Options

How does this look for a CCNA Lab?!?!

ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
Hi everyone. Been looking to get some CCNA Lab items and also something I can continue forward into CCNP with. How does this look. All feedback greatly appreciated!

(COPIED FROM SITE)

(four) series 1700 routers , with 2 WIC-T1 Serial Modules
(one) 1600 series

(one) 2500 series

(three) 5000 series, with 1 management console, and 1 24port switch between them, ya i know

(one) 4000 series
(one) 1900 series switch
(one) ancient frame relay server
(three) CSU/DSU terminal adapters

and almost all the power cables and data cables to match them.

Going for $175.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If the 1700's are 1721, 1751 (desktop routers) or 1760 (rackmount) then the $175 is a fair price -- but only if it's free shipping or you don't get any of the other equipment. You can usually find 1721s (with power bricks & max memory) for about $50 each (or less if you bid patiently on eBay). 1760 are popular for Voice studies, but you can find some steals on eBay if you're patient.

Don't bother with the 1600.

The 2501 is useful if it has the transceiver & max memory (and the last 12.2 Enterprise Plus IOS) since it does have the built in serial ports -- worth about $10-15

You don't want the 5000 -- they were really nice back in the 90's but they are worthless for current CCNA Lab studies.

Is the 4000 the old 4000 router series (which could be used as a frame relay switch)? Or is it the new 4000 switch chassis (which could be a nice switch, but useless for a CCNA Lab)?

The 1900 makes a nice coffee cup coaster. It's worth a $1 at most. It might be fun to watch one become root bridge in your lab network -- once.

Sounds more like someone getting rid of old junk.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    Its a local Craigslisting. I've been chatting with the guy about them. Hope to get the specifics soon.

Sounds like i should maybe pass though. He told me i can snag it for $150 if i come tonight. I dunno. How are the labs on cisco kits site. Are they over priced? Worth the price of admission? I see a few bundles. Seems like the easy way out. All in one.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its a local Craigslisting. I've been chatting with the guy about them. Hope to get the specifics soon.

Sounds like i should maybe pass though. He told me i can snag it for $150 if i come tonight.

That seems suspect... I would personally pass.
    How are the labs on cisco kits site. Are they over priced? Worth the price of admission? I see a few bundles. Seems like the easy way out. All in one.

IMO the CiscoKits.com labs are a bit overpriced and antiquated. I can understand the price because it is an all-in-one package which saves you the hassle of researching/hunting which equipment to purchase. Because most (if not all of us) are looking to save a buck or two, I would recommend you patiently bid on ebay. Search these forums for recommended lab ideas and head on over to ebay to see what kind of deals you see. Best of luck to you.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That seems suspect... I would personally pass.

IMO the CiscoKits.com labs are a bit overpriced and antiquated. I can understand the price because it is an all-in-one package which saves you the hassle of researching/hunting which equipment to purchase. Because most (if not all of us) are looking to save a buck or two, I would recommend you patiently bid on ebay. Search these forums for recommended lab ideas and head on over to ebay to see what kind of deals you see. Best of luck to you.

I like CablesAndKits.Com

Just bought a 3500 from them in great order. They pack there stuff in plastic and then in that molded stuff for safe shipping. Also, you can't beat the M&Ms they send with it. YUM icon_cheers.gif They also have listings on eBay.