Options

Frame-relay map ip...

casperino99casperino99 Member Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello guys,

I do not understand why on the CCNA ICND2 book, Wendell Odom
use remote DlCI instead of a Local DLCI, in the command frame-relay map ip <remote ip> <local dlci> . icon_sad.gif

2r6lidk.jpg

framerelay.png

Comments

• Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Casperino,

DLCI's are locally significant only. So you can have DLCI 52 on Mayberry pointed towards Mount Pilot, and vice versa on Mount Pilot towards Mayberry. His diagram there shows each location with its own dlci:
    Mayberry-51
    Mount Pilot-52
    Raleigh-53

So each local router uses that locations dlci in its local database. I think you know the concept, and are just misunderstanding the diagram. Remember, local significance only.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Casperino,

DLCI's are locally significant only. So you can have DLCI 52 on Mayberry pointed towards Mount Pilot, and vice versa on Mount Pilot towards Mayberry. His diagram there shows each location with its own dlci:
    Mayberry-51
    Mount Pilot-52
    Raleigh-53

So each local router uses that locations dlci in its local database. I think you know the concept, and are just misunderstanding the diagram. Remember, local significance only.

I think you misunderstood him. Look at the diagram and then look at the ios output. Theyre pobably typos or the diagram doesnt show the other set of dlci's since each location should have two.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood him. Look at the diagram and then look at the ios output. Theyre pobably typos or the diagram doesnt show the other set of dlci's since each location should have two.

The configuration is fine for the diagram. What the diagram and configuration are getting at is that anytime Mayberry sends traffic to Mount Pilot it will use DLCI 52 and it will use 53 to get to Raleigh. When ever Raleigh sends to Mayberry it will use 51 and use 52 to Mount Pilot and so on.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    The configuration is fine for the diagram. What the diagram and configuration are getting at is that anytime Mayberry sends traffic to Mount Pilot it will use DLCI 52 and it will use 53 to get to Raleigh. When ever Raleigh sends to Mayberry it will use 51 and use 52 to Mount Pilot and so on.

I have to say that I agree with networkers explanation. It is valid you can verify how it works by looking at the configuration that you actually included. I have to say that DLCI's aren't always considered locally significant. There is a chance that you could see Global DLCI assignments. I will check this diagram in my CCNA book when I get home and respond again. I think that is what this has to do with if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567

Yep....
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    use remote DlCI instead of a Local DLCI, in the command frame-relay map ip <remote ip> <local dlci> .

It shouldn't say local dlci but the dlci that is used to get to the remote IP. This is from the command reference

frame-relay map protocol protocol-address dlci [broadcast] [ietf | cisco] [payload-compress {packet-by-packet | frf9 stac [hardware-options] | data-stream stac [hardware-options]}]

dlci
    DLCI number used to connect to the specified protocol address on the interface.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    Cisco Frame Relay Configurations > Configuring Static and Dynamic DLCI to Network Layer Address Mapping

...The router needs to understand the relationship between the specified next hop protocol address of the remote destination and the specific DLCI of a local outgoing virtual circuit. In other words, before a Cisco router is able to transmit data to a remote destination over Frame Relay, it needs to know which DLCI to use. Cisco routers support all network layer protocols over Frame Relay, such as IP, IPX, and AppleTalk. This address-to-DLCI mapping can be accomplished either by static or dynamic mapping. Dynamic and static mapping of the next hop protocol address to a specific local DLCI value is explained in this section.

...[SIZE=-1]Configure the Frame Relay static mapping for the specified next hop protocol address and the specified local DLCI.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]

This is global DLCI addressing...

Is there any difference on the configuration between global and local DLCI addressing?
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
    Thanks guys for the answers... [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
  • Options

Shouldn't the config on Mayberry be:

frame-relay map ip 199.1.1.2 51 broadcast

?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You are looking at the diagram wrong. The diagram is showing what DLCI the routers would use to reach that site.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    You are looking at the diagram wrong. The diagram is showing what DLCI the routers would use to reach that site.

Ah, that explains it. Although its a bit misleading if you ask me.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    The router will get its DLCI via LMI from the FR switch so the below config is from a FR switch

interface Serial5
    description Connected to Rack1R5
    encapsulation frame-relay
    clockrate 64000
    frame-relay intf-type dce
    frame-relay route 501 interface Serial0 105
    frame-relay route 502 interface Serial1 205
    frame-relay route 503 interface Serial2 305
    frame-relay route 504 interface Serial4 405
    frame-relay route 513 interface Serial3 315

so R5 will get DLCI 501-504 and 513 and the other router on S0 will get DLCI 105, it will then inverse arp for ther remote IP and the router with DLCI 105 will respond with his IP address and the router on S0 will inverse arp for DLCI 105 and R5 will respond with its IP address and now you have reachability both ways.

This is from R5 perspective

RSRack1R5#sh frame pvc | i PVC
    PVC Statistics for interface Serial0/0 (Frame Relay DTE)
    DLCI = 501, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial0/0
    DLCI = 502, DLCI USAGE = UNUSED, PVC STATUS = INACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial0/0
    DLCI = 503, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial0/0
    DLCI = 504, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial0/0
    DLCI = 513, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial0/0
    RSRack1R5#sh frame map
    Serial0/0 (up): ip 183.1.123.1 dlci 501(0x1F5,0x7C50), dynamic,
    broadcast,, status defined, active
    Serial0/0 (up): ip 183.1.123.3 dlci 503(0x1F7,0x7C70), dynamic,
    Serial0/0 (up): ip 183.1.0.3 dlci 513(0x201,0x8010), dynamic,
    Serial0/0 (up): ip 183.1.0.4 dlci 504(0x1F8,0x7C80), dynamic,
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    Hello guys,

use remote DlCI instead of a Local DLCI, in the command frame-relay map ip <remote ip> <local dlci> . icon_sad.gif

2r6lidk.jpg

framerelay.png

Hi casperino99,

Here is what the pic is trying to says:

Malberry Router:
    Uses DLCI 52 to Mount Pilot
    Uses DLCI 53 to Raleigh

Mount Pilot Router:
    Uses DLCI 51 to Mayberry
    Uses DLCI 53 to Raleigh

Raleigh Router:
    Uses DLCI 52 to Mount Pilot
    Uses DLCI 51 to Mayberry

What is confusing in that pic is how the DLCIs are located and that is why you are confused, but you are right DLCIs are locally assigned. Global DLCIs are beyond CCNA so don't worry about that (for now). icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Thanks guys... All of you... icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Good tip I used when building this at home.

Routers 1, 2, 3 and FRS in centre.

DLCI from R1 to R2 is numbered 122 ("One to Two")
    DLCI from R1 to R3 is numbered 123 ("One to Three")

DLCI from R2 to R1 is numbered 221 ("Two to One")
    DLCI from R2 to R3 is numbered 223 ("Two to Three")

DLCI from R3 to R1 is numbered 321 ("Three to One")
    DLCI from R3 to R2 is numbered 322 ("Three to Two")

This tip helped me figure out the confusion of DLCIs quite a lot. IP addresses on the R interfaces and job done.
    Kam.
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□

Does this diagram show the same thing? But in actuality DLCI 102/103 would be the DLCIs local to Router A?

e.g.

Router A -> B would use DLCI 102
    Router A -> B would use DLCI 103

etc.
  • Options
    johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dontstop wrote: »

Does this diagram show the same thing? But in actuality DLCI 102/103 would be the DLCIs local to Router A?

e.g.

Router A -> B would use DLCI 102
    Router A -> B would use DLCI 103

etc.

you know...that previous is post is kinda old...