Options

Entitled end users

Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
This is a bit of a rant.

We constantly have people at work who think that they own the computers they use in their labs/classrooms or desk (school system). I mean they honestly throw a fit when we remove their local admin rights and join their machine to our AD domain.

Of course, being government, some of these people have friends in high places so they talk to the IT dept like we are trash and try to get us in trouble for simply doing what we were told to do.

What the heck is with people thinking they own the equipment that their employer lets them use and getting upset and offended when they are told how they will use it?

Some people threw a fit because there is a logon banner icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I mean they honestly throw a fit when we remove their local admin rights and join their machine to our AD domain.

This kind of threw me off. Wouldn't their systems already be joined to the domain and local admin removed prior to their use?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    What rsutton said.

Tell them it is part of the AUP for IT.
  • Options
    rsutton wrote: »
    This kind of threw me off. Wouldn't their systems already be joined to the domain and local admin removed prior to their use?

We are migrating sites that are workgroups to the domain, as many as 600 machines per site, heh.

Theyve been local admins for so many years and not in a domain environment that they just throw fits when something changes.

They have signed an AUP to use the equipment in the district but they seem to forget its contents all too quickly.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Nobody likes change.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Nobody likes change.

+ Nobody reads the agreement.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Of course, being government, some of these people have friends in high places so they talk to the IT dept like we are trash and try to get us in trouble for simply doing what we were told to do.

Classic icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I can see both sides of the argument. Either way, grown adults should not whine when they don't get there way.
  • Options
    Either way, grown adults should not whine when they don't get there way.

Unless you're these people...

9202a8c04000641f800000000976a8b5?errorid=%2Ffreebase%2Fno_image_png&maxheight=200&mode=fit&maxwidth=150
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your post brought up reminders of my day, and a frequent occurrence at my workplace. Our users (primarily realtors) often times call for support on their home machines. Our formal policy is to provide telephone support but nothing more than the basics of getting various resources working that they access as a realtor. All too often we get calls for support where their home computer is spyware or virus ridden and since they pay a monthly "teltech fee" which is our charge to provide them with an office, phones, copiers, website, e-mail, Internet, our support for their office computer, etc - they automatically assume we are going to be their guardian angels for their home computers too.

We always tell them no and direct them to an outside company or we are also allowed to do work on the side outside of office hours for them and charge them. Many of them nag and complain trying to get us to bend over backwards and repair their home computers as well and will sometimes stop at nothing to get their way.

It seems each industry I've worked in has their own unique group of these sorts of people.

It's really quite sad how society in general has slowly evolved into a society that takes to heart what appears to be a grossly inflated version of "the customer is always right" and will stop at nothing, regardless of how unreasonable requests may be, to get their way. I'm so thankful I no longer work in the retail sector, as those people have to put up with so much garbage I never desire to return to that line of work. Those people really put up with an awful lot of abuse from unreasonable individuals.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just stop caring. It's the only way you'll ever succeed in IT. They're abusing company resources, don't like being told they can't do it any more, and are throwing a fit. This is childish behavior and it shouldn't bother you. I actually feel bad for people when all it takes is some arbitrary change to their daily routine to set them off. Pretty sad.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I prefer the old crush their spirit track. Atila "systems admin" Hun style. No mercy!

yeah I'm just kidding, but people can be stupid.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can see both sides of the argument. Either way, grown adults should not whine when they don't get there way.

Can you please tell this to my wife?!?!?!?
  • Options
    Can you please tell this to my wife?!?!?!?

I'll tell that to yo momma! OH SNAP! icon_razz.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Many of them nag and complain trying to get us to bend over backwards and repair their home computers as well and will sometimes stop at nothing to get their way.

It's really quite sad how society in general has slowly evolved into a society that takes to heart what appears to be a grossly inflated version of "the customer is always right" and will stop at nothing, regardless of how unreasonable requests may be, to get their way. I'm so thankful I no longer work in the retail sector, as those people have to put up with so much garbage I never desire to return to that line of work. Those people really put up with an awful lot of abuse from unreasonable individuals.

Have you seen the crap on the MCP Beta Exam Blog or on CodePlex? I am amazed at the way people talk when they do not have to look at the person to whom they are speaking.

What I love is the people who are supposed to be highly technical, want to work with SQL Server 2008 and cannot even figure out how to install the AdventureWorks2008 databases and then cry and complain that it is Microsoft’s fault and they need to fix the problem, when had these people simply followed the instructions provided in the documentation it would have worked fine.
    Or the people on the Beta Exam blog who complain that they didn’t get to take the beta... Give me a break. Just because you are an MCSE does not entitle you to free exams. There are 10s of thousands of MCPs in the world; we cannot all get free stuff. So even those of us who are in IT and should no better than to behave this way still do sometimes.
  • Options
    I'll tell that to yo momma! OH SNAP! icon_razz.gif
    My mother's a saint! You shut it!

<LOL>:D
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I feel your pain as it is the same at the place I work. All the users have admin rights and it leads to more problems then it is worth. I had a user complain about pop-ups and I start looking through the machine to find Limewire on it (amongst other things). I told her you are suppose to have that on a work machine and then I was blasted for 10 minutes about saying anything about it. It's a pain in the arse for sure!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    My mother's a saint! You shut it!

<LOL>:D

Does your mom's name happen to be Dorothy Mantooth?
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it wasn't for these people there wouldn't be much of an IT field. You learn to develop a thick skin it only gets far worse the higher up you go.

It's not only in our field its society in general people are ahole's is the conclusion i've come too. Not a shred of decency or compassion.
  • Options
    Does your mom's name happen to be Dorothy Mantooth?

Why, yes it is. And she does love sea food!
  • Options
    94jedi94jedi Member Posts: 177
    I hate to tell ya but this is par for the course (crappy end users) for IT. Without them, we might not have jobs.
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
  • Options
    94jedi wrote: »
    I hate to tell ya but this is par for the course (crappy end users) for IT. Without them, we might not have jobs.

We would not have jobs if everyone learned how to use PCs and other systems very well. It does not make sense that not being an expert in technology requires you to mistreat or be rude to others.

This is not an end user issue, it's a human issue.
  • Options
    94jedi94jedi Member Posts: 177

This is not an end user issue, it's a human issue.

actually, yes. you're 100% correct.
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One of my friends was bitching about how his company wouldn't let him install iTunes and how it was such a pain to wait for them to install the applications he needed. I told him good and that I was impressed that his company was so on the ball. All you need is one machine to own their entire network.
  • Options
    I had a lady come up to me today and say

"I went home and complained to my husband about all the changes you guys are making to our computers and how I cant install what i want anymore...he told me that it should have been that way all along, and that he cant install what he wants at his work so I shouldnt be complaining"

I lol'd for a while off of that one.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Just stop caring. It's the only way you'll ever succeed in IT. .

This is the best advice ever......icon_thumright.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283