Options

New Tech Podcast

steve617steve617 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Oh dont get too excited. I made my first podcast. You can tell I'm a country hick. lol. Took about 4 hours work. this may be a fast end to my public speaking career.

Piney Bluff Tech Guy
"The Piney Bluff Tech Guy"
www.pbtechguy.com

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The accent gives you a down to earth character. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I only have one criticism, though. Your explanation of defrag missed an opportunity to explain it in a non-techie way. 99% of the people who do not know what defrag is or what it does will not understand “file system” nor will they get why it needs to be reorganized.

I always compare the file system to a book case and the files are like encyclopedia sets. Files are divided into pieces, just like a set of encyclopedias is divided into volumes. Ideally a computer will take the volume out, read the information, and once it’s done it will put it back in the correct place. But when the computer gets busy, it acts like a kid in a library and puts it back wherever it’s convenient. This causes the system to become fragmented and means the system has to search for the individual volumes. Just like if you had to search for Britannica Volume B and couldn’t find it between A and C, the system cannot find the pieces of the file as quickly to read the information. So defragmenting your disk drive can improve performance just like a librarian going through the book cases making sure the books are in the proper order makes it easier for people to find the books they need.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    steve617 wrote: »
    Oh dont get too excited. I made my first podcast. You can tell I'm a country hick. lol. Took about 4 hours work. this may be a fast end to my public speaking career.

Piney Bluff Tech Guy

A Southern accent is nothing to be ashamed of. icon_wink.gif

I'm listening to your podcast right now.
  • Options
    I agree i should have done better on the DEFRAG. I had it recorded better and lost my data. Then I just did something shorter. I do a better job explaing the DEFRAG on my archive questions. I used a scenario of clothes in a close dryer. The close representing files how we take the clothes and fold them and put them in their correct location. I was using Goldwave as my recording software and perhaps the next one will be a little better.
    www.pbtechguy.com
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't beat yourself up. It was still pretty good. Do you intend on doing anything more technical or are you sticking to a more consumer support oriented format?
  • Options
    probably stay more consumer since my main readers are customers in our local paper. its mainly to help people with little knowledge.
    www.pbtechguy.com
  • Options
    thanks for the postive post
    www.pbtechguy.com