Options

CCNA Home Equipment

jamison1jamison1 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys!

I have a quick question about this 3640 router. Will this router help me with my CCENT/CCNA training?

Please look at the specs:

*Memory Size
*ISO

Thanks!

Link: Cisco 3640 64/16 CCNA CCNP CCVP CCIE 12.4 IOS Bonus DVD - eBay (item 170405750151 end time Nov-21-09 07:48:10 PST)

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It might work for the CCENT, but the IOS version will start to crap out on capabilities for the ICND2 exam (and beyond) -- so you'd have to upgrade the memory and track down at least an advanced IP services or greater IOS feature set (heck, if you get an Advanced Enterprise you don't have to worry about whether you support a feature or not -- other than platform limits). Plus I think the 3600s versions stop at 12.4. The CCNA:Security and some of the CCSP exams (and the CCIE R&S) would require you to have a 12.4(9)T or greater.

Plus you don't get any interfaces at all -- so you'd have to take into account that you need to by all your Ethernet/Fast Ethernet NMs and make sure you have WIC slots for WIC-1T or WIC-2T (or get an NM-4A/S) serial ports for your WAN connections.

I went with 3640s back when the 2600XMs were selling for over $500 each -- but since the prices dropped I've added a few 2651XM routers.

A 1721 (desktop router with power brick) is a good cheap ($50) solution right now for some of the "advanced features" -- and the 2600XM are more of a "long term investment" (future CCIE) purchase. While you may find some reasonable memory upgrades (and BIOs upgrades), it's usually just easier to buy Max'ed Memory routers right up front.

You can still get some life out of cheap $10-15 2501 routers -- but you'll start to hit the wall when you need to do more than basic IPv6 stuff (and you have to take into account some people are selling the Ethernet Transceivers for more than the routers icon_lol.gif).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    2651XMs are similar in price to the 3640s on ebay.

3640s has no interfaces attached as standard, not even ethernet, so you would have to buy all that on top of the 3640. They are also 2u in height which loses 1 rack space that another XM could live in.

The main issue though is the IOS.
    Kam.
  • Options
    jamison1jamison1 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys! I'll will buy

Two Cisco 2950 Switch

Two Cisco 2651XM Router /w 128MB/32MB DRAM two Serial WIC-1T
    . Brackets and Screws and power cable are included. 12.4 IOS

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!