Options

Microsoft Deployment tookit 2010

coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
Can you create a complete image all in one file like Ghost or Acronis with this tool? I need to create an imge install new bare metal drives and apply the image on to the new drives.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, if you look in the Windows 7 forum you will find a lot of information for the WAIK in the 686 sticky. Once you figure out how to use it, the WAIK is amazingly flexible and powerful. Good luck!
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    What you are looking for is WAIK. The functionality of MDT is more to deploy the images more seamlessly than with just WDS. WAIK is a "component" of MDT.

WAIK contains the actual tools to create WinPE discs/flash drives and the imageX and DISM tools to manage and apply the images.
  • Options
    Well I read the stuff on WAIK and created a WinPE boot cd with imagex. I created an image with it and then formated the newly installed disks with ntfs and created a partition and set it active and assinged drive letter C. I used imagex to apply the image it completed and I tried to boot and no dice, boot.ini, ntldr, and the other files never imaged down this tool is a joke, all I want to do is put my server config on new faster array disks on the same platform PE 1950 Gen 3 but Micro$oft can't make an easy tool like Acronis or ghost thaT WORKS!!! back to ground zero.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    coax31 wrote: »
    Well I read the stuff on WAIK and created a WinPE boot cd with imagex. I created an image with it and then formated the newly installed disks with ntfs and created a partition and set it active and assinged drive letter C. I used imagex to apply the image it completed and I tried to boot and no dice, boot.ini, ntldr, and the other files never imaged down this tool is a joke, all I want to do is put my server config on new faster array disks on the same platform PE 1950 Gen 3 but Micro$oft can't make an easy tool like Acronis or ghost thaT WORKS!!! back to ground zero.

Why don't you use the free 30 day trial of Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition?

Or P2V it, load your hypervisor of choice with the new disks installed, and setup the VM on the Hypervisor?
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    coax31 wrote: »

Did you remember to run the

bootsect C: /nt52

command after applying the wim?

If you arent going to learn to use a tool properly, dont insult it. The tools work very well and are free of charge, so I dont see much ground for moaning about it.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Did you remember to run the

bootsect C: /nt52

command after applying the wim?

If you arent going to learn to use a tool properly, dont insult it. The tools work very well and are free of charge, so I dont see much ground for moaning about it.

I saw something about that command but it was not availble on my WinPE disk, I may have to make a new iso winpe disk with that tool included...and your right I was moaning