Options

Whick book or site has the best labs?

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
im starting my classes Monday, and i'm just a little concerned about the amt of time im going to be able to spend at the school since its a 60 mile drive for me and i'll probably have to get up before 5 am to make sure i get there ontime. i just purchased the Cisco Press Odom books, but havent had a chance to dive into them yet... i have an old lab set up at my house with:

(2) 2503's
(1) 2520
(1) 2511 access server
(1) 2900 catalyst xl switch

i know i'll have to pick up some newer stuff... part of my classes is a cvoice class, but after all this, i am going to go for the CCNP. do you guys think a 1700 would be the way to go? im assuming the 2503's are basically useless.

anyway, i get worried everytime i read a post and i have no idea what you guys are talking about. i want to be the best i can be at this stuff.

Comments

• Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    tdean wrote: »
    im starting my classes Monday, and i'm just a little concerned about the amt of time im going to be able to spend at the school since its a 60 mile drive for me and i'll probably have to get up before 5 am to make sure i get there ontime. i just purchased the Cisco Press Odom books, but havent had a chance to dive into them yet... i have an old lab set up at my house with:

(2) 2503's
    (1) 2520
    (1) 2511 access server
    (1) 2900 catalyst xl switch

i know i'll have to pick up some newer stuff... part of my classes is a cvoice class, but after all this, i am going to go for the CCNP. do you guys think a 1700 would be the way to go? im assuming the 2503's are basically useless.

anyway, i get worried everytime i read a post and i have no idea what you guys are talking about. i want to be the best i can be at this stuff.

Do you have your CCNA? If not, I would make sure that this course includes CCNA material. It really wouldn't make too much sense to go to a voice class without having a basic understanding enough to pass and have your CCNA itself. Especially since the "CCNA" is a requirement for any certification track that you go down, (Service Provider, Routing and Switching, Wireless, Security, Voice). If it doesn't then it doesn't make much sense to put yourself through that class at this point. Especially since the CCNA itself doesn't cover any voice information at all. You do not start to see this until you start studying for your CCNP and at that point, I'm not sure how deep it goes. I know for the BCMSN there is one chapter on voice and it is extremely basic stuff. I'm sure that is why they have that specific "voice" path to learn all the in-depth material for VOiP. Just my recommendation but that's what I would do. If it doesn't include CCNA material, I wouldn't waste my time. If you have the Books study on your own or take a course for CCNA material. If it does then that's cool too.
  • Options
    tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    thanks, i'll check it out!

oh, i do the voip after i finish ccna.