Options

Got my first official IT job.

steve617steve617 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
As many of you knows I had a interview last week to work at a Tech Support Call center. Its for a subcontracter for a very large company. Should start probably the 30th of this month or the week after. I have 3 weeks left before I graduate for my BS in Information Technology. Just wondering if there are anything in paticular I should study on to prepare for a good start. Just for your information. I'm 46 never worked at any call center. I have repaired a lot of computers and have done a lot of trouble shooting as a small side business but never done this type of work. They said its kind of laid back and ill just be listening and observing for a while. Thanks for any advice.

Steve
"The Piney Bluff Tech Guy"
www.pbtechguy.com

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    steve617 wrote: »
    Just wondering if there are anything in paticular I should study on to prepare for a good start.
    How to handle frightened, upset, and irate people. You will be the hero, the goat, the sympathetic shoulder, and the target of rath--all in the same day. And you will discover that Help Desk is more about human psychology than computer engineering.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    JDMurray wrote: »
    How to handle frightened, upset, and irate people. You will be the hero, the goat, the sympathetic shoulder, and the target of rath--all in the same day. And you will discover that Help Desk is more about human psychology than computer engineering.

+1 It's all about handling the customer. You can give the customer exactly what they are asking for, and you can be their worse enemy. Its all about how you present them their answer, not about what the answer is.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck with the new job.

+1 for the Psychology. Helping by phone is often very difficult and stressful.
  • Options
    steve617steve617 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks I remember one of the A+ practice questions had pertained to not taking the callers personally. In the the interview the manager said that we were there to help them.
    "The Piney Bluff Tech Guy"
    www.pbtechguy.com
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    icon_cheers.gif

Congratulations -- and Good Luck!!

Don't take any of the calls or irate customers personally.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!