Options

Scheduled backup task fails

it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
I created a scheduled system state backup task on a W2K3 DC. I have an account that is a member of the backup operators group used to run the task. The account has full control security on the task.

The status always ends up with "could not start".

I think I read in W2K8 "backup operators" cannot run scheduled backups. Is that true in 2003 as well?

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Are you sure you are running it as that account?

Also make sure that if you are sending it to a remote network share that the account has permissions to access that share and write to it.
  • Options
    Yes. I set the credentials.

I'm writing to a folder on a secondary partition. I gave the backup operators permission to it.

Do I need to give the account the ability to run as a batch job or a service?
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    it2b wrote: »

I'm writing to a folder on a secondary partition.

Is there enough space?

What does the backup logfile say?

Is this using the built in NT backup? Does it work if you use the administrator account? Recreate the task and check the password you put in was correct?
  • Options
    I was logged on as a domain admin and scheduling the task to run as a backup operator account.

Since backup scripts run under the profile of the user that creates them, the backup operator didn't have permission to the script.

I logged back on as the Backup operator and scheduled the task. Life is good now.