across a network unattended install help

cknapecknape Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
i know iam being a bit thick but can somebody help me with my problem.
i have windows 2000 server sharing a distribution folder called win2000dist. i wish to install windows2000 pro located inside this folder with the unattended answer file in there too. i have booted from another machine using a network bootdisk to map to the share. the domain logs me in as admin no problem. i can see the files in the share no problem.
i then run the winnt command with the /s: /u: switches to commence the installation. but then i get a error saying "could noy find place to put swap file". my question is am i running the command from the wrong place and how does the share no where to install the files too. i already have winxp on the client but i thought it would just install over it. by running the command from the mapped share how does it know where i want them, i used ghost to map to the share.
any help would save my head from more pills.

thankyou
A+
NETWORK+
MCP 70-270 70-290

Comments

• lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Can you read the directory of the client HD?

The only problem I found with this form of installation is that the target disk must be formatted. If you are using one of the available network boot disks (like Brad's or Bart's) you might be using a version of DOS that cannot see NTFS partitions, therefore there is nowhere to put the swap file.

Format the HD as FAT32 and try again. It makes this method clunky in real life because you would naturally want to convert it to NTFS later.

If this is for practice, go a step further (once you've mastered this) and learn how to install via network booting-- boot up using your NIC, which can get the installation code from the server and then format the HD and install the OS. It's called RIS and it's way cool.

Good luck!
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • cknapecknape Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    many thanks for the help, did as you suggested and everything worked fine , when os was installed just from convert command to convert to ntfs.

thanks
    A+
    NETWORK+
    MCP 70-270 70-290