Options

Passed BSCI!

M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
Pass with a 798, not quite as well as I had hoped for, but I'll certainly take it any day over fail. To be honest, I had a hard time with this exam, I tried to start off taking my time, and noticed it caught up with me, I finished the last question with less than a minute on the clock (Talk about a rush!).

On to BCMSN, of which, I have a 3550 & three 2950's. Any suggestions for hardware for the wireless/ip telephony parts of the exam?
Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?

Comments

• Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Congratz!

Unless you have the money to spend on WLCs and Voice equipment,you should be able to get through with some extra focus on those area's of the BCMSN.

Otherwise get yourself a 2621 or 1760 and run it as a CCME router,then use the Cisco softphone on your PC..... I really don't think you need to buy yourself some wireless kit just for the BCMSN though unless you really feel the need too....

Good luck!

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Felicidades!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    APA wrote: »
    Congratz!

Unless you have the money to spend on WLCs and Voice equipment,you should be able to get through with some extra focus on those area's of the BCMSN.

Otherwise get yourself a 2621 or 1760 and run it as a CCME router,then use the Cisco softphone on your PC..... I really don't think you need to buy yourself some wireless kit just for the BCMSN though unless you really feel the need too....

Good luck!

I really don't have the money right now, but I need to get a second job anyways, so I'm hoping that the money I can put aside I can attempt to use towards more equipment to help me learn. Another reason I had a hard time with the BSCI is none of my routers supported IPv6, nor multicasting really...I had a lot more IPv6 on the exam than I thought I would (I'd say roughly 50% for me...)
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    M4verick wrote: »
    Another reason I had a hard time with the BSCI is none of my routers supported IPv6, nor multicasting really...I had a lot more IPv6 on the exam than I thought I would (I'd say roughly 50% for me...)

Dynamips/GNS3 should be your best friend.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    Congrats :)
    miller811 wrote: »
    Dynamips/GNS3 should be your best friend.

Indeed. W/O GNS3 I'd feel pretty hopeless. IMO the BSCI lab portfolio is, as well, nearly a requirement for having a chance at this exam. I'm getting ready for my 2nd attempt and am feeling much better about this go around thanks to GNS3+Lab Portfolio.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man. That is indeed a beastly test.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    good job, keep it up.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Good job man, congrats on the pass :)

Any recommendations for me, I am just now starting to study for the BSCI. I just passed my BCMSN this past Thursday. What materials did you use to prepare?
  • Options
    Good job man, congrats on the pass :)

Any recommendations for me, I am just now starting to study for the BSCI. I just passed my BCMSN this past Thursday. What materials did you use to prepare?

For that one I used CBT Nuggets, & the Cisco Press book. I felt that I had a LOT of IPv6 questions. You'll want to know and read everything about IPv6 and feel very comfortable with it. Other than that, same old story, work hard, study hard, get some lab time in. Etc. Congrats on your BCMSN pass. Ironically, I'm moving on to the BCMSN, do have any recommendations for myself?
  • Options
    Thank you :)

I would highly recommend the same as far as studying hard, labbing, I would definitely know wireless. As in the text it is three entire chapters of the BCMSN Official Exam Certification Guide. In addition to that, I would make sure to hit things such as HSRP, GLBP, VRRP (you will get into it) if you haven't seen it yet. Also, CEF, what it is, how it works, CEF Punt. I would just do some studying of the text. Most people recommend the self-study guide as well. I used the Cisco press official exam cert guide, train signal, and then CBT Nuggets for a few videos. If you get any questions once you get started let me know and I'll help in any way that I can :) I spent two months preparing. About 4-5 hours per day or so. How long did you prepare for your BSCI?
  • Options
    Thank you :)

I would highly recommend the same as far as studying hard, labbing, I would definitely know wireless. As in the text it is three entire chapters of the BCMSN Official Exam Certification Guide. In addition to that, I would make sure to hit things such as HSRP, GLBP, VRRP (you will get into it) if you haven't seen it yet. Also, CEF, what it is, how it works, CEF Punt. I would just do some studying of the text. Most people recommend the self-study guide as well. I used the Cisco press official exam cert guide, train signal, and then CBT Nuggets for a few videos. If you get any questions once you get started let me know and I'll help in any way that I can :) I spent two months preparing. About 4-5 hours per day or so. How long did you prepare for your BSCI?

I try to spend no more than a month for any certification any more. So...One month. ;) But then again, I usually average between 5hrs - 8hrs a day if I get the time. I also set aside one day a week (Tuesday) where I make sure I get as much studying done as possible. It's also the day I get together with a buddy, and teach him everything I know and continue to make sure I just study that day. That is a huge help, because he asks questions, I go back to verify, etc. Really forces you to know what's going on. I also use flash cards for certain things (like for the syntax of certain commands, and states of the OSPF neighbor relationship.) I've only used flash cards for A+, & BSCI. And I can honestly say it did help a lot. I've already got a few for BCMSN.
  • Options
    1 month for the BSCI, that is excellent. Good study strategy. I was planning on about two months for the BSCI with about 4-5 hours of study per day. Trying for end of January beginning of February. I am trying to get the CCNP completed before the switchover in June. Also my company does reviews in July I believe, so I wanted to have CCNA which I already have and then the CCNP by then for a good raise :). I am looking into leaving eventually if the right opportunity opens up though. It is a help desk position, and I want to move into the networking side. Good thing is there are opportunities within this same building so something could open up :)