wondering if you guys though it was possible for me to get it at my age? I bought 2 books about the exam and taking a networking course in college at the moment. Just wanted to hear on your opinions to see if you guys think it would be possible for me to aquire this certification.

There is absolutely zero reason you couldn't get it. I would suggest you go after the CCNA instead though. Network+ is really not that respected, and the Cisco CCNA would teach much more advanced knowledge.

Welcome to TE!
  • Options
    Thanks guys wanted to make sure. :) Well I want to get the network+so i can get a entry level job then I plan on going for higher certs. One last question how hard is the CCNA ? I'm really determined to get couple certs even though I'm sure I'm younger than most people that go for these certifications.
  • Options
    Thanks guys wanted to make sure. :) Well I want to get the network+so i can get a entry level job then I plan on going for higher certs. One last question how hard is the CCNA ? I'm really determined to get couple certs even though I'm sure I'm younger than most people that go for these certifications.

Being younger gives you an advantage. Get the certifications and the experience. The CCNA will be a challenge. I am starting out on that trek right now. You can go the two part route CCENT --> CCNA. Once again, the Network+ has little value except for the educational value you might get. If you are going to college for Network Administration than it will add little value to your knowledge. Spend money on what will benefit you.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well I want to get the network+so i can get a entry level job then I plan on going for higher certs.

I think the CCNA is generally regarded as entry level. There are much higher Cisco certs that you could pursue after you get some experience. I also see more entry level jobs asking for a CCNA than a N+.

Since you are starting out in the field, you may want to try and get a Help Desk job. That will give you exposure to a variety of roles and may help you decide if you will enjoy networking, as opposed to other IT jobs.

Whatever you do, make sure you have fun doing it.
  • Options
    rsutton wrote: »
    I think the CCNA is generally regarded as entry level. There are much higher Cisco certs that you could pursue after you get some experience. I also see more entry level jobs asking for a CCNA than a N+.

Since you are starting out in the field, you may want to try and get a Help Desk job. That will give you exposure to a variety of roles and may help you decide if you will enjoy networking, as opposed to other IT jobs.

Whatever you do, make sure you have fun doing it.

That is good advice. I got a desktop support / help desk job while still in college. This greatly benefited my job opportunities after graduation. Do pursue a job in IT while in college even if it is part time.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That is good advice. I got a desktop support / help desk job while still in college. This greatly benefited my job opportunities after graduation. Do pursue a job in IT while in college even if it is part time.

+1 while in college if money is not an issue working in IT while in college is a great idea. not that IT part time jobs pay crap but you have way more options available to you for entry level.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Just need to find a desktop support / help desk job. One last thing guys my professor told me I should take his other course he teaches which will lead me to getting security+ is it the same deal with this one as network+? For example should I even bother with it to gain experience from it or no?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The security+ has been said to be slightly harder than the network+. Security+ is just what it says it is, security. Since your degree is in Network Administration, you are better off doing the network+ or the CCNA. I'd say do the CCNA, the network+ has little value. Also, the CCNA would jump out of a resume much more than a network+.

On a quick side-note, we have a member on TechExams, gobind, who has done his CCIE at age 21. He was a CCNP at age 19. How's that for a little bit of motivation?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    The security+ has been said to be slightly harder than the network+. Security+ is just what it says it is, security. Since your degree is in Network Administration, you are better off doing the network+ or the CCNA. I'd say do the CCNA, the network+ has little value. Also, the CCNA would jump out of a resume much more than a network+.

On a quick side-note, we have a member on TechExams, gobind, who has done his CCIE at age 21. He was a CCNP at age 19. How's that for a little bit of motivation?

Hearing what each one of you has to say has motivated me greatly especially since each one of you speak from experience and have these certifications. Thanks for all your help guys it really has helped me out a lot and I appreciate it for boosting my confidence and motivating me even more. icon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151

Definitely. I was 16 when I got the Network+ and A+, picked up some vendor specific certs after that, then sysadmined my way through college. I'm feeling like a slacker after hearing about gobind. icon_surprised.gif