Options

Snmp

tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
Hey,

I've always been aware of SNMP but I've never really read much into it because we'd had other monitoring solutions. I now want to get as much information ans I can with an aim to impliment it across a whole host of Cisco and Windows servers.

Has anyone done anything similar? I'd also like recommendations on books and software.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Cacti and Nagios are your friends
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are probably already well aware of this and without trying to teach you to suck eggs here, avoid SNMP v1 and v2 like the plague and if you absolutely have to use them ensure that they are secured as much as possible, i.e. the default community names etc are changes. They are inherently flawed.

See here: http://www.aethis.com/solutions/snmp_research/snmpv3_vs_wp.pdf

Try to use SNMP v3.

All the best,

Luke
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    Enable SNMP on Windows Server 2003

I have a few post on cacti/nagios on my blog. Also that link is to enabling snmp on windows server 2003.

If you have any questions or problems let me know.
  • Options
    Silentsoul wrote: »
    Enable SNMP on Windows Server 2003

I have a few post on cacti/nagios on my blog. Also that link is to enabling snmp on windows server 2003.

If you have any questions or problems let me know.

What is your blog url, I dont see it.
  • Options
    SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SNMP is very powerful and is often central to any Network Monitoring System (NMS). I was part of a team that built a NMS from scratch for a Metro network (the architect wanted full control so we built it from the ground up) that utilized SNMP for the data collection connecting with a Oracle DB that can monitor/log bandwidth traffic pattern and predict certain network behaviours based on previous traffic history.
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    phoeneous wrote: »
    What is your blog url, I dont see it.

I linked to it in my first post with Enable SNMP on Windows Server 2003
    It is also in my profile have not posted in a few days. Been super busy studying for the CCNA.
  • Options
    Silentsoul wrote: »
    I linked to it in my first post with Enable SNMP on Windows Server 2003
    It is also in my profile have not posted in a few days. Been super busy studying for the CCNA.

Pardon by blindness :)

Good luck with ccna, I just passed a few days ago.