Options

Moving files - cancelled

mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
My cousin (the idiot that he is) cancelled moving a few GB of his pictures to his USB stick and only half went on, but the other half simply dissapeared from his hard drive. I was hoping to use some data recovery software that I normally use (easy recovery) and tried a deleted format but it didn't show the files.

I was wondering, what exactly does Windows do when MOVING files and not just copying them? Does it **** them in a temp location whilst moving? I'm hoping they will still be kicking around..

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When you move a file, I'm pretty sure Windows just deletes the file after it has been copied. You shouldn't lose anything. I've done the same thing numerous times and never lost anything.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    When you move a file, I'm pretty sure Windows just deletes the file after it has been copied. You shouldn't lose anything. I've done the same thing numerous times and never lost anything.

There is a method of holding the correct key that will automatically delete after moving the file (I'm not talking about Cut). I can't remember what is though icon_scratch.gif If he did it that way it could be toast. I can't imagine it would delete it till it was moved though.
  • Options
    mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
    Ah well. Cheers for the replies but I can't find the files anywhere. Tried all sorts of format and delete recovery Software but with no luck.