Options

Getting My R&S Lab Together

carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
OK, here goes. I am trying to gather info to see what kind of equipment I need to set up a good home lab. I saw that the new R&S lab will have 1841, 3825, and 3560's in it. Work should supply most of this stuff, but I need to know how many of each, what additional equipment I might need ...etc etc. Frame Relay? ATM?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you intend to use the practice labs available from one of the vendors I would create a lab that uses their setup.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    dtlokee wrote: »
    If you intend to use the practice labs available from one of the vendors I would create a lab that uses their setup.

For shizzle.

Most vendors will actually give you a device by device example of what to use.

Also just because the lab might use 3825s, doesn't mean a 2800 or even 2600xm won't do everything the 3800 would based on the lab blueprint (i haven't looked at the new one)
  • Options
    Cool. I have been in a class this whole week training on riverbed accelerators. There was a true geek sitting behind me. Come to find out, about an hour before class ended today I found out he was a triple CCIE. Whadayaknow. He has offered to help me set up a dynamips lab with 3550's that can be accessed from wherever I happen to be. Really cool. So, even though I may be able to have the big hardware set up, I think I will try this out first and see what becomes of it.

Yes, I will post on the forum what he is having me do and tell all of you how well it works. It won't happen today though so be patient. From what he is telling me, it will be a bit different from what I have saw on this subject so far.

My plan is to study at home/work until I feel confident enough to go to INE for their 2.0 course.

One caveat, I do not want to use ****. **** don't teach anything.

Stay tuned.......
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    carterw65 wrote:
    One caveat, I do not want to use ****. **** don't teach anything.

Why would that be a caveat? It's an established fact and rule to live by.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Keep us posted on the progress and goopd luck! Sounds like you will fit in nicely on these forums if you don't plan on taking the easy way out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Well today I scored two 3550's from work. I found out we had more than a dozen laying around collecting dust. They also had a small rack that will work nicely.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    carterw65 wrote: »
    Well today I scored two 3550's from work. I found out we had more than a dozen laying around collecting dust. They also had a small rack that will work nicely.

Nice that you can take it home. We have all types of stuff in the building where I work, but it has to stay in the building. You can use it as you wish, but it doesn't leave and they won't allow remote access.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    you got any extra 3550's, i am looking to score some myself. I can help you setup a kick ass dynamips/gns3 server for your CCIE prep :] I got mine done about a week ago and it rocks. anyway, yeah. good luck with building your lab. If you need any help let me know. I'll help you out if you want to go the GNS3/Dynamips path towards your CCIE.
  • Options
    I do have access to a bunch of 3550's that I can use at home, but they are accounted for and I can't keep or sell them. I also scored a Pix 525 and a 3620 and a bunch of 2950's. I figure I can set up a CCNA Lab for folks at work with those.

I have a question maybe someone out there can answer. INE is using Catalyst 3560-24TS-E for their equipment. I found out I have the TS-S at work. Does anyone know the difference? I also found one 3750 POE.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□

I have a question maybe someone out there can answer. INE is using Catalyst 3560-24TS-E for their equipment. I found out I have the TS-S at work. Does anyone know the difference? I also found one 3750 POE.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Just the IOS - EMI vs SMI. You'll probably want the full EMI feature set - the IOS can be upgraded.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    Well I haven't been on here lately, but here is an update. I got 2 3550's, 1 3560, and 1 3750 from work. Also got a PIX 525 too. I am working with Dell to get a quad core computer with 8GB ram and 3 quad port nics. That is the most painful part of this...getting the computer I want. I will have to figure out the dynagen stuff once I get it all together.

Went to Boson and signed up for their R&S Written bootcamp for 1 Feb 10. So that locks me into taken the written on 5 Feb. I am studying for that right now.

Went to INE and they have some hot deals on their stuff right now. Got the 2.0 self study, COD DVD's, and the 12 Day bootcamp for $6684.00. The bootcamp is usually $8K itself.

So, once the computer is put together and paid for, I should be well on my way. I want to take the Lab in Jan 11 or so. I guess I am really fortunate that I work where they will pay for most of this stuff. I couldn't do it without it.

cheers!
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    Well I haven't been on here lately, but here is an update. I got 2 3550's, 1 3560, and 1 3750 from work. Also got a PIX 525 too. I am working with Dell to get a quad core computer with 8GB ram and 3 quad port nics. That is the most painful part of this...getting the computer I want. I will have to figure out the dynagen stuff once I get it all together.

Went to Boson and signed up for their R&S Written bootcamp for 1 Feb 10. So that locks me into taken the written on 5 Feb. I am studying for that right now.

Went to INE and they have some hot deals on their stuff right now. Got the 2.0 self study, COD DVD's, and the 12 Day bootcamp for $6684.00. The bootcamp is usually $8K itself.

So, once the computer is put together and paid for, I should be well on my way. I want to take the Lab in Jan 11 or so. I guess I am really fortunate that I work where they will pay for most of this stuff. I couldn't do it without it.

cheers!

good luck with your computer build. I did mine for less than $700 with following specs:

Intel Quad 9550 (way more than enough to handle full R&S Lab)
    MSI X48C Motherboard
    4 gig DDR3 RAM
    3 Adaptec quad port nics, got them for $15 each off ebay :]
    Win XP-64 bit (some people will say linux, but for me xp is a lot easier to use and compatible with GOTOMYPC, which I use for remote access into my network)

If you want any more details about the computer build or my lab, just let me know. good luck with your studies, I plan on buying all INE workbooks in less than a month, as I am almost done with all my Narbik workbooks (which I would also recommend).
  • Options
    Well I got side tracked here with Security+. My boss wants it done. I test tomorrow on it, hope I pass. My lab computer will be here next week. My biggest focus after this test tomorrow is preparing for the R&S written 5 Feb. Been trying to study, but things keep popping up.

I have a question. Has any one used SSH to remote into there homebased lab setup with dynagen/dynamips? I am curious to know what you did. My goal is to setup the lab at home and access it over the internet. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Options
    geezer301geezer301 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi CCIEWANNABE,

I am interested in your computer setup. Did you buy parts and put them together yourself or you bought the PC from a vendor ? What source you used ? Thanks.
  • Options
    Well the Security+ mountain has been successfully negotiated. Now, where was I, oh yeah, R&S Written! Back to the books.