Options

Question about 2501 routers

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
On this page at TE the serial connections are connected DB60 to DB 60 with a CSU/DSU cable. TechExams.Net CCNA LAB: The Hardware

Would this work for connecting the two 2501s I bought? I called CablesandKits and they suggested it to me.

Cisco DB60 to DB60 Cable, 10ft, CAB-HD60MMX-10

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    VL
    I thought you needed "Back to Back" dte/dce cables on a home lab and that the stock of cables I first bought wouldn't work. I tried one non b2b and it still worked fine. Kept the dce with the clocking and no problems.

That link does say cross-over which may mean the same thing as b2b but at $16.95, I hope that includes postage. Although 10m is max distance for this type of cable, why do you want a 10ft one ? That's a lot of spare cable for a home lab gathering dust and annoying the mrs.. [confucias, he say: must not to annoy the mrs with home lab excess cabling as it limits future lab growth tollerance from said mrs...] There's a great seller on uk ebay that does nice little 1ft ones and above that are perfect for home labs called Dantrak. Or is this for work ?
    Kam.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    On this page at TE the serial connections are connected DB60 to DB 60 with a CSU/DSU cable. TechExams.Net CCNA LAB: The Hardware

Would this work for connecting the two 2501s I bought? I called CablesandKits and they suggested it to me.

For my lab I connected a couple of long cables together to get the old back to back thing right. But then a few years ago I found a seller who did short crossover DCE - DTE X.21 cables, just what you are looking for, and i use these primarily now.

Try anthonypanda who I bought flash and dram from back in the day when I upgraded my 2500 routers (which I still use).

::: www.anthonypanda.com :::

It's good you are using real equipment. Sorting out things like this and all the agony of flash partition/squeeze/config-reg/dram/rmon/t.f.t.p IOS upgrade by ethernet/serial/console xmodem and all the rest is worth it's weight in gold in the field. With emulators and such you simply miss out on the sort of setup stuff that a real networking job throws your way where equipment is concerned. If the old timers in an IT department see you struggling with that sort of thing then your CCNA takes a hit.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    VL
    I thought you needed "Back to Back" dte/dce cables on a home lab and that the stock of cables I first bought wouldn't work. I tried one non b2b and it still worked fine. Kept the dce with the clocking and no problems.

That link does say cross-over which may mean the same thing as b2b but at $16.95, I hope that includes postage. Although 10m is max distance for this type of cable, why do you want a 10ft one ?

$16.95 is cheap compared to $35.99+$16 for a female and male cable at eBay. I just want to make sure I have this figured out. I'm confused. icon_sad.gif
    That's a lot of spare cable for a home lab gathering dust and annoying the mrs.. [confucias, he say: must not to annoy the mrs with home lab excess cabling as it limits future lab growth tollerance from said mrs...]

Confucias is right. My wife already walked in and looked at my new network rack. I could tell by the look on her face she was unsure where it needed to be moved to. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    For my lab I connected a couple of long cables together to get the old back to back thing right. But then a few years ago I found a seller who did short crossover DCE - DTE X.21 cables, just what you are looking for, and i use these primarily now.

Try anthonypanda who I bought flash and dram from back in the day when I upgraded my 2500 routers (which I still use).

::: www.anthonypanda.com :::

It's good you are using real equipment. Sorting out things like this and all the agony of flash partition/squeeze/config-reg/dram/rmon/t.f.t.p IOS upgrade by ethernet/serial/console xmodem and all the rest is worth it's weight in gold in the field. With emulators and such you simply miss out on the sort of setup stuff that a real networking job throws your way where equipment is concerned. If the old timers in an IT department see you struggling with that sort of thing then your CCNA takes a hit.

Thanks Turgon! I figured the cable would work. That AnthonyPanda site is perfect.
  • Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282

Hi,

I always buy those cables from this guy, best price on ebay, check this out:

1FT Back to Back DCE/DTE DB60 Crossover Cable
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1FT-Back-to-Back-DCE-DTE-DB60-Crossover-Cable_W0QQitemZ220508881598QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33575a82be

3FT Back to Back DCE/DTE DB60 Crossover Cable
    http://cgi.ebay.com/3FT-Back-to-Back-DCE-DTE-DB60-Crossover-Cable-Cisco_W0QQitemZ220508894036QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33575ab354

Hope this Help. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I just found a great place in Atlanta (which means my orders get here fast) that has excellent prices. Groan... Now I am getting the Cisco bug icon_lol.gif To many nice toys.