Options

CCENT study problems on scenarios. Somebody please help me.

mikejj83mikejj83 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

My name is Mike and I am new to this form. I am also in need of assistance in preparing for the CCENT exam.

Just a little background, I am new to Cisco certs but do have the entry comptia’s, such as the A+, Network+, Server+, as well as the entry level Microsoft certifications. I work on a help desk doing level one support.

I have been trying to study for Cisco’s CCENT using CBT Nuggets and the Cisco Press book for the last several months. I also have the Cisco lab simulator that I purchased directly from Cisco. I also have the transcended practice test.

I have a good grasp on operating Cisco’s IOS and the concepts. However, I started the practice test on the Boson software that came with the Cisco press book, as well as the transcenders and I am just getting killed!

I am presented with diagrams of a network with multiple subnets and am excepted to find the problems with them, such as the subnetting scheme. I look at these diagrams and the possible answers and I am at almost a complete loss. The explinations are also confusing to me. Even after using CBT Nuggets and the Cisco Press book. I don’t know how these questions can be answered on the real exam under the time constraints.

It is to the point where I feel like throwing in the towel and calling it quits for the CCENT. I was hoping someone here could provide me with advice and insight on maybe another way to tackle this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike J

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Watch the 4 subnetting videos that are on CBT Nuggets. Watch them over and over and over again. Of all the subnetting tutorials that I have seen, Jeremy explains it the best. Then, when you feel comfortable understanding those videos, go to subnettingquestions.com and try to answer at least 5 in a row correctly. The subnetting questions on the Boson tests are worded in a way that makes you think out of the box first, they may be too difficult for you at this point.

Dont give up, subnetting is easier than you think it is.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mike J,

First and foremost, welcome to TE! Don't quit... we all started at that very same point in which you're at. Just relax a bit... take a deep breath and lets work through your problem.

Are you taking a simulation exam for the 640-802 (which is the composite exam)? If so, then maybe you should start with the 640-822 practice exams. Give us an idea of the type of questions you're having problems with, let us know which parts you understand, and the TE members will work with you to resolve your problems. If you're hurting with subnetting... search the forums for subnetting help.

You've come to the right place... good luck with your studies.

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    I would not put too much weight on the Boson Exams that came with the book. I was bombing them as well.

I was having trouble grasping subnetting when I was studying using the cisco press book ICND 1 book. You might want to pick up the CCNA study guide by todd lammle. After studying with that book I understood everything much better. IMO, Lammle explains thing in a way that is much easier to understand.

Good Luck!
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    human151 wrote: »
    I would not put too much weight on the Boson Exams that came with the book. I was bombing them as well.

Good Luck!

I 2nd that, the boson Exams are a lot harder than the real thing. Don't let that slow you down, just use them as a study tool. I liked the exam that came with Jeremy's Exam Cram book, I believe it's called Measure up. It is much more comparable to the real thing. I also like Chris Bryant's ultimate CCNA study guide and practice tests. His website is a little like an infomercial, but his material is solid.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It sounds like you have a blessed name, so you should be ok ;)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikejj83 wrote: »
    Hello,

My name is Mike and I am new to this form. I am also in need of assistance in preparing for the CCENT exam.

Just a little background, I am new to Cisco certs but do have the entry comptia’s, such as the A+, Network+, Server+, as well as the entry level Microsoft certifications. I work on a help desk doing level one support.

I have been trying to study for Cisco’s CCENT using CBT Nuggets and the Cisco Press book for the last several months. I also have the Cisco lab simulator that I purchased directly from Cisco. I also have the transcended practice test.

I have a good grasp on operating Cisco’s IOS and the concepts. However, I started the practice test on the Boson software that came with the Cisco press book, as well as the transcenders and I am just getting killed!

I am presented with diagrams of a network with multiple subnets and am excepted to find the problems with them, such as the subnetting scheme. I look at these diagrams and the possible answers and I am at almost a complete loss. The explinations are also confusing to me. Even after using CBT Nuggets and the Cisco Press book. I don’t know how these questions can be answered on the real exam under the time constraints.

It is to the point where I feel like throwing in the towel and calling it quits for the CCENT. I was hoping someone here could provide me with advice and insight on maybe another way to tackle this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike J

All great accomplishments take time and proficiency in networking is a long term thing. You have decent materials. Just take your time with them and things will start to make sense over elapsed time.

Good luck.
  • Options
    mikejj83mikejj83 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good evening,

I would like to thank you all very much for making me feel so welcome here. With the support I feel I have from all of you I will continue on my journey to take the CCENT exam.

It seems to me that there is much more material as far as subnetting goes in Wendell Odom's and Todd Lammle's books than in the CBT Nuggets. I love CBT Nuggets because it's so much easier and possible for me to understand. The problem is I just don't know if the processes provided in these videos is enough for the CCENT, due to the fact that the books seem much more involved. Is this the case or is it just me?

I visited subnettingquestions.com and feel confident in my abilities to answer most of the question I have encountered so far. I just need to work on my time.

This weekend I will watch the CBT Nuggets subnetting videos again and take a look read Todd Lammle's and Wendell Odom's material again. I will also try and post some of the questions I was presented with in the Boson and Trancender practice tests and maybe you could give me some perception on how close these are to the real thing and/or how to attack them?

I'm hoping with the encouragement and the support from you I will be able to succeed.

Thank you again!

Mike Jensen
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283