Options

Internet Explorer 7 (and 8) - Temporary Internet Files and History Settings – GPO

LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone know if/where the group policy setting for the ‘Check for newer versions of stored pages’ in IE Options > Browsing History Settings is (see attached screenshot)?

We need to set this globally as ‘automatic’ to prevent issues which we experience with SQL Reporting Services when data is being changed and report still bringing back the previous results (not automatically refreshing).

I’ve search everywhere for an answer to this but have had no joy! icon_smile.gif

Anyone got any ideas?

I’m using the IE7 ADM Pack from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=11ab3e81-6462-4fda-8ee5-fcb8264c44b1&displaylang=en

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Luke

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    You could just change a setting on the server or page to prevent caching that particular page

How to prevent caching in Internet Explorer
  • Options
    Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

However, I’m afraid due to the nature of the pages being generated by the Reporting Services binaries, we cannot amend the code within them.

Our server currently has 'Expire Immediately' set on the Reporting Services IIS site (see attached screenshot).

This should have the same effect (if not, better) than using the HTTP_HEADER tags within an ASP page as it will be automatically set for any and all resources requested from the server.

Going back to the orignal thread, I've just been reminded that there is a policy setting for this option found here:-

User Configuration > Windows Settings > Internet Explorer Maintenance > Preference Mode > Advanced > Corporate Settings > Temporary Internet Files (User)

However, despite this the setting still doesn't apply to machines via the policy. Users' can still change the setting with IE and it's not default set to 'Automatic'.
    SS.jpg 51.8K
  • Options
    Does anyone have any ideas on this?

I found this registry key which may help:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\Syncmode5 Dword 3

However, setting it to 1, 2, 3 doesn't seem to change the option with IE so may affect something else.

This solution was posted here: Windows Group_Policy GP setting for "Check for newer versions of stored pages"