Options

CCNA query

dhananjay.deoredhananjay.deore Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there,
I m a first year b.sc(computer science) student.I m thinking about taking the CCNA course. I m a bit confused andwould like to know whether it would be useful for me.I would also like to know about the job prospects this course would offer after i complete my graduation.
Thank you for your kind help and support!!!!:)

Comments

• Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    Of course its worth it. That said, will it get you a job? NO. It may get you interviews but its up to you to sell yourself.

During interviews you will be asked many technical questions. You may have the cert but if you cant answer most of those questions...
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    If I had my Bsc time over, I would have paid a lot more attention to the networking lecturer rather than falling asleep due to his slow and monotone voice and the fact he was just reading the printed course notes we could follow on our own anyway.

If you are doing a degree in CS, a good working knowledge of how networks work (CCNA) will fundamentally underpin all other subjects and many future jobs you may wish to persue.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Kaminsky and the cosmonaut are both right. The CCNA may open the doors but you need to show yourself in the interview. Learn the stuff in a CCNA (lots of good stuff) and combine this with the other things you will learn in college and you will eventually get there. You should focus on learning the material so that after you pass the test you retain it better

Go Everton!!!!!! icon_cheers.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Taking the CCNA course now (and earning the Certification) would be something that differentiates you from all the other graduates in a few years when you compete for jobs.

But don't forget that it's something that has to be re-certified every 3 years. If you get it now, then a better plan might be to use it to get an internship/summer job/part-time job to start gaining industry experience (and to keep your skills up to make it easier to re-certify).

Real Life job experience, certification, and your new degree could put you at the top of the "interview pile" when you graduate -- and your work experience would hopefully "seal the deal."
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dhananjay.deoredhananjay.deore Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Taking the CCNA course now (and earning the Certification) would be something that differentiates you from all the other graduates in a few years when you compete for jobs.

But don't forget that it's something that has to be re-certified every 3 years. If you get it now, then a better plan might be to use it to get an internship/summer job/part-time job to start gaining industry experience (and to keep your skills up to make it easier to re-certify).

Real Life job experience, certification, and your new degree could put you at the top of the "interview pile" when you graduate -- and your work experience would hopefully "seal the deal."

Thanks for all ur help and advice.Really appreciate it!!!!!!!icon_surprised.gif