Options

3Com Certifications

rhauser44rhauser44 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
It was just announced yesterday that HP will acquire 3Com.

Checking 3Com's website, they do apparently have networking products other than NIC's. And certifications to support those products. But I never recall hearing of any shop that has 3Com networking (routers, switches, etc)

Is 3Com really that big a player in networking infrastructure? Wondering if a 3Com certification would be of value. BTW I'm a new HP employee myself, via recent acquisition.

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Maybe not anymore, but there was a time when they were THE player. The company was founded by Bob Metcalf - the man who invented ethernet. They also sold an early network operating system co-developed with Microsoft call LAN Manager. There is still code in the Windows OS that comes from that product, such as the various NTLM authentication methods.

At the last place I worked they used 3Com hubs (yes - hubs) and unmanaged switches until we replaced everything with nice Cisco multilayer switches a few years ago. I haven't seen much of their gear recently, but I remember a time when it seemed like every server or workstation had a 3Com 3C905b NIC and an Adaptec 2950 SCSI controller.
  • Options
    rhauser44rhauser44 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Maybe not anymore, but there was a time when they were THE player. The company was founded by Bob Metcalf - the man who invented ethernet. They also sold an early network operating system co-developed with Microsoft call LAN Manager. There is still code in the Windows OS that comes from that product, such as the various NTLM authentication methods.

At the last place I worked they used 3Com hubs (yes - hubs) and unmanaged switches until we replaced everything with nice Cisco multilayer switches a few years ago. I haven't seen much of their gear recently, but I remember a time when it seemed like every server or workstation had a 3Com 3C905b NIC and an Adaptec 2950 SCSI controller.

Your comments echo what an "old-timer" just related. Once upon a time 3Com was a big player. I guess, it will be interesting to see how HP uses this new aquisition.