Options

anyone use a Ebook reader for IT PDFs

2»

Comments

• Options
    CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    I did work around the issue a bit. There is a free program, PDFill PDF Tools, that allows you to crop margins off PDF's so the text size ends up being a bit larger. I took a bit off all sides of the PDF included with the hardcover and while I lost the header and footer, the rest of the text is much more readable.

PDFill PDF Editor with FREE PDF Writer and FREE PDF Tools - www.PDFill.com

I may need this if Que Reader's price is out of my range. Though, I think Que Reader's PDF support is way better than Kindle DX. We shall see.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got the Doyle Cisco Press Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 2nd Edition in Kindle Mobipocket format...

While it's nice have a table of contents that can work, the MobiPocket version shows the sample command output in the same fonts as the regular text, so it's kind of weird. I'd have to say I prefer the PDF of the 1st edition over the Kindle Mobipocket version 2nd edition -- but I don't have a PDF of the 2nd edition.

If that's the best they can do with the "kindle version" of the books, I'll stick with my existing PDF files.

At some point I may go and check if the index exists in the Kindle MobiPocket version and then see if it works.....

I'm happy with the way the DX handles PDF files and and disappointed at the Kindle Mobipocket book version..... Now if they would only give us folders so we can fill up the memory with PDFs & other docs and then be able to access them easily. icon_rolleyes.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If that's the best they can do with the "kindle version" of the books, I'll stick with my existing PDF files.

At some point I may go and check if the index exists in the Kindle MobiPocket version and then see if it works.....

I'm happy with the way the DX handles PDF files and and disappointed at the Kindle Mobipocket book version..... Now if they would only give us folders so we can fill up the memory with PDFs & other docs and then be able to access them easily. icon_rolleyes.gif

Agreed, I wish they included a PDF of the 2nd edition with the hardcover. Folders would be a wonderful addition - then I could finally get around to using my DX like I intended as both a tool to read books on the fly as well as a repository of my PDF books to serve as a reference for when I'm working abroad.
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has anyone tried Microsoft PDF's on a Sony reader? I'm looking at the PRS-505 for novels as well as studying
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    Does anyone have any insight as to whether or how Ebooks handle the "errata" (technical updates/corrections found after publication)?

They're available per publication on the Cisco Press site, for example, but taking a pen to a hard copy to make corrections is much cleaner than taking a pen to a Kindle.
  • Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Piers wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Microsoft PDF's on a Sony reader? I'm looking at the PRS-505 for novels as well as studying

Yes I should'nt get a sony if you want to look at MS books, the sony seems to only be good at formatting pages of text, not other stuff like the boxouts of text, diagrams and other formatting it all looks a bit weird on a sony (making almost unreadable). I guess the sony is only ment for continuous text without any formatting (like a txt file I guess).
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk