Options

Security+ testing experience

dorawedorawe Member Posts: 106
Hi all, I just finished taking the Security+ exam this morning, and as promised, here are my observations:

-The testing site was very good. I arrived 40 minutes prior to my scheduled time, and they took me in right away. I'm glad they did that, so I didn't have time for my mind to wander. The room was very quiet and the people administering the test were friendly. You couldn't ask for a better place. I'll definitely go there again.

-The test was along the lines that I expected, no surprises. Most of the questions were straight-forward, which I was thankful for. A couple questions I had to read through several times, but I think that is common. I would have to say that there were only 2-3 questions that I had to guess.

-For those who would like to know, my study material included the
SY0-201 AIO guide, the included Master exam questions, and Preplogic test questions. After reading the list of material that veritas_libertas and others used, I was a bit nervous going in, hoping that I had all of my bases covered. I did use Wikipedia on occasion, so I should include that as well.

-Anyway, I got an 852 on the exam, so I'm relieved.

Thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement. Next stop, CISSP!!

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!
    I'm glad to know that the questions were straight forward.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am glad the test went well for you. Seems like you almost took another version of the test icon_lol.gif I guess that is what happens when they throw out random versions of the test, huh? Great score. Good luck with the CISSP, any plans for when you are going to take the test?
  • Options
    - At least I didn't have the workstation shut down in the middle of the test like you did.....that would have thrown a monkey-wrench in anyone's focus......

Not sure about when I'll be ready to take the CISSP. From what I've read over on that forum, it's a completely different animal, so I'll have to prepare more. To be honest, for both the Network+ and Security+ exams, I only studyed for 6 weeks for each of them, and I will definitely take more time than that for CISSP.
  • Options
    dorawe wrote: »
    - At least I didn't have the workstation shut down in the middle of the test like you did.....that would have thrown a monkey-wrench in anyone's focus......

Not sure about when I'll be ready to take the CISSP. From what I've read over on that forum, it's a completely different animal, so I'll have to prepare more. To be honest, for both the Network+ and Security+ exams, I only studyed for 6 weeks for each of them, and I will definitely take more time than that for CISSP.

I really want to take the SSCP next year but I am unsure how many months ahead I should study for. The latest one I see for my state is March, and I don't know if they just aren't showing the one for later in the year.
  • Options
    I can't wait too long.....I was given notice back in August that my position will be eliminated in June 2010, so I want to get it before that time. That's what caused the urgency to get all of these certs asap. Although I was initially disappointed, I'm looking forward to moving on to something new.
  • Options
    I can't wait too long.....I was given notice back in August that my position will be eliminated in June 2010, so I want to get it before that time. That's what caused the urgency to get all of these certs asap. Although I was initially disappointed, I'm looking forward to moving on to something new.

The CISSP should definitely help open doors for you. What are your long term goals dorawe? Security?
  • Options
    Yes, I want focus more on the Security side of IT. For the past few years I've had application security/access controls duties, but the majority of my time has been application support, hence the SAP SCM cert that I acquired earlier this year. Due to the structure of the company I work for, most of the work was done offshore and we've been relegated to 2nd level helpdesk-type work. I've been doing IT support for a living for over 20 years (started when a 40MB HDD was an upgrade)
  • Options
    Yes, I want focus more on the Security side of IT. For the past few years I've had application security/access controls duties, but the majority of my time has been application support, hence the SAP SCM cert that I acquired earlier this year. Due to the structure of the company I work for, most of the work was done offshore and we've been relegated to 2nd level helpdesk-type work. I've been doing IT support for a living for over 20 years (started when a 40MB HDD was an upgrade)

Ah yes, 20 and 40mb hard drives those were days...

Sounds like you have a good plan going. I wish you luck!
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations. Great score.

Security+ is a great warm up for the CISSP. Good luck.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    www .sy0-201.com

Security+ Blog
    sy0201.blogspot. com

Security+ Tip of day Tweets
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson
  • Options
    Thanks Darril.........actually, I've got a question for you. Do you belong to any Infosec communiites here in Tidewater? I think it would be good to join, and thought maybe you had experience with some/any that are local.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm (unfortunately) not Darril, but have you looked at ISSA and/or ISACA?
  • Options
    abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    Nice pass! I plan to take this mid December.
  • Options
    Dynamik, I have briefly looked at ISSA, but since Darril and I are from the same area, I was just checking for his experiences. You know, some of these groups are not worth your time or don't provide any real value. If I wanted to hang out with a bunch of 'holier than thou's', I'd go to my in-laws.........
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Sorry, but no, I don't belong or even know of any local Infosec communities in Tidewater. Well, other than the big one: the military. I'm retired military and work on Langley AFB. There's a lot of emphasis on information security on a day-to-day basis, but not many public forurms.

Darril
    Thanks Darril.........actually, I've got a question for you. Do you belong to any Infosec communiites here in Tidewater? I think it would be good to join, and thought maybe you had experience with some/any that are local.