Options

Windows File Protection Error

Computer_Wizz_PizzaguyComputer_Wizz_Pizzaguy Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all. I am running an Intel board, P4 2.4, 512MB 266Mhz DDR, GeForce4 420 64MB, Western Digital 120 GB. I have repeatedly installed a clean version of XP(don't know the build). With nothing else installed, within a few boots, I receive a File Protection error, asking for the install CD. ON A CLEAN INSTALL! Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm goin friggin nuts.

Comments

• Options
    sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    this happens when system files are being corrupt.

this can occur if you are installing software that changes the system files or its entirely possible you have installed malicious software either by your own doing or via network connection. Do you run firewall/antivirus?

otherwise my only other guess would be bad memory. bad memory can corrupt and show up in many different ways. never buy no name or generic memory, stick with the big boys such as Kingston, Crucial, etc. check the 'net for a free memory tester, download and run it.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with Sab. If you are doing a clean install of Windows and get this error I would check the memory. Here is the one I typically use:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Good luck.
  • Options
    I also must agree with both of you on the memory idea. I have tested everything else, as far as replacing parts. Board, can't be, would be majorly crashing, CPU, same as board. I have replaced my HDD with an older slower one, same results, ran in safe mode, same results. However, RAM is not cheap enough as to allow me to mess around with that concept. I just dl'ed the mem test. We'll see how it goes. As for if I run a firewall/antivirus. I did nothing after the install except for install my modem to dial out. Even without installing the modem, it did the file error. I haven't had a chance to install Norton again yet. I run the ICF icon_rolleyes.gif i know, it's a joke, but i then also use mcafee's firewall when I have the time to set it up. I just did an upgrade (re)installation...good so far, so maybe it was a glitch...but I can't shake the nagging feeling that it's the ram. well, 45 minutes no problems yet. Well, thanks for the advice, i'll let you know what works in a few days.
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    you're not overclocked are you?
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    That's a negative.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you get the machine to boot up at all?

A couple times I have seen a system with XP have corrupt motherboard drivers installed. Running system file checker might help sort that if it is your issue.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Yes, assuming all things good, it will boot. However, after last night, it will not get past the logon. It boots up until you must click on your username, it then gave me a logon crash window, you know with the send report/don't send.... I have pondered the possibility of a bad board though. If need be, I can look up the board specs, if anyone has further knowledge of that.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    try to use command line : sfc /? - the help is there - looks like you set the file signature checks every time you reboot.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    OK. I ran sfc /scanboot. and now the damn thing freezes up the machine upon login. What is the flag file that it sets to go off so i can disable the darn thing. All it does it float, never finishes, and it's owned by the sys so I can't kill it. Course. I might just upgrade to Pro :).

Speaking of which. Professionally, I know that it's better to do clean upgrades, but I have 30 gigs of files, mostly music, that I dont' want to take the time to burn to DVD. Open question : Would simply doing an upgrade install leave me with more or less problems?

Thanks all...

G
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Do you have a 2nd hard drive you can move the music to? Like you said, a clean install is better.

You mention you don't know which build you are installing... leads me to believe this is a version available through... um... non-standard means? If this is the case then there is no telling what you are up against.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    Evening. It's a lil late. Oh well. I am putting this problem on the back burner as I have a few school projects due this week. To answer your question, I don't have a large enough extra HDD, I AM lucky enough to have a DVD burner ;) So I am just going to back up my files this week and migrate to XP Pro. Like I should have 2 months ago.

By the by. Through all this wiping/reinstallation of XP Home. I seem to have used up all my activation times. If i call and whine a lil, will they reset that? Or am I just outta luck on that?
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Legit licence and they will give you a new activation number. Sometimes it takes a little explaining that you have been suffering hardware failure or whatever.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK. I ran sfc /scanboot. and now the damn thing freezes up the machine upon login. What is the flag file that it sets to go off so i can disable the darn thing. All it does it float, never finishes, and it's owned by the sys so I can't kill it. Course.

sfc /scanonce... so it back to default. :D or you may sfc /cancel.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    TY all, i loaded into safemode to disable the sfc check. As for the file protection error. I am in the process of backing up all my data to DVD....It's only done the error once in a few days, so I s'pose that an improvement.

I am giving up with trying to contact M$ for a new activation key. I am just going to install my copy of XP Pro icon_eek.gif

:D Bush is currently winning :D

Nadar finally got 1% :))

I'll update you all in a few days when i get everything backed up and Pro installed, as to whether the error still happens.

Peace